Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Remember Potter?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Remember Potter?

Postby infallible » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:20 pm

I remember reading Order of the Phoenix, and thinking, "I can't wait for this movie, so I can get a LEGO set of the Ministry of Magic fight at the end." Then, nothing. :'( Sure, I can build it myself, but LEGO had a great way of sneaking fun things into sets that I wouldn't think of.

Personally, I'll retain a little bit of optimism that they'll come back. It's probably the line that I've had the most fun buying and building since coming out of my dark age.
infallible

Postby Lego Apple » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:18 pm

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter lines. They had some great elements to them, great parts, great characters. It seemed to gaining momentum! But them the boulder began to roll down the hill instead of up and we ended up with one set for Order of the Phoenix. I feel a continuation of the set series stands a little chance, sadly.

Lego "Expelliarmus" Apple
Lego Apple

Postby Greg F » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:51 am

So the later Harry Potter books are too dark for LEGO?

But IJ and the Temple of Doom is okay for kids? Granted I doubt we will see the set with Mola-ram removing someone's heart, but that is a much darker movie than any HP book so far.

Revenge of the Sith was rather dark too. Watching Anakin get burned in lava only 15 minutes after he killed a bunch of Jedi younglings...

These lines appeal more to AFOLs than the HP line; that is my guess as to why the dark subject matter in these licenses is overlooked. I do agree HP was hindered with few vehicles to offer in system sets.

I would like to see a Hogwarts Express train again.

Greg
Greg F

Postby gfxguy » Mon May 04, 2009 11:10 am

Greg F wrote:So the later Harry Potter books are too dark for LEGO?

But IJ and the Temple of Doom is okay for kids? Granted I doubt we will see the set with Mola-ram removing someone's heart, but that is a much darker movie than any HP book so far.

Revenge of the Sith was rather dark too. Watching Anakin get burned in lava only 15 minutes after he killed a bunch of Jedi younglings...

These lines appeal more to AFOLs than the HP line; that is my guess as to why the dark subject matter in these licenses is overlooked. I do agree HP was hindered with few vehicles to offer in system sets.

I would like to see a Hogwarts Express train again.

Greg

I was just thinking about this the other day. I'd heard about HP being discontinued because of "darkness," but then when I thought about Indiana Jones, it made no sense... they even made "The Fight on the Flying Wing" (set 7683)... isn't that, uh... you know... the one where the guy gets chopped to bits by the blades of the plane and we see blood splatter everywhere?

Frankly, I'd wish they'd just be honest and say "it wasn't selling well."

Hogwarts Express is available on bricklink... I just got two for $100/each (one to save). I know the store I bought it from still has one left at that price.

I have another problem with LEGO and how it treats rail fans, too. So yes, I've got the Hogwarts Express (even converted to 9v), but it has just one car. Emerald Knight also has only one car. We like engines, but we need rolling stock, too! When they did 9v they had a whole line of cars... they could release the exact same cars now, they'd all work on RC trains, too! The track is the exact same gauge, just not metal.

But now I'm off topic... but I agree with one thing, I liked the HP books each more than the last, and so far I've liked the movies each more than the last (yes, I know they stray further and further, but if I look at them as independent entities, then I enjoy them a lot more). I really didn't find Socerer's/Philosopher's Stone to be all that good to begin with. They didn't start getting good until Azkaban. I wasn't even motivated to read the books until after GOF.
gfxguy

Postby Mandalorian Candidat » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:32 am

Funny, I was just thinking about my HP sets this morning before running across this thread. I didn't get into the whole AFOL until my oldest started getting SW Lego for Christmas, b'days, etc. then I found out/remembered how fun Lego sets are.

I think I only bought something like 3 sets from the store (OOTP castle and a couple from GoF) and the rest I got off ebay. I like how the first two movies' sets are somewhat modular and were made to create a larger super-sized set for the school. They promoted the third movie the same way, when the switch to the blay-colored pieces and flesh tone happened, but it just didn't have the same feeling. With the fourth movie, Lego seemed to just call it in. There was no castle and everything seemed sort of disjointed, just based off the three trials from the wizarding cup tournament. The Durmstrang ship is kind of nice, but a little out of place. I guess Lego wanted to do something a little more original.

I really like the OOTP castle and it has a different feeling than the first two, but I could see the writing on the wall with just the one set being released.

I'm a little disappointed that the line petered out, but I enjoy the sets that were made. HP was the first system other than SW I crossed over on and I'm glad I did. Now if I could only find a Prof. Trelawney minifig for less than $30...
Mandalorian Candidat

Postby Marty » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:27 am

Hello again, to me the Harry Potter sets was a good way of getting a decent castle parts, I managed to get most of the sets including the graveyard dual, which I never seen anywhere?
But you are right in saying the sets where getting a dark out look, most kids started turning away from them after the dementors came on the scene, though Lego did a good job with the sets. As for the last movie of the potter series, honestly with the whole movie on offer they could have come up with something better than that! They didn't even make finch and his cat?
They could have even made the dual scene using the crystal ball pieces including all the followers of Voldermort attacking Potters lot, this would have surely been a great seller, but no! We got yet another Hogwarts?
I recently thought about selling all the sets, but with the new movie due any day now I'll wait and see if Lego has a re-think?
Overall, I think Lego was wrong to exclude the Durselys (I think that's how to spell them?) Also more than Hogwarts, what was wrong with making Durselys house, Ron's house, and selling a set with the extra figures that included the dog ripper and the aunt that turned into a balloon. Now that would have been interesting. Marty
Marty

Postby jp-30 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Potter must still be in LEGOs minds as they're allowing TTGames to make a new HP LEGO videogame. Seems odd not to have sets out to support the game... maybe they will resurrect the line next year (maybe re-release some 'classic HP sets' at the least?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxs5IqdM31Y
jp-30

Postby Draykov » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 am

Not impossible, but I wouldn't count on it. Then again, I didn't think they'd be making an HP LEGO game either. That said, Steve Witt has declared outright in an interview with LAML Radio that HP is not returning in brick form.

James Wadsworth: "For the last question, I've been contacted by a number of listeners and they've asked - what is the fate of the Harry Potter line? So, uh, do you know if that theme is dead, or what's up with Harry Potter LEGO?"

Steve Witt:"I mean, they can build all the Harry Potter LEGO they want...but...we are not gonna be releasing any more sets."

James Wadsworth: "Okay, yeah, so the license ran out I'm gonna assume?"

Steve Witt: "I don't know if the license ran out, I just know that as far as the new movies go there was nothing that was really just 'standoutish' as a...as a LEGO set...some of the most important things for LEGO sets to actually sell well are that there has to be some kind of action or vehicle involved and Harry Potter didn't lend itself to that."
Hail Space!
Draykov

New Harry Potter sets?

Postby donneyboy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:28 am

Hey I found A website that said there would be more Harry Potter sets coming in october. What do you think of it?
http://www.kiddiwinks.co.za/LEGOShop/in ... 50_555_832

I am really hoping for the return of HP
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Re: New Harry Potter sets?

Postby Obi-Wan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 am

yep, they are re-releasing them in late 2010 for the release of "Years 1-4", the harry potter video game. I am sure that i will pick up a few. luckily after that happens, they won't be over a hundred dollars for tiny sets over eBay and whatnot. we can expect good prices after that.
Obi-Wan

Postby donneyboy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:34 am

Obi-Wan wrote:yep, they are re-releasing them in late 2010 for the release of "Years 1-4", the harry potter video game. I am sure that i will pick up a few. luckily after that happens, they won't be over a hundred dollars for tiny sets over eBay and whatnot. we can expect good prices after that.

OK, thanks. I am so happy now, since I missed out on the original sets back in the day. You just made my day!
although The Burrow seems like a new set.
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Postby Flynn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Obi-Wan wrote:yep, they are re-releasing them in late 2010 for the release of "Years 1-4", the harry potter video game. I am sure that i will pick up a few. luckily after that happens, they won't be over a hundred dollars for tiny sets over eBay and whatnot. we can expect good prices after that.

Sources...?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby fredjh » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Sources include the fbtb thread on 2010 sets

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1802

I don't know which of the almost 30 pages the links were on... probably to Eurobricks; there's another brickset page that lists the sets, too...

4736 Dobbys Release
4737 Quidditch Lesson
4738 Hagrids Hut
4840 The Burrows
4841 Hogwarts Express
4842 Hogwarts Castle

I'm definitely interested in the last four, especially if they actually redo the Hogwarts Express instead o f just rereleasing it... more in line with the Emerald Knight. I'm working on my own version now, but it's slow going.
fredjh

Postby banthafodder » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Hopefully the Hogwart's express will have the larger drive wheels.
banthafodder

Postby MicroJow » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 am

Coolness! A nice "last hurrah" for this line would be great! I'm hoping that at least Hogwarts is a relatively new design even if it does incorporate pieces of older sets. I also wonder if Lego would consider releasing two or three "Battle of Hogwarts" battle packs, each containing one student from each house (IE: four mini figures per pack - one Gryffindor, one Hufflepuff, one Ravenclaw, and one Slytherin.) Maybe even throw in a Hogwarts ghost. Would be a nice way to fill out the ranks, even if the characters aren't specifically named.

- J
MicroJow

Postby legofett » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:53 pm

If I hear one more thing about lines being "too dark" or no viechles I am going to have a anger induced stroke. >8(

I mean old Lego commercials from the fifties showed kidies building buildings and using hotwheels cars as the viechles. So don't you guys tell me for one second that viecles are the reasons we don't see HP sets at all, as well as starwars playsets. I like viechles but I always liked the little props and scenery charm lego would always include in their older sets. I personally despise all of Legos 1-year throw away themes they always use nowadays. I'm looking at you PM, Mars Mission , Spongebob, Aqua Raiders, Vikings, and soon to be Atlantis. The only things Lego seems to keep nowadays is CITY and STAR WARS. I miss the old days of HP, Spiderman, Batman, good non-technic/sloped/stickered/ overpriced Starwars sets, Johnny Thunder, life on mars, and Knights Kingdom.

Wow I've gotten off topic :shock: , oh well I miss HP. Rest in peace.
legofett

Postby Flynn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 pm

legofett wrote: I personally despise all of Legos 1-year throw away themes they always use nowadays. I'm looking at you PM, Mars Mission , Spongebob, Aqua Raiders, Vikings, and soon to be Atlantis. The only things Lego seems to keep nowadays is CITY and STAR WARS.

And Castle, Trains, Creator, Technic, Racers...

Also, Mars Mission, Spongebob, Power Miners, and Vikings all went into second years, so they're not quite throw-away themes by your definition.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Solo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:01 pm

legofett wrote:PM, Mars Mission , Spongebob, Aqua Raiders, Vikings

Power Miners: 2009-2010 (ongoing)
Mars Mission: 2007-2008
Spongebob: 2006-2010 (ongoing)
Aqua Raiders: 2007
Vikings: 2005-2006

Well, you got 1 out of 5... ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 pm

I too have had confirmation that there will be in fact Harry Potter sets in 2010 to coincide with the release of the video game.

I can't really give you my source, but if you know me, you know I don't say that kind of stuff if I don't have proof to back me up.
Daz Hoo

Postby Kevin Koala » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Here are the Harry sets for this year just in case people didn't know.
4736 Dobbys Release
4737 Quidditch Lesson
4738 Hagrids Hut
4840 The Burrows
4841 Hogwarts Express
4842 Hogwarts Castle

There will also be a Bellatrix fig and many more! Some things will be like the video game but it will not be only years 1-4. :) But I am still crossing my fingers for a Luna Lovegood! :check:
Kevin Koala

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes