Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Possible continue of the Batman theme?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Possible continue of the Batman theme?

Postby Wubbles » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:54 pm

Well, if they do renew it, I would want it to be based on BTAS again and not Dark Knight. I never really liked it. It leaves me curious everytime I watch it. :S
CoC Rule #5: One account per person.
Creating multiple accounts, for any reason, is grounds for an immediate ban. If you have any problems logging into your account, contact the staff.
Wubbles

Postby batsamd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:23 am

Huntmaster wrote:I couldn't possibly imagine what they would make. :P

I could think of a few more sets, but I think it would be better if they stopped putting hero/villain vehicles in one set. That way you could really develop a good vehicle and not have to worry about leaving enough pieces for another vehicle at whatever price point the set was aimed for.

Personally, I would've liked to have had a cop car with a cop driver and Commissioner Gordon. They could throw in a crook on a motorcycle if they wanted to continue with the hero/villian theme.

A Batgirl cycle and Robin's car would've been cool as well.

Think it would've been interesting to get an actual Jokermobile.

Anyway, once I get the time, guess I can work on making my own Red Robin & Jokermobile.
batsamd

Postby batsamd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:24 am

Huntmaster wrote:I couldn't possibly imagine what they would make. :P

I could think of a few more sets, but I think it would be better if they stopped putting hero/villain vehicles in one set. That way you could really develop a good vehicle and not have to worry about leaving enough pieces for another vehicle at whatever price point the set was aimed for.

Personally, I would've liked to have had a cop car with a cop driver and Commissioner Gordon. They could throw in a crook on a motorcycle if they wanted to continue with the hero/villian theme.

A Batgirl cycle and Robin's car would've been cool as well.

Think it would've been interesting to get an actual Jokermobile.

Anyway, once I get the time, guess I can work on making my own car for Robin & a Jokermobile.
batsamd

Postby gigglestick » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:35 am

I agree that having a hero/villain in every set might be a waste.

A batgirl (with cycle) vs another villain (mad hatter, etc), or a crime playset (bank robbery, villain lair, etc) with a few villains and a hero or even just smaller sets with a villain and the variant videogame batsuit/robin suits would be fun.
gigglestick

Postby bouchj45 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:45 pm

I agree, any of those would be great. I came onto the Lego seen a few months too late and have had to rely on ebay for the Batman sets. I was hoping with the new Batman The Brave and the Bold they could continue the line. Maybe Green Arrow, Atom, and Aquaman would make for some interesting sets. Can you imagine an Aquaman/Black Manta set, how cool would that be. I guess they could just start a DC Justice League line with all of the DC heroes and villians. Any ways just my 2 cents.
bouchj45

Postby Jcc2224 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:26 am

LEGO still has the batman licence, but I think they're not making any sets of batman because they'd rather not want to let the kids think the should watch Dark Knight, but batman will hopfully come back in 2010 when Dark Knight dies down. :)
Jcc2224

Postby Marty » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:14 am

I for one would like to see more villains like those it the Prima Batman Game guide, there are heaps to choose from and anyone of these would make an excellent set.
I also would hope Lego would re-release all the sets again, due to a very short run when they first came out.
I managed to get the batcar, bat boat, Arkham & Harley's truck, but missed out on some key characters.
Thank goodness for magnets!
I'm still missing Bane, Alfred & Bruce.
On the plus, Lego actually got this theme right for once, and these sets are highly prized, if ebay is anything to go by.
I just can't understand why such a short life span?
I leave this up to someone else to answer, regards Marty
Marty

Postby legofett » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Jcc2224 wrote:LEGO still has the batman licence, but I think they're not making any sets of batman because they'd rather not want to let the kids think the should watch Dark Knight, but batman will hopfully come back in 2010 when Dark Knight dies down. :)

I don't see why Lego is afraid new Harry Potter, Dark Knight, Military sets e.t.c. would offend people so bad, maybe its just Europe. Here in American childern are marketed/exposed too with 100x worse things than that, I don't know.

Man up Lego!!! >8(
legofett

Postby fredjh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:35 pm

legofett wrote:I don't see why Lego is afraid new Harry Potter, Dark Knight, Military sets e.t.c. would offend people so bad, maybe its just Europe. Here in American childern are marketed/exposed too with 100x worse things than that, I don't know.

I never bought the Harry Potter excuse. I understand the military decision, but they did release a Dark Knight set (at least it was 2008 and included the Joker and the new vehicle the Tumbler), so that excuse for Batman doesn't wash with me, either.
fredjh

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:08 am

legofett wrote:I don't see why Lego is afraid new Harry Potter, Dark Knight, Military sets e.t.c. would offend people so bad, maybe its just Europe. Here in American childern are marketed/exposed too with 100x worse things than that, I don't know.

You nailed it. For many Europeans violence is bad, whereas most have no problem with the depiction of nudity. In the US it's the other way round. Remember the fuss about Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl in 2004? In Europe we were all wondering why you Americans were freaking out over a little bit of nipple...
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Jcc2224 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:19 am

legofett wrote:
Jcc2224 wrote:LEGO still has the batman licence, but I think they're not making any sets of batman because they'd rather not want to let the kids think the should watch Dark Knight, but batman will hopfully come back in 2010 when Dark Knight dies down. :)

I don't see why Lego is afraid new Harry Potter, Dark Knight, Military sets e.t.c. would offend people so bad, maybe its just Europe. Here in American childern are marketed/exposed too with 100x worse things than that, I don't know.

Man up Lego!!! >8(

Yes, but I don't know why they discontinued it, bad sales, maybe?
Jcc2224

Postby Pinhead978 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Jcc2224 wrote:
legofett wrote:

Man up Lego!!! >8(

Yes, but I don't know why they discontinued it, bad sales, maybe?

I wouldn't come to the conclusion that it was bad sales. Kids love LEGO, kids love Batman, and every time I went on LEGO.com the Batman sets were sold out. Right when they became available again, they sold out right away, etc., etc.
Earlier in the forum, batsamd posted an e-mail reply from TLG about LEGO Batman, and they said the license expired.

I loved LEGO Batman, and it was what got me out of a relatively stort dark age one time. R.I.P. LEGO Batman. :D :) :| :( :'(
Pinhead978

Postby Marty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Regarding bad sales "Batman"
Well... the Batcar with twoface was on ebay last week 3 of them, and some went for $350 USD ?
I could be wrong but the bidding hadn't finish on one of these, so it was still going.
The batman stuff, like I said is highly prized, Harry Potter on the other hand, still sells if some web sites are anything to go by. I know this to be true as I've been offered $1000. AUD for my entire collection, and it's missing 4 sets.
So okay it's true the Harry Potter wasn't a big seller in it's later films, but there is still a huge market out there for it.
As for Batman, I wish Lego would reconsider and do the Batman returns sets, as there is a lot of material in there still as well as what's in the Prima Lego batman guide.
As for Harry Potter, there is a final 2 movies to be released as well as a Lego game, these may well see some sets released.
I for one always wanted to see Hagred on his cycle with the baby Potter and the Dersleys with a proper house and cubboard under the stairs. Rons house would have been nice too with the complete family, but it was not to be.
But who knows they may have a change of heart?
Marty

Postby fredjh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:30 am

Marty wrote:... But who knows they may have a change of heart?

I'm not too optimistic... There's only so much they can release, and it seems like Star Wars gets the lion's share of new releases, followed by original themes. In fact, the only currently active licensed themes I can think of are Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Spongebob, and I hardly hear anything about Spongebob and really, only very little about Indiana Jones. They do Thomas the Tank Engine in Duplo, but... well... I'm not counting Duplo.

Given new licenses coming out next, I'd be willing to bet they drop something else. I don't know what sells better, but unless they think Lucas would get mad for dropping Indy, it could be either Indy or Spongebob. But, that's just a guess, but I'd be really surprised then if they started releasing stuff for old licenses. The video games make sense because they don't have to produce it themselves.

When you add this original Atlantis theme, it doesn't seem like they'd have enough capacity to produce "dead" licensed sets.

I'm a little disappointed on a lot of levels, but then I'm just a whiny old man, not LEGO's target audience.

Edit: wanted to add... there may be more, but we know/believe they are releasing these new themes: Atlantis (unlicensed), Ben10, Prince of Persia, and Toy Story. I may be missing something. But it doesn't seem like they will be able to keep up all the current themes, the new themes, AND resurrect old themes.
fredjh

Postby meeotch » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:40 am

fredjh wrote:Given new licenses coming out next, I'd be willing to bet they drop something else. I don't know what sells better, but unless they think Lucas would get mad for dropping Indy, it could be either Indy or Spongebob.

Given this line of thinking, I'd figure on Spongebob. The Indy license goes hand-in-hand with the SW one, and Lego seems to be pretty involved in this license. On the other hand, the Spongebob license appears to be languishing, just waiting for the sweet release of expiration. Couple that with the fact that those few Spongebob sets we do have at Target look mighty lonely staring across the aisle at the rest of their Nickelodeon brethren in the Mega Bloks section, and I'd say that the die has been cast for Lego Spongebob's future.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby ccjwprongs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:17 am

A rumour on 'Jedi News' stated that the Indy line was done. This is the same site that originally provided the 2010 SW set list which is now on Amazon.
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby kotorfan2000 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:01 am

I regret not being able to have picked up more Batman sets, but hopefully they will continue the line and create another Tumbler.
kotorfan2000

Postby fredjh » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:49 am

ccjwprongs wrote:A rumour on 'Jedi News' stated that the Indy line was done. This is the same site that originally provided the 2010 SW set list which is now on Amazon.

Yeah... I found that after I made my post above; it just makes sense.

Moreover, and I know I'll be unpopular for saying this, but how much longer can Star Wars continue?

I wouldn't doubt they drop both Spongebob AND Indy.
fredjh

Postby Coret » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 am

fredjh wrote:
ccjwprongs wrote:A rumour on 'Jedi News' stated that the Indy line was done. This is the same site that originally provided the 2010 SW set list which is now on Amazon.

Yeah... I found that after I made my post above; it just makes sense.

Moreover, and I know I'll be unpopular for saying this, but how much longer can Star Wars continue?

I wouldn't doubt they drop both Spongebob AND Indy.

Star Wars should be able to continue indefinitely, but more to the actual thought, it will be around as long as they have something new to do. (For example, if they ever get the Live Action show on the air, that will guarantee that they have more to do and will stay around.)
Coret

Postby Mr.legoman123 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am

What I really want is a line based on Bruce Timm's DCAU (DC Animated Universe), like Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, etc
NO ONE CARES ABOUT HOW YOUR DAD SHAVES HIS LEGS!!!!
Mr.legoman123

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes