Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Possible continue of the Batman theme?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Possible continue of the Batman theme?

Postby RocketClone » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Personally if they do renew it,i would like to see a Collector scale Batmobile(90s one)
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby batsamd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 pm

In the latest issue of Toyfare, in the letters section, a reader asks if new Batman sets are going to be made.

The answer quotes Julie Stern form TLG, never heard of her. She says they still have the license, but no plans for new sets this year.

See the quesiton and answer in the scan on my Brickshelf account.

That's different from the answer I got a while back when I emailed LEGO through the Shop @ Home site, where the response was that TLG didn't renew the license.

Wonder which is correct.
batsamd

Postby bluemoose » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:10 am

batsamd wrote:That's different from the answer I got a while back when I emailed LEGO through the Shop @ Home site, where the response was that TLG didn't renew the license.

Depends what the license covers; they probably still have a license, just maybe not one for selling Batman-themed construction toys. Depends on the exact terms, but if they didn't have a license to sell the Lego Batman game, they probably wouldn't be allowed to carry on sell it to retailers.

Ian
bluemoose

Postby onions » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:02 am

Had you read this thread you have seen my post, 2nd reply to the op on the first page:

onions wrote:They still have the license. They just chose not to do anything this year. I have no idea if they'll do anything next year, and i'm not sure when the license is set to expire.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby KingOfClowns » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:09 pm

i hope they bring lego batman back. I never got to buy any of the sets. I saw them at the stores before they discontinued them but I didn't realize they would discontinue them.
KingOfClowns

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Personally, seeing how prices on the secondary market for the Batman sets went through the roof after the release of the videogame, I think LEGO is missing out on a big fat cash cow by not re-releasing Batman sets.
Daz Hoo

Postby meeotch » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Correllating high after-market values with a set's ability to sell on the primary market is a non-sequitur. Batman in particular has a loyal fanbase outside of the LEGO community, and I'd be willing to bet it's mostly collectors that are paying those prices. That doesn't necessarily translate into a population large enough to keep a particular theme profitable.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:38 pm

There was a significant price increase just after the release of the game. Collectors might be a factor in this increase, but I personally sold a Batman set to a lady in California who was buying it for her nephew. So I still think that the hype surrounding the game could financially sustain a re-released of those sets.
Daz Hoo

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes