Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Disney Toy Story First Look

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: LEGO Disney Toy Story First Look

Postby drsherpa » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:47 pm

I don't get what the big deal is. I had a lot of high hopes for this line, and although some of the characters look great (army men) I can't believe they turned Toy Story into another Fabuland! >:(
<<Do Work Son!!>>
drsherpa

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:01 pm

The army do look amazing however I was always under the impression for system sets Lego would mold characters into minifigs, not the other way around. All of the figures with custom huge heads make me want to throw up and wonder how much farther Lego will take this. It's sickening and I wish Lego would stick to the minifig like it should.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby IndyJones » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with these. Toy Story was the first ever movie I really got into, i.e. had to have all the merchandise. These look like what would happen if Mattel and LEGO had an alien child.
IndyJones

Postby Flynn » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:13 pm

If you're so bothered by the heads, then just replace them with regular heads when you get the sets. I can think of countless heads that would fit perfectly with Buzz and Woody, and I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to make a decent substitute.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby TheThrasher » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Of course we can just replace the Megaheads with normal heads, but whats bothering people is the fact that LEGO is going in this direction in the first place. With the exception to the army men, these figures look like they belong in the Duplo line, if even LEGO related at all. I can only imagine what the sets are going to look like. I'm sure it will mostly be of bigger molds rather than more smaller bricks. But I guess thats to be expected with this line definatly aiming at the younger audience.

Its nice to see LEGO trying to do something new, but I think this is cutting it close. We'll just have to see how they do the other characters and sets before making a final judgement.
TheThrasher

Postby jocktheglide » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:02 pm

they do look like shrunken down duplo men, but I guess who is gonna play with these toys not 40 year old men mostly kids so its like half duplo half lego like.

TheThrasher wrote:Of course we can just replace the Megaheads with normal heads, but whats bothering people is the fact that LEGO is going in this direction in the first place. With the exception to the army men, these figures look like they belong in the Duplo line, if even LEGO related at all. I can only imagine what the sets are going to look like. I'm sure it will mostly be of bigger molds rather than more smaller bricks. But I guess thats to be expected with this line definatly aiming at the younger audience.

Its nice to see LEGO trying to do something new, but I think this is cutting it close. We'll just have to see how they do the other characters and sets before making a final judgement.
jocktheglide

Postby Larry Lars » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:12 am

A more "purist" minifig line of Toy Story would have been very dificult. No army men or green alien guys I guess, because that would've been strange to have them all in the same size.
And the most important thing is that those figs would've been Buzz and woody by name only, and to me that's more like how other brands work. I think you should be glad that this theme has a whole new approach with minifig compatible elements for movie accurate figs. This will open the door for other licensed lines with characters that would be difficult to do justice with minifigs.

I'm surprized to see that people actually think that a regular fig with a hat and a printed face would be Woody at all.
Or are you just in the need of some random fleshie heads for yor collection?

Another question. are Sponge Bob and friends great minifigs? I think this approach would've been better for that line as well.
Last edited by Larry Lars on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Lars

Postby banthafodder » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:44 am

I have to agree with Larry. I welcome the new heads. There were plenty of people here that thought the new squidward head was such an improvement over the old one (which it was). So bring on the new heads and body styles.
banthafodder

Postby Flynn » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:12 pm

TheThrasher wrote:I can only imagine what the sets are going to look like. I'm sure it will mostly be of bigger molds rather than more smaller bricks.

Um, we've already seen one of the sets- RC. From the looks of it, it seems like normal bricks to me.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby TheThrasher » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Flynn wrote:
TheThrasher wrote:I can only imagine what the sets are going to look like. I'm sure it will mostly be of bigger molds rather than more smaller bricks.

Um, we've already seen one of the sets- RC. From the looks of it, it seems like normal bricks to me.

I didn't mean larger sized bricks like Duplo or anything. I meant using larger molds, like for walls and stuff. I'm just hoping LEGO doesn't screw up this theme any more than they already have with the figures, IMO.
TheThrasher

Postby Master Fetty » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:54 am

LEGO can't win. They want to make this line cool and accessable to children, so they make the characters recognisable using molds. If they'd gone a 'purist' way, you'd have all complained they weren't realistic enough. Its for kids goddamnit.
Master Fetty

Postby GregHyland » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am

I storyboarded two TV commercials for a couple fo the sets, and I think people will be pretty happy with what the sets actually are. The Zurg set is nice... I thought I'd ignore getting any of these sets until i saw the Zurg set.

I, too, was a little disappointed at the molded heads, but I got used to them (which I always do with things I'm working on... they eventually seem "normal" to me!).
Greg Hyland
"You'll thank me when you share my politics"
http://www.lethargiclad.com
GregHyland

Postby meeotch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:30 pm

From what I can tell of the pictures of the army men, it doesn't look like any of them are actually holding weapons. Can anyone who knows otherwise verify whether or not this is true. If it is true, than I'd say LEGO seems to be sticking to their no military policy as well as they could. No Toy Story line would be complete without the army men, so this is the compromise they have made.

What I'm interested in is to see how this effects BrickArms. I remember in a panel discussion Will did, he talked specifically about not doing anything that infringes on TLC's rights. This mostly includes not creating studded elements or other minifig accessories that TLC all ready produces. I would venture a guess that TLC will not produce weapons for the army men. But would they have a problem if BrickArms made green WWII-era rifles for those that wanted them?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby onions » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:05 pm

the only weapon that i can remember is the rifle.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby TheThrasher » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:45 pm

GregHyland wrote:

I storyboarded two TV commercials for a couple fo the sets, and I think people will be pretty happy with what the sets actually are. The Zurg set is nice... I thought I'd ignore getting any of these sets until i saw the Zurg set.

I, too, was a little disappointed at the molded heads, but I got used to them (which I always do with things I'm working on... they eventually seem "normal" to me!).

Thats good to here. Thanks. :)
TheThrasher

Postby Galagoo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:48 pm

They're looking rather awesome, but - as others have pointed out - a bit too accurate for LEGO minifigs, in a way that's both cool and creepy.

Hmm, I wonder if that helmet of Buzz's can be used with a generic minifig head.. Hopefully.
Galagoo

Postby nacho » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:48 pm

My initial reaction to the new Toy Story minifigs was: "AWESOME!! These are so cute. And ACCURATE!"

A few hours later, I still think they are adorable, and I have decided to buy at least one set from the Toy Story line, preferably one with the most minifigs included. :D

I can see why LEGO purists may think these unique, sculpted heads are not ideal. But at the same time, I believe with the normal printed heads, I would not have reacted in the same way and thought the 'figs were amazing and cute.

I grew up with the Toy Story movies, and I approve of these minifigs. No, I think I fell in love with them. :p
nacho

Postby yankeeken » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:16 am

A Eurobricks member has found the following Toy Story listings on amazon.de, unfortunately he did not provide direct links to the listings.

LEGO 7590 - Buzz and Woody's Rescue
    LEGO 7591 - Toy Story Zurg
    LEGO 7592 - Toy Story Buzz
    LEGO 7593 - Buzz' Star Command Spaceship
    LEGO 7594 - Woody's Round-up!
    LEGO 7595 - Green Toy Soldiers
yankeeken

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:56 am

yankeeken wrote:unfortunately he did not provide direct links to the listings.

At this time there's not much point, as the there is just as little information as with the new Star Wars sets.

• Kein Bild verfügbar
    No image available
  • Derzeit nicht verfügbar
    Currently not available
  • Ob und wann dieser Artikel wieder vorrätig sein wird, ist unbekannt.
    "It is unknown if this item will become available again"<sic>
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Draykov » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:41 pm

[img=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ebindex/LicensedNews/ToyStory/toystory.jpg]New image[/img] cropped up on Eurobricks. Note the large Buzz and Zurg figures and the
Hail Space!
Draykov

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes