Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Challenge #13: Object Spelling

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Challenge #13: Object Spelling

Postby onions » Sat May 23, 2009 11:40 pm

Okay, determining a winner for this challenge was more fun that I anticipated.

Although not required, most if not all of you, had listed the objects used below the pic which turned out was helpful when I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be. My method in judging this challenge was to view the sequence of objects and determine if the spelling of the site using said objects was accurate.

And the winner is:

a red shirt wrote:fbtb.net

Fork
Book
Tape
Bubble-wrap
. (the Fiji coin)
Night-light (yeah, I know...)
Eraser
Tee (the one you use for golf)

I hope this qualifies :)

RedShirt

Morgan19, I'm sorry but "blue pen" and "extra gum" was what did you in. My first guess was "pen"; I was looking for object names, and the "blue" in blue pen i considered an adjective. I thought of "gum" at first since Extra is the brand name of the gum; it wasn't until i read the list that i understood how they were supposed to be interpreted.

The only other entry that had a shot of winning was Joxer the Mighty. All the other ones either had to be dependent on reading the list to interpret the objects, or the pic was too blurry.

Unfortunately, The Jude Abides, you are disqualified from the May promotion entirely:

6) Editing your posts FOR ANY REASON will disqualify you for all challenges of the May Promotion

Congratulations, RedShirt, you're the big weiner! PM me your mailing addres and your choice of fig.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Morgan19 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Hmm. I suppose "ballpoint pen" would've been a better term, perhaps reachable if I hadn't included a list in the first place.

Not sure I agree about disallowing the Extra gum-- the original post was fairly extensive on what couldn't be used and didn't seem to say anything brand or proper names, but whatever, I understand it's your game. At least it was fun.

C'est la vie.

m19
Last edited by Morgan19 on Sun May 24, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan19

Postby onions » Sun May 24, 2009 12:00 am

you're right, i didn't say it wasn't allowed, but my first reaction to seeing that was to think "g"um? and the "e"xtra still wouldn't have worked since it's describing the type of gum.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Morgan19 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:45 am

Gotcha. I'll work on my mind-reading instead of rule-reading from now on.

m19
Morgan19

Postby a red shirt » Sun May 24, 2009 10:08 am

Wow! I can't believe I won this challenge! I've got to say though, onions, you're one creative guy! I don't know how you come up with all these great challenge ideas! This challenge was my favorite though (winning probably didn't hurt ;) ).

Good luck to all competitors in the remaining challenges!

RedShirt
a red shirt

Postby onions » Sun May 24, 2009 11:32 am

Morgan19 wrote:Gotcha. I'll work on my mind-reading instead of rule-reading from now on.

m19

bitter much?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Morgan19 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:54 am

Yeah, actually. Because I think the only reason I didn't get this one is because you had to CYA after the fact, to be blunt.

When I was finally in the right place at the right time for one of these challenges and followed your stated rules to a tee and am then get told I'm DQed because of some previously unwritten arbitrary decision you made after the fact that no one but you had any idea of, that stings a little. So sue me. I wouldn't take issue with it if you'd said proper/brand names weren't allowed in the first place (since there were so many other listed no-no's), but to your own admission it's something you didn't say and then covered after the fact by suddenly deciding it's not allowed. It's a Extra pack of gum with said name emblazoned across the front. I would've thought that it being called that would be obvious.

Like I said, it's your game, but I can tell you if it were my call I wouldn't backpedal and add some "but I didn't want that kind of object name so it doesn't count now" rule after everything's already been entered.

I realize this is just a silly competition for a silly piece of plastic, but playing honestly and getting punished because I can't read your mind, which is exactly what this is, is ridiculous.

m19
Morgan19

Postby onions » Sun May 24, 2009 12:25 pm

You're right about one thing, the rules did not say proper names weren't allowed. But let's be clear here, there are two objects in your picture that I didn't "get". Blue pen, Bic pen, ballpoint pen, yes they all start with "b", but when I first looked at the object, none of those crossed my mind, pen was what I saw. And with gum, it's Extra brand gum, that, as well as blue, bic or ballpoint, are adjectives, which was not what i was looking for. I might be repeating myself here but I shouldn't have to depend on the written list to interpret the picture. I should "get it" during the first pass of examining the objects. Perhaps things could have been more clear if I had added to the rules "Adjectives of objects are not allowed" or "Be as generic as possible" even, but hindsight is always 20/20. It was a difficult challenge to explain and I thought I had covered the rules well enough for people to understand. My example of spelling ACE made things clear I thought. I knew there was going to be a wide level of interpretation and seeing as to how two people managed to get it right, don't feel so alone that you didn't, cause there were a lot more who are in the same camp as you.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Morgan19 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Bic and Extra would've been in the same boat concerning my beef; they're the same issue in this case.

I can understand where you're coming from, and appreciate you explaining it instead of another one-line zinger. I still think that doesn't change the fact that I (and others, apprently) am/are getting screwed because the rules weren't more clear or you changed your mind, but whatever-- I'll drop it.

Gotta say that I'm not so keen on trying any of the remaining others now though (what's the point, if I'd have to second-guess each one), and won't bother participating.

m19
Morgan19

Postby onions » Sun May 24, 2009 12:40 pm

that's too bad, i figured you'd be a shoe-in for the caricature challenge
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Morgan19 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Nope; I knew I wasn't going to have time to work on one (besides the deadline having already passed by now). Yet another reason I was so excited to have gotten this one actually entered and my feeling of being blindsided sucked even more.

m19
Morgan19

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes