Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants 2009: First Impressions?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants 2009: First Impressions?

Postby iLike Lego » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:19 pm

http://www.lego.com/spongebob

I have always been a huge fan of the show, and collected the entire DVD set, but thought the Lego sets would be lame. However, I was proven wrong when they came out and have collected every one, even exclusives, from 2006-2008. In 2009, though, I have not yet made any purchases.

I'm planning on getting "Good Neighbors at Bikini Bottom" and combining it with the pineapple from "Bikini Bottom Adventures", and I'm glad I waited to buy another pineapple until now, so I get a new Squidward head! I also think the pineapple looks better than the old one, and will look great as a full one, not just a half.

So what do you guys think of the line?

I think it really captures the spirit of the show. My favorite sets are "Adventures in Bikini Bottom", "The Chum Bucket", "The Krusty Krab", "Mrs. Puff's Boating School", "Rocket Ride" and "The Emergency Room".
iLike Lego

Re: LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants 2009: First Impressions?

Postby onions » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:13 pm

No new spongebob for the rest of the year :(

At least that's what the catalog says.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby liquidcross » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:57 am

I need to at least score some Spongebob minifigs. "Krusty Krab Adventures" seems like the best way to do it.
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby shoggoth666 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I love the show its one of the few programs our whole family enjoys and the sets are great fun in my opinion.
shoggoth666

Postby Mud » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:30 am

well... at least they're a good source for parts as they seem to always be on clearence for ridiculous prices in the 60-70% off range. XD
Mud

Postby Linkavitch » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Well, to be honest, my first impression of the entire Spongebob series was slightly akin to this, except more so: Why? :'( Why did they take such a great toy and ruin it with Spongebob? Don't get me wrong, I like the Spongebob series, I just think the Spongebob legos suck in general.
Why on earth was the Empire able to build a moon-sized battle station capable of destroying an entire planet when, at the same time, they're most common data storage unit was still a tape!?
Linkavitch

Postby b4p » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:51 pm

i never really watched the show, so I can't say i'm a fan. I will probably get at least one set just for those minifigs though.

where/when have these sales been?

edit: i would not recommend getting "Krusty Krab Adventures" for the minifigs. I just saw that set in target, and spongebob had a weird face with that set. "Good Neighbors at Bikini Bottom" was double the price at $40, but bob's face was better (my opinion), and the other minifig character was more popular(?).
b4p

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Do all the minifigs of Spongebob himself use stickers for the face? I saw that on one of the more recent sets and thought it was inexcusably lame. I mean, if they can print faces on round minifig heads, SURELY they could print a face on the front of the FLAT Spongebob piece?
Mister Ed

Postby Chief » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:38 pm

I think you may be mistaken. All the Spongebob figures I have are printed, with the exception of the brick-built Robo-Spongebob. Perhaps you were looking at models from one of the ToyFair-type shows that use preliminary stickered parts and figs?
Chief

Postby Marty » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi there, like most I thought that spongebob was pretty lame. But my daughter (5) loves the show & the characters in it, so much so that for Christmas last year I got her the, rocket set, Krusty Crabb, and the bus set. These where not cheap, and they didn't come from Australia either!
I did manage to get the medical bay (second-hand) but the fishies head was missing?
Overall the sets, are very good to play with and give her hours of enjoyment, now here's the thing, Lego always assumes that they know what kids want in the way of what's included in the sets, wrong!
I never did get the pineapple set for her for the usual reasons (They don't sell a lot in Australia?) although I was planning too, but I see in the new set Patricks & Squids house is missing?
Also I'm pleased that I got the older Krusty Crabb when I did, as it's a lot more detailed inside than the new one, okay! It's not got the car, but it's no big loss.
I would like to buy the missing figure too, but Lego doesn't sell them, even in a magnet or keyring.
So honestly Lego as far as spongebob goes, there nice sets, but you don't back them up!!!!
Kids play pretty hard with these things, and this has proven to be a good toy, but once it's damaged or lost, that's it!
So thanks alot, not happy here, Marty

PS. An yes I did contact Lego and thats what I was told!
Marty

Postby meeotch » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:33 pm

It's not in Lego's financial interests to keep backups of every rare, years-old item just in case someone is negligent with their toys. On the contrary, I'd say it teaches kids a wonderful lesson in caring for their things.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby iLike Lego » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:15 pm

I bought the "Good Neighbors in Bikini Bottom" set the other day and combined it with my "Adventures at Bikini Bottom" set... They look great together!
iLike Lego

Postby Marty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Normally, I'd tell someone who made a comment like that to 'what-ever' but I ask you, stop and have a think about what you said!

"It's not in Lego's financial interests to keep backups of every rare, years-old item just in case someone is negligent with their toys. On the contrary, I'd say it teaches kids a wonderful lesson in caring for their things."

I said, I bought this second-hand set, minus the head, I assumed it was there and it wasn't! An unlike most little 5 year olds this one has every piece of these sets still intact, including the little 1 x 1 character (which is surprising?)
So to assume something without all the facts makes you look pretty dumb.

As for Lego not keeping their end of the bargain with backups of every rare part, here is something to think about.
The set is not that old, they're still making & selling Spongebob sets, who knows if they're going to update it, they updated the others so they might or even re-release it?
I'm also not in the habit of asking something for nothing that's why I tried to buy a magnet figure or a key-ring.
However on the few times I have contacted Lego they have been able to replace parts and I have never abused it.
Asking Lego for anything was a last resort, and as they put it I could always to contact sellers of old sets to try and find it, after all it's not the first time, I just thought they'd stand by their product and that it would be in their best interest.

So on a final note! Before you start mouthing off consider what your what your actually on about!
Marty

Postby meeotch » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Wow.

I just made a straight-forward observation about what I think would make financial sense for a company and you want to take it to
So to assume something without all the facts makes you look pretty dumb

and
Normally, I'd tell someone who made a comment like that to 'what-ever' ..."
and
Before you start mouthing off consider what your what your actually on about!

So, let's look at what you wrote...

So honestly Lego as far as spongebob goes, there nice sets, but you don't back them up!!!!
Kids play pretty hard with these things, and this has proven to be a good toy, but once it's damaged or lost, that's it!
So thanks alot, not happy here, Marty

PS. An yes I did contact Lego and thats what I was told!

So... before you start mouthing off, consider what YOU wrote and what I may be responding to.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Both of you take a few deep breaths and stop mucking up the thread.

The only Sponge Bob set I've ever picked up was the rocket one I gaveaway the figs to a buddy's 4 year old, who of course loved them. To be fair, I bought the whole mess for the helmet, before they were on BL. I was planning a steam punk build that never happened, so it still languishes in a parts tray, unused.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby rocksteady » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:44 pm

The sets are not bad, well...thats what my 9 year old daughter said. I think she'll be expecting them for her bday.
rocksteady

Postby Seasian » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Does anyone know if Lego still has the license for Spongebob? I saw Megabloks making some Diego sets and it seems odd that Nickelodeon would have 2 competing companies make products using their properties.
Seasian

Postby banthafodder » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Here's resurrecting the past. Apparently reports from the London toy fair show two new spongebob sets.
http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=1114
banthafodder

Postby JamesBenjamin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 am

My target has two spongebob sets right now. I haven't looked close enough to see if they're new, but I wouldn't doubt it.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:41 pm

I would.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Next

Return to Licensed Themes