Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Remember Potter?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Remember Potter?

Postby infallible » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

I hadn't seen that final list. I'm assuming they're all rehashes except for The Burrows, right? I'm excited to see HP LEGO back out, even if it is mostly re-releases.
infallible

Postby Draykov » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:29 pm

A little info on the HP situation over at Brothers Brick. In short, Deathly Hallows sets due out in October include:

* Hogwarts Castle
* Hagrid’s Hut
* Hogwarts Express
* Quidditch Match
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Solo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:32 pm

So much for that "the later movies are too dark" theory eh?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:30 am

Let the crappy images commence:

group
4841 Hogwart's Express
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby fredjh » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:28 pm

I can't believe after three crappy Hogwart's Express', and after releasing the Emerald Night last year, they can't even put the large train wheels on it. I'm really disappointed. The resurrected the last set and added a few touches here and there, and that's it.

As of now, I'm interested in the Castle and Hagrid's Hut; I may get the train just because I'm a train collector, and I may get the Burrow because it looks like a nice build even if it looks like a really bad version of the Burrow. I mean, I know the castle doesn't look like the castle, but the castle is huge, so they tone it down greatly, I get that. A real minifigure scale Hogwarts would take up my living room (and then some); but they could do the Burrow justice... the Burrow doesn't even have a red roof.

I guess they're throwing a bone to fans, but they certainly don't seem to be going out of their way to bring the sets to what I would call "current" standards.
fredjh

Postby infallible » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Well, speaking for myself, who owns all the HP sets, I'm thrilled to see any new HP out there. I was excited when I thought they were re-releases, but these are all new sets. I hope these do well and we can get some more. (But this marks the third version of Hagrid's Hut; I hope it's worth it.)
infallible

Postby Marty » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Well.. Harry Potter returns! About time!!
Apart from what I've seen here, I've read and seen pictures of dobby's release #4736, I think that's what you call it, it's pretty much the same as the old one, and #3862 games set, Hogwarts Challenge, which wasn't on your list, but pictures are on other wedsites.
This should be interesting, as the sets seem to have been upgraded and made with alot more thought.
La-strange is brilliant! Well done Lego for these, considering you had the whole range of movies and characters to choose from, the sets you've picked covers the main characters well.
I would have like the Durselys though, and Hagrids bike with baby, it would have been a nice touch.
Cheers Marty
Marty

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:12 am

fredjh wrote:I can't believe after three crappy Hogwart's Express', and after releasing the Emerald Night last year, they can't even put the large train wheels on it. I'm really disappointed. The resurrected the last set and added a few touches here and there, and that's it.

Just do what I did and make your own :

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DazHo ... 09_038.jpg

Of course, those aren't LEGO official wheels (they are from Big Ben Bricks), but the LEGO ones are practically the same.

(And yes, it runs on the 9V system and is trully able to take any track configuration.)
Daz Hoo

Postby fredjh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:29 am

That's a nice one, Daz. I am working on my own, but I'm not having much luck with the mechanics...

This is not a criticism, I really like yours, but I didn't want to skip the connecting rod. I'm using Big Ben wheels, also.

So, I was playing around with making it narrow gauge (making it eight wide) in order to fit everything (and I have a working base that I also test on curves), but I don't think that's going to work well. It's either that, or make a "display" only version that won't run on curves. gorram LEGO for not having larger radius curves.
fredjh

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:56 am

I wanted a model that could run and not just a display model, so yeah, I had to compromise. At first, my plan was to make the rear wheels stationary while the front wheels would turn, but I soon found out that if I went with that idea, the train would have a hard time taking tight turns (not that the wheel configuration of the engine couldn't take the turn, but rather that the angle created would derail the other cars attached to engine).

As for the connecting rod, well, I still want to revisit that someday. On the otherhand, the first time I displayed it in a show, it ended up running on the tracks almost all the time so, with the wheels spinning, no one did notice that the connecting rods weren't in fact connected. ;)
Daz Hoo

Postby MicroJow » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Very happy to see these are all-new designs and not just re-releases and I'm also happy to see the new mini figures... but seriously, would a battle pack of Hufflepuffs & Ravenclaws really be too much to ask?

And I agree with Don's sentiments: so much for the 'too dark' theory. You know when it all comes down to it, the Harry Potter line was originally put on hold or canceled because it wasn't selling well. Now that the last movies are on their way, Lego and Warner Bros are hoping sales will pick up. It's always about money. Period.

- J
MicroJow

Postby Master Fetty » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:30 pm

I personally think the books did promise a shift to darker elements, but the films never really followed suit. Sure, the lighting was darker and brushed silver replaced the original gold of the title, but having such a reliance on Hogwarts lessened the threat; we are always reminded Dumbledore is more powerful than Voldemort.

And just to stop me sounding like a kill joy; I really like the films and don't mind then not being dark, depressing trips.
Master Fetty

Next year/December Potter sets

Postby saq1995 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:52 pm

This is kind of off subject but when I tried to create a thread for it a moderator told me it was "reduntant" and told me to post here.

Anyways with the new Potter sets announced, what sets do you think they should make next? remakes? originals? I for one would love a complete quidditch set like the old LEGO soccer feild they released awhile back. They could release it with Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff players (instead of aaaaaanother HP or Draco)

What do you guys think?
saq1995

Re: Next year/December Potter sets

Postby Klay. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:27 pm

saq1995 wrote:This is kind of off subject but when I tried to create a thread for it a moderator told me it was "reduntant" and told me to post here.

Anyways with the new Potter sets announced, what sets do you think they should make next? remakes? originals? I for one would love a complete quidditch set like the old LEGO soccer feild they released awhile back. They could release it with Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff players (instead of aaaaaanother HP or Draco)

What do you guys think?

I just want a Number Four Privot Drive, with the Dursleys and maybe two Death Eaters.
Klay.

Postby fredjh » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:43 pm

Speaking of Death Eaters, how about the "tunnel" scene, where Harry saves Dudley? Or, on a much grander scale, Azkaban. You could have one with a chunk missing (or removable) and Belatrix.
fredjh

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 pm

saq1995 wrote:I for one would love a complete quidditch set like the old LEGO soccer feild they released awhile back. . .What do you guys think?

I think you could pretty easily buy two of the upcoming quidditch sets, a few green baseplates, and moc your own. Though they do have a quidditch sequence in pretty much every HP movie, it really plays a pretty minor role in the films (as far as action sequences go), and after having now come up with 2 different quidditch sets, there doesn't seem any reason for them to put up a 3rd, especially one with $1,200 pieces at $150. For the money, I'm sure folks are much more interested in bigger, better Hogwarts and Hogwarts Express than quidditch.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby infallible » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Klay. wrote:I just want a Number Four Privot Drive, with the Dursleys and maybe two Death Eaters.

Just in case you never say it, they did a Prviet Drive set:
http://peeron.com/inv/sets/4728-1
It's pretty small, and only comes with Uncle Vernon, but at least there's something...

Personally, I've always hoped for the Ministry of Magic as a big set, but I doubt that's happening. :-)
infallible

Postby Klay. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm

infallible wrote:
Klay. wrote:I just want a Number Four Privot Drive, with the Dursleys and maybe two Death Eaters.

Just in case you never say it, they did a Prviet Drive set:
http://peeron.com/inv/sets/4728-1
It's pretty small, and only comes with Uncle Vernon, but at least there's something...

Personally, I've always hoped for the Ministry of Magic as a big set, but I doubt that's happening. :-)

Oh, I didn't know it came with the house! Okay, I still want a bigger one, also with Dobby and Aunt Marge, since all the new sets seem to bundle all the movies together.
Klay.

Postby Draykov » Mon May 17, 2010 6:38 am

A few hi-res images have made it up over at Brickshelf (found out via Eurobricks):

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby vynsane » Mon May 17, 2010 7:53 am

saq1995 wrote:Anyways with the new Potter sets announced, what sets do you think they should make next? remakes? originals? I for one would love a complete quidditch set like the old LEGO soccer feild they released awhile back. They could release it with Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff players (instead of aaaaaanother HP or Draco)

It would make a lot of sense on their part to produce small to medium sized Quidditch-themed sets (maybe in the $8 to $25 range) that would be enough on their own, but could all be combined into one large Quidditch pitch if you collected them all. Each set could come with 1-3 figures, some accessories, some pieces of the stadium (stands, goalposts, field plates, etc...) I think they'd make a lot of money in the long-run by making a lot of modular sets like that. When all is said and done you should end up with four full teams, all the hoops, a full stadium (or maybe just half, to form more of a playset) and all the accessories.

As for the new sets, at first I was disappointed by 'The Burrows' - it didn't seem as asymmetrical as it should be, but I'm relatively over that now and want it most out of any of them. The printed tile with the sock on it in "Dobby's Release" is really funny. Can't wait to see how people include that into MOCs - maybe that should be a new challenge: Sock MOC challenge!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes