Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The LEGO Group and Disney Announce Licensing Agreement

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: The LEGO Group and Disney Announce Licensing Agreement

Postby Wonko » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:44 pm

Not only Toy Story, but also Prince of Persia.

But still, this news makes me hope for WALL-E and/or Incredibles sets. sets.
Hey! New forums 'round here.
I'll still use haiku for sigs
That's just how I roll.
Wonko

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:27 am

Wonko wrote:But still, this news makes me hope for WALL-E and/or Incredibles sets. sets.

I don't think so. The only real reason I see LEGO making these sets is because of the sequels to Car and Toy Story (and therefore increased interest). Not many kids will be interested in sets from film/film series that came out years ago (and Star Wars, while over 30 years old, has new aspect to it that keep it going).

I think that is also why the Batman sets 'failed'.
Master Fetty

Postby Skafte » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:39 am

Is there a possibility they will make a sequel to WALL-E? I haven't seen it, so I wouldn't know... Then I imagine they might like to produce some robot LEGO sets.
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:32 am

I don't think so. There's little in it that could be used to make a good sequel (and while Toy Story didn't, it does still have the ability in there to produce stories). And if there is a sequel, it wouldn't be until 2014 or so, which could be after the liscene ends.
Master Fetty

Postby Big C » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:38 am

I would be very surprised if there was a Wall•E sequel. Outside of Cars and Toy Story, the only other movie I could see doing well with a sequel would be The Incredibles.
Big C

Postby Monkfish » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:10 am

Big C wrote:I would be very surprised if there was a Wall•E sequel. Outside of Cars and Toy Story, the only other movie I could see doing well with a sequel would be The Incredibles.

The Incredibles, now that'd be an awesome line.
Monkfish

Postby Inzane » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 am

Disney + Lego?? Oh man.

I've got one thing to say to that.

Give me TRON...................

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Gimme, gimme, gimme......... me want! :lol:
Inzane

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Well with Tr2n, that is a serious posibility.
Master Fetty

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:58 pm

I agree with natelite that Toy Story sets would make more sense if they are building the characters. I mean, what are the other options? Building a giant bed? A giant minivan? A giant...well, you get the idea. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that Cars is the one getting the Duplo treatment while Toy Story gets system sets. Vehicles always seem to make good sets, and Cars is nothing BUT vehicles.

If they were making Pixar system sets, I'd FAR rather see The Incredibles. If it comes to that, I'd rather see an new Incredibles MOVIE than another Toy Story one, as good as Toy Story was.
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:30 pm

totally agree with you mister ed. if lego's cash cow are vehicular based sets, why not system sets of Cars cars? Heck, Cars had non-car vehicles too, that would be great to include, like the harrier jet, the blimp, the bi plane, the yeti snow plow. i understand the demographic for Cars tends to be on the younger side, but there's plenty of us adult-kid-at-hearts that would like to see some system scale sets or UCS-quality or technic even... plus, since LEGO is all sticker crazy, think about all the racing decals they could include.

Kerchowwwww!
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby natelite » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Yup, I also agree with onion and mr ed on the idea that cars should be in system format. There are a lot of fans from age 7-12. the most likely problem imo has to do with the molds. Since the cars are very slick, it'll be hard to make out of small bricks. With duplo, all you gotta do is make big burp pieces. Much easier to get the shape right. If the shape sucks and fans can't identify with the lego version then the set won't sell.

I'll just copy what I wrote in another forum:

"the no of chars in that theme is just so plentiful it would be like a gold mine if done right. While I think it's kinda hard to make proper legorized version of the chars, perhaps they can be done larger in speed racer size (i.e. 6 stud wide or 8 stud wide) and include pullback motors for play feature. You can have lots of sets in the $10-40 price range and maybe a few large ones for memorable scenes in the $80-100 range. Popular chars like sally, mater, sarge, doc hudson, and of course mcqueen should be standalone as $10 or paired up as $20 sets. And large scenes like mater and mcqueen go tractor tripping can be $100 sets. There's also the dinoco helicopter, the king, etc and hosts of other interesting chars in that movie set. Just take a look at how well MB was marketing the cars series before lego pull the rug from under them.

Since the new sets won't be out until late 2010, maybe there's time for them to switch to both duplo and system?"

-----------
As for toystory vs incredibles - toystory merchandise sells better than incredibles. My kids (not that it's a true reflection of all kids) love toystory chars more than incredibles. Why? My view on this is that it's "easier" for kids to relate to buzz and woody since they are toys. The main hero in incredibles is mr incredible, who is an adult. The kids see themselves through the eyes of dash, who is more of a supporting char than the main char.

In terms of lego, it's the same problem with incredibles. The main draw of the theme are the chars. You have perhaps one or two action scenes to make into playsets. Eg, the forest/lava battle between v9 and mr incredible, or the part where the villains chase down the kids on the spinning ufos, and the epic battle between v10 and all the incredibles and frozone and syndrome. The rest of the movie I don't think packs enough play feature to be made into playsets. so what you have is a single year theme. even the disney merchandise isn't selling so well.

-----------
i also got an idea after seeing the spinning and moving a-wing in the home one set.

One of the biggest problem tlg has is drawing girls into its products right? Imo, the biggest issue is that there isn't much play feature in the girly sets. I guess most of you can see what I'm getting into. The spinning and moving mechanism in the hanger of the home one set can be used to recreate the ballroom dance scene from the beauty and the beast movie.

Still need to think of more play feature that can be used in girly sets. :P
natelite

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:35 pm

natelite wrote:Since the new sets won't be out until late 2010, maybe there's time for them to switch to both duplo and system?"

As TS3 is out in June, I'll say that'll be when most of the sets will come out. That means the sets will need to in some form of finalisation by the end of this year. As it takes a long time to design a set, I doubt it.
Master Fetty

Postby natelite » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:58 pm

Master Fetty wrote:
natelite wrote:Since the new sets won't be out until late 2010, maybe there's time for them to switch to both duplo and system?"

As TS3 is out in June, I'll say that'll be when most of the sets will come out. That means the sets will need to in some form of finalisation by the end of this year. As it takes a long time to design a set, I doubt it.

sorry, i just don't see what TS3 has to do with cars. besides, the announcement was that cars duplo will be released in june 2010. ts & ts2 system sets are out jan 2010, and ts3 out in apr 2010, and duplo sets in june 2010.

if they change their mind and release system format cars sets, it will be released aug 2010. that's usually when the summer (2nd half) sets are sold. still plenty of time to start creating conceptual versions. :P
natelite

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Well I clearly have my dates messed up. :D

I still stand by my claim saying that its too late to change. Which is a real shame.
Master Fetty

Postby Wonko » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:06 am

Master Fetty wrote:
Wonko wrote:But still, this news makes me hope for WALL-E and/or Incredibles sets. sets.

I don't think so. The only real reason I see LEGO making these sets is because of the sequels to Car and Toy Story (and therefore increased interest). Not many kids will be interested in sets from film/film series that came out years ago
Please, let me maintain my delusions. Without them I am nothing.
Hey! New forums 'round here.
I'll still use haiku for sigs
That's just how I roll.
Wonko

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 pm

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Toy Story and Lego shouldn't intersect. I'd throw up if that happens.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 pm

My curiosity has been piqued as much as everyone else's, but to be honest I do not have high hopes. It does seem weird to me that they'll be producing a "toy" of a toy. Also, my girlfriend pointed out that it will be virtually impossible for TLG to express all of the beloved Toy Story characters in minifig form, as they're all ultimately different toys of different brands of different shapes and sizes. While I think Buzz and Zurg lend themselves beautifully to the minifig format, Woody wouldn't turn out as cool, and what about Rex, Hamm, Mr. Potato Head, green army men, and the rest of the gang? If they went the minifig route, they'd all have to be new molds (like the new Tauntaun), and that'll be PRICEY! As for Cars, they're probably avoiding a system line so it won't compete with their own Racers line or the Ferrari license.

As for other Disney legos coming into being, this doesn't seem likely to me. Pirates of the Caribbean is out because that license was already given to Megabloks a couple years back. I agree that the Incredibles didn't have many memorable vehicles or scenes that would translate easily to Lego. We all wanted to see Wall-E in Lego, but next summer will be too late. . . unless there's a sequel (I, too, think a sequel is unlikely, but that's another story for another post). The other thing to keep in mind, too, is that the Toy Story line is going to have to be wildly successful in order for both Disney and LEGO to pursue more licensing. Just from this forum, I get the feeling that the general attitude is currently "lukewarm" ('course, we don't have many kids under 12 on this forum, either. . .).

Just my 2-cents. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Jettbacca » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:33 am

MrcSkater, they are coming out with Cars, but it's Duplo, so it won't compete with racers
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby AlternativeRadio » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Huh, it appears the new Disney liscence is opening up speculation to a boatload of different themes. If they're able to pull of PoP, then with the Disney Liscence I think they might be able to do a Kingdom Hearts. It's unlikely though, as they'd have to get Square Enix's liscence, then there would either be an outrage or celebration that Final Fantasy characters like Cloud and Leon would be turned into LEGO. They would be able to expand with different sets briefly covering Sora and Co's adventures with other Disney characters like Hercules and Aladdin. However, there aren't as many vehicle ideas that would translate well into LEGO. The Gummi ship, perhaps?
AlternativeRadio

Postby onions » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:09 pm

given the nature of toy story, one can only assume that the sets would be character-driven location-based sets. it's still puzzling what exactly LEGO will be releasing.

also, i highly doubt kingdom hearts would be licensed. lego has a propensity to go for movie licenses, so a game license would be a bit of a stretch. and like you said, they'd probably have to have an agreement with squeenix as well.
onions
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes