Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Batman Movie Set Sales, Impressions (and Spoilers) Below the Fold

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Batman Movie Set Sales, Impressions (and Spoilers) Below the Fold

Postby Staff » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:32 pm

batman movie

So, I'm going to try and get a full-featured review for this moving, and use it as an excuse to go see it again, I think. But first, I figured I'd give us a spoileriffic thread to discuss the movie in, and also mix in some early impressions of how the movies line up with the sets we've gotten so far. So, obviously, below the fold, there will be some mild spoilers.

However, before that, there are several sets that are currently on sale for the movie. Almost all sets available on Amazon have some sort of discount, and Walmart has Scarecrow Special Delivery on rollback.

So... needless to say, I really enjoyed the movie. There are a whole lot of legitimately funny moments and jokes. I'm going to sidestep doing the comparison to the LEGO movie... I don't think it was really trying to one-up or match it at all. It was a movie all its own, and certainly took a lot of inspiration from what made The LEGO Movie work. Yet it was trying to just go for a full animated movie, and was a weird mix of honoring and lampooning Batman, but also poking fun at romantic comedies, of all things.

I thought that Rogue One was a movie that did fan references well (and almost to excess). The Batman Movie went "here, hold my beer" to that, and tucked away so many references, both on-the-nose (Joker talking about the villains) and subtle (costumes from the 66 movie, Bat Merch stuff, costumes in the background, etc). I'm also shocked that they kept a lid on so many of the extra bits that weren't related to Batman from the public. Superman and the Justice League (and dear god do I want that General Zod minifigure), King Kong and Agent Smith from the Matrix, and so many more characters that suddenly made a huge chunk of the Dimensions lineup make sense.

70900 The Joker Balloon Escape

70900 Box

While I felt this set could have been better, Joker's Balloon and Batman's hook are both spot-on to the movie. The real miss here is the bomb and power station parts. I like that computer, but the whole power station in the movie was massive, and the bomb was huge and probably deserved a couple hundred more parts. It also attached to a pillar under the plant, not the plant itself.

70901 Mr Freeze Ice Attack

70901_alt1

I really didn't like this set all this much, and was hard on the mech... but it's actually pretty accurate to the movie. Still not a huge fan of the look, but it certainly worked better there. I don't recall seeing freeze attack a security guard at all... that fight happened so fast there wasn't much to see with it.

70902 Catwoman Catcycle Chase

I didn't like this set, and the movie did nothing to improve that. Catwoman was probably on the cycle at some point in the beginning, but if you added up how much she was on the screen, it was probably less than a minute. There was also never a moment where Batgirl and Robin were fighting her, since by the time Robin was involved and Batgirl was Batgirl... Catwoman was helping the heroes against The Joker and his ultimate villains.

70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer 

I loved this set, though it's time was fairly brief (at the beginning at the end of the movie). The only line I remember from the Riddler was asking about when the villains all surrendered, asking what happened. Still, this set is worth every single penny, and all of the characters showed up in it multiple times. Still, after building almost all of the sets, this one is still my favorite.

70904 Clayface Splat Attack

Ace is reviewing this set... mostly because I didn't care for it all that much when I first saw it. Still not super a fan, but will be buying it. Clayface was very recognizable in the movie, and the mayor showed up a few times. The real shame, here, is that we don't have a fantastic crossover figure with Batman, dressed as the mayor, but with the blond wig over the cowl.

70905 The Batmobile

70905_alt1

It was awesome as a set, it was awesome in the trailer, and it is still awesome after the movie. With the announcement of the Ultimate Batmobile set, and the other sets coming, this one is still important. I'm actually consider buying a couple more just to mod into some of the intermediate stages we saw in the movie.

70906 The Joker Notorious Lowrider

70906_alt1

The strongest sets in the lineup, thus far, have all been vehicles. I was shocked to have liked this one as much as I did, but of most of the vehicles listed here, it's probably the one that got the least amount of screen time. I noticed it once, but I don't think Harley was driving it at the end and the Joker was on the other side. I will say, that while I love the printed bat, I really wish after seeing the movie that they would have given Harley the over-sized clown hammer she had in the movie. It was far more accurate to the character, and just fits better. Luckily, it looks like we will get that in the summer Batwing set.

70907 Killer Croc's Tail-Gator

You know, I'm sure that this was in the whole vehicle mix at the start and finish, but I don't remember seeing it. The one thing that stood out is the little Bat-ski that it comes with. It's what a robed Batman was on at the start while enjoying his Lobster Thermindor before eventually breaking into a rock guitar solo... alone in his huge Batcave. I would gladly play for a nice set that had those vehicles and that Batman...

70908 The Scuttler

70908_alt1

Ace is on the hook for this set, so I didn't buy it until just after watching the movie (it's a great purchase at LEGO to get your double minifigure polybag). It made the least amount of sense of nearly all of the sets (the Catwoman set still confuses me more) before seeing the movie... but it stands as a standout after seeing it. There was something endearing about it in the movie, and a lot of the features and minifigures in here make a whole lot of sense now.

70909 Batcave Break-In

70909_alt1

I didn't care for this set before seeing the movie... and I'll be honest, I don't care for it after. The Penguin vehicle makes more sense, since its what he was driving at the start (the Arctic Roller is what he was driving at the end). However, the Batcave has so much charm and personality in the movie. We see a whole bunch of it, and different parts around the cave and the mansion, and none of that is here.

Worse, than that, those penguins should have drills!

70910 Scarecrow Special Delivery

This one is on my list to review... S@H lot my package for a week or so after I ordered it, so it arrived after I took my last batch of pictures. Scarecrow was weird as a pizza delivery guy, but that's how he appears at the start. I don't really remember seeing the delivery vehicle, but the entire opening happened so fast it could have been cut or happened in a second or two in the background. This one is a Walmart.com exclusive, and available with a discount through them.

70911 The Penguin Arctic Roller

Of the vehicles, this one was the most striking, assuming you looked at it from a particular angle. As a set, with the minifigures, it was probably the most disappointing. The vehicle showed up for a few seconds at the end, when the Batman Friends were bringing together all of the villains to fight the Joker, and it looked good in passing. Unfortunately, the set's problems are still there, but I can understand wanting all of the vehicles.

70912 Arkham Asylum

70912 Box Art

I loved this set when I reviewed it. After seeing the movie... I still love it, but I'm more than willing to say it has some of the same problems that the Batcave has. I think this one does a better job of capturing the movie style, but Arkham in the movie looked a lot bigger on the outside (and a lot more fortress like). Inside, the prison cells in the movie looked really good, and it would have been great to see one or two built. We saw all of the characters shown outside of their cells, so they could have easily made it work.

The cop car is pretty good compared to what we see in the movie, though the interior is still non-existent. The gun is also a major item in the whole plot, and makes sense in the set. What should have been in the set, though, is a jumpsuit version of Robin (and a briefs version of Batman).

The LEGO Batman Movie Accessory Set

I ran across this set almost incidentally a week or two ago. To answer one question, the S@H listing is wrong... the woman is O'hara. She's never called a chief in the movie, but is called by name a couple of times. I'm not sure if the other two were in there, specifically, but they're still cool, and there were a lot of police officers in the movie.

71017 Collectible Minifigures

You know, I don't recall seeing Catman in hte movie, but all of the rest came into play at some point. A few quibbles, like the fact that Barbra should have a key instead of handcuffs up there, and Harley is weird in this outfit (we see the Arkham version and the regular one that I remember). The ducky part also shows up, but I don't recall seeing him in (it was one of the things he left in Arkham).

The rest, though, are at various parts. The one I want multiples of hasn't changed... Batman with his lobster and Robin.

That's the lineup so far, and a decent mix. I'm really excited for the stuff coming out in the summer, and probably identified another dozen playsets and a whole bunch of characters and variants that could show up in another CMF line. Also curious what other people saw in the movie that they want to see show up in sets or as parts?
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2017/02/10/batman-movie-set-sales-impressions-and-spoilers-below-the-fold/
Staff

Re: Batman Movie Set Sales, Impressions (and Spoilers) Below

Postby darth_fett » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Catman shows up when they are listing all the villains (his name is even called out) "you made some of those up". I think that's the only cameo he makes, unless he gets his butt kicked in a background scene. I hope the Batmobile gets some alt models like in the movie. I don't even remember the Penguin car, I'll have to look for it next viewing. Honestly there's so much going on so quickly in fight scenes, I'm sure I missed a lot. I'd really love a flight mode Scuttler too, and the bad doggy face it makes. Oh I need to get some Catwoman figs right meow.
darth_fett

Postby dWhisper » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Yeah, the Scuttler was a potential stand-out model and set after I left the movie, just for that scene at the end.

Also, I am very curious how much Apple paid for that product placement (and using the Siri voice). Also, I'd like the actual iPhone brick, now...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:44 pm

dWhisper wrote:Also, I am very curious how much Apple paid for that product placement (and using the Siri voice). Also, I'd like the actual iPhone brick, now...

That was a serious detractor from my enjoyment of the movie - just ugly blatant advertising it was jarring and out of place... but it worked...the kids near us were saying "ooow, iphone".... :'(
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:55 pm

It was blatant on the phone, but that likely was the price for the Siri voice being used for the computer, which I thought worked well.
dWhisper

Postby banthafodder » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Really liked the start of the movie. Felt a little flat towards the end but overall I enjoyed it. The cmf Harley was in the movie. Really NEED the joker in his white and gold outfit seen during the closing number. Some great Justice League characters in there as well in the from the 70's / 80's cartoon. Felt a little self conscious when the joker referred to the daleks as British robots and said to ask your nerd friends and my family all looked at me.
banthafodder

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 am

I've only seen it once, and they pretty much vomited obscure villains and background action on the screen at times, such that it was impossible to keep up with everything. One possible moment for the frozen security guard was when they were announcing all the major Bat-villains at the beginning, but if that's not it then it's definitely in one of those moments where you need a dozen sets of eyeballs to keep up with everything. I think Catwoman was riding the motorcycle when she was introduced, but don't remember ever seeing it again. I definitely remember the Riddler showing up a few times, but never spotted any of the other three villains he comes with. I sorta remember seeing the actual Mayor at the Winter Gala ceremony, but I was distracted by wondering why the podium has a neck bracket attached to it on the right side that's not matched on the left (the only thing I can think of is they needed one off-center stud on the top of the podium for something that I never spotted). Sadly, I don't think we'll ever get a legitimate Bat-Mayor minifig due to requiring a mold just to make the hair-over-cowl part that they'll _NEVER_ use again. Don't remember the Kabuki Twins or Man-bat, but I did spot Harley in all four of her outfits at various times during the movie. I think the CMF nurse outfit was from when the Bat-villains are all lounging around. I don't remember the Tail-Gator, but Croc definitely did something in the movie. I remember Tarantula being in the minor villain run-down, but never spotted Zebra-Man. I remember everything from the Scuttler. I know I spotted the Bat Pack, but not the other two Batcave suits. Definitely remember seeing Pizza Delivery Scarecrow during the major villain rundown, but his helmet filled most of the screen, possibly obscuring the delivery bike. Never saw Penguin's car. Spotted Aaron Cash, but also remember him having two hands in the movie. O'Hare was the only cop besides the Gordons that I remember spotting. Catman was in the minor villain rundown, as was the Mime. I remember spotting March Harriet in the background a few times, Calculator Man had an actual line at some point, and Orca got some decent moments on-screen. Never spotted Red Hood, Zodiac Man, the Eraser, or King Tut (unless you count that horrible live-hack-tion scene). The Gordons and Rick are all easy to spot. Lobster-Lovin' Batman is almost impossible to miss, but I do remember that he regularly pulls out a guitar that looks nothing like the one from Heavy Metal Batman. I think I spotted HMB in the Bat-suit rack, but never saw the other three CMF Batmen _or_ the two from the new polybag. I did see Kiss Kiss Tuxedo Batman and the inflatable Bat-duck pool toy.

As for the movie, I don't think you can justify _not_ making the obvious comparison to TLM. TLM was simply a better movie, with a stronger plot, and better characterization. TLBM almost entirely ignored the deepest Rogues Gallery in the comic book industry for 90% of the movie, the Joker was the only one who got more than one or two token lines, and it felt like there were long stretches in the middle that weren't really driving the plot forward. More subjectively, I hated how much they leaned on the Adam West years (but did notice that they recognized that he was never the _first_ person to play Batman) even though I know that for how ridiculous this movie was trying to be there's no way they couldn't play up the only Batman that makes Batman & Robin look like a great movie. I also wasn't fond of how much Barbara felt like a stereotypical Millennial. Lastly, part of what made LEGO Movie Batman work so well was how over-the-top bombastic he was, but this entire movie was focused on "fixing" what made him such an awesome character to begin with. While Will Arnett definitely does a better Batman, I find I prefer the characterization from the DTV movie series in how Batman only appears to be welcoming to other superheroes because he considers them to be enemies that he must keep close so he can study their weaknesses.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:11 am

Cash did have a hook. He was holding a tablet and watching a video when Barbra told him to take a look at Joker in the Phantom Zone. Man-bat was in the opening rogues gallery, and was wearing an arkham jumpsuit and white sparkles at the end as well. Same with Zebra Man.

I don't remember Red Hood either, come to think of it, but saw the rest of those as background flashes. Probably easier to track them in the Arkham shots than in the opening fight.

As for comparisons, I just said sidestep. That was code for "think how to articulate it for a review."

As for Barbra, I wouldn't characterize her as a mellennial, but would say that she was the "stick in the mud" role in the movie, which is unfortunate. She was basically the straight-woman in a comedy routine, and it wore thin in spots, but also helped put in some of the more subtle stuff, like when she was talking about how she wanted to grow up and be like Batman, but then stopped to take a look and realized she ultimately didn't.
dWhisper

Postby banthafodder » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:24 am

The cop with the mustache was in there during one of the street scenes. He walked of to the left on the screen.
banthafodder

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:55 am

Cash' left hand is the hook, and I distinctly remember seeing a normal left hand the one time I spotted him. I think his right hand was obscured by something, but that would be the wrong hand. Also, if he does have an actual hook for a hand, how the heck does he use a tablet (especially if it's an iPad)? Can't hold it with the hook, and probably can't use the hook as a stylus. Yeah, yeah, cartoon physics trumps logic.

I probably spotted Man-Bat, but there are times when you're blitzed with so many things in such rapid succession that it's hard to keep up on a first viewing. The major and minor villain rundowns are two such occasions, as is any wide shot of all the cells in Arkham. Probably the best time to pick out individual villains is if you could pause at various points during the scene when the Joker is announcing their surrender, since they're all clustered in one nice group and more or less standing still. It's too bad we have to wait several months for it to come out on home video.

"Sidestep for the moment" would have made that very clear, but I got something closer to "sidestep it because it's not worth answering" out of what you wrote.

And Barbara definitely has a Millennial vibe going. Sure, she's not lighting anyone's hair on fire, but there's the whole, "I'm shutting you down until you agree to work together as a team...my way" thing going on as a major part of her character. She's also big on how you have to operate within the law at all times, but then very quick to abandon the law when it's inconvenient to her desires (sure, that's not exclusive to Millennials, but it's been such a pervasive aspect of news coverage of late that it's impossible for this movie to come out at this time and _not_ draw the comparison). And the fact that they immediately brushed aside one of the two oldest Batman characters to replace him with a young, minority, female character who attended Harvard For Police and got to be Batgirl _and_ the Police Commissioner at the same time is very specifically targeted at Millennials. The fact that things pretty much fell apart once she finishes taking charge feels like it may be a poke at their collective ego, given that "failure to recognize their leadership qualities" was cited in a study on the top reasons that Millennials tend to rapidly jump from one job to the next so fast that nobody even has a chance to really get a solid measure of their abilities. There's very little of this movie that couldn't have worked exactly the same if James had stayed Commissioner and Barbara was simply recognized for her accomplishments at the Winter Gala. Compare her to Robin, and it just reinforces everything. It feels very much like being progressive for the sake of checking off boxes on a bingo card.

And Alfred is the straight man for most of the movie (pretty much until he starts putting on different costumes). Barbara is more of a foil than anything else, and she served up a lot less comedic moments for Batman to play off of than either Rick or Alfred did.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:05 am

I remember the opposite with Cash, and was looking for it specifically when they were in Arkham. The scene where Robin and Batman are breaking in has him with Barbara, and he's holding that tablet with the left hook hand.
dWhisper

Postby MCoad » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:15 am

Random impressions of the movie:

It was a lot of fun. The intro alone had me laughing helplessly. The sequence when Batman came back to the Cave and heated up his lobster? It was meant to show his loneliness, but it also kind of said, "we know you'll watch Lego Batman do literally anything." And they were right.

I did feel like it got a little slow about a third of the way through. Once Joker found out about the Phantom Zone, I felt like it was pretty clear where it was going, and took too long to get there. But then, I'm not the target demographic, and the target demographic probably wouldn't have picked that up, so I'm not going to complain too much.

They hit some surprisingly sober and deep Bruce Wayne moments here. I was caught off guard when he snapped on Alfred and told him he knew nothing about having a surrogate son, but much later admitted his fear. Certain moments felt as much like the real, tormented Bruce Wayne under the playboy/vigilante masks as anything else I've seen in "serious" movies and video games.

The one definite Lego Movie connection was that this movie was clearly also a kid's imagination (the "pew pews," the cavern under the city that smells like dirty underwear, the "infinite abyss"). Same kid? Different kid? Phyllis mentions her boss, a female. Has the little Duplo sister from the Lego Movie gotten older and started playing with Batman and/or Dimensions? Does Lego Movie kid have an older sister who's playing Dimensions? Who is Phyllis's boss?

And speaking of Dimensions, the intro to the Dimensions game made it clear that Dimensions (DC world) Batman is not the same as Lego Movie Batman. Does that mean that somewhere else in the Lego Movies universe, via the Phantom Zone, there is another DC world, complete with the "real" Batman? But if that's true, why does the Lego Batman Movie story pack for Dimensions not come with a new Batman, but instead use the current, DC world Batman instead (presumably, I don't own it yet so can't confirm)? Ah well, the real question is, who cares? It's Lego Batman, that makes it awesome...

Going back to the Lego Movie connection, I would now expect that the Lego Ninjago movie will probably also have the same underlying assumption, that it is being made up by a kid. That connection can help cover for it being so different from the TV series.
MCoad

Postby PurpleDave » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Dimensions made it extra super clear that Dimensions Batman and LEGO Movie Batman are not the same character when you travel to LEGO Movie World with Dimensions Batman...and bump into LEGO Movie Batman handing out quests. They interact, quite hilariously, as two totally different characters.

And as for the reason they didn't make LEGO Batman Movie Batman a pack? Consider how many sets they've made for this movie. Now, how many of them come with (as far as the average kid is concerned) essentially the _same_Batman_minifig_? I did a rough count at the LEGO Store earlier today, and I think I have 24 copies split between the three basic variants of the standard LBM Batman. I really, really don't need them to provide me with another copy of the minifig for the Dimensions game. I'm actually much happier with what they did do. They gave us yet another crazy alternate Batsuit (which happens to be the first character besides Finn who can use sword-switches). Then they gave us the "Always Batman" red brick in LEGO Batman Movie World. Turn that on, and the standard Dimensions Batman morphs into the LBM Batman, complete with a very different set of abilities than the Dimensions version. Swap the minifig out with a spare from one of the many sets, and you're good to go. Now, isn't that a much better option than just expecting us to pay $12 for the stock LBM Batman by himself? Frankly, as much fun as the game is, most of the red bricks are a bust. From the first year, there are only three buffs (x2 studs, fast build, boosted Chi), three detectors (gold bricks, artifacts, quests), and only one other game-altering ability (turns you into ghosts for permanent stealth). Then there are seven bricks that only give you flavor abilities (disguises, dino hats, fight sound FX captions, IP-specific music, and such). Year 2 is quite a bit better. Out of the ten Worlds that are open so far, seven more give you buffs, rebates, and new abilities. Two just provide flavor. The tenth (LBM World) gives you a mix of both as you do pick up a different set of abilities.

I don't have the game up right now, but I remember that you get Detective Mode, you get the Bat Merch projectile cannon as your primary weapon, the batarang as your secondary, and while I haven't experienced it yet, apparently you get the Glide ability. Probably the best part of playing as LBM Batman is that periodically when you target something with your batarang, he'll throw one wide of what you were aiming him at. Then he'll throw a swarm of batarangs in quick succession, with only the last one actually hitting the original target.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 pm

PurpleDave wrote:Dimensions made it extra super clear that Dimensions Batman and LEGO Movie Batman are not the same character when you travel to LEGO Movie World with Dimensions Batman...and bump into LEGO Movie Batman handing out quests. They interact, quite hilariously, as two totally different characters.

They actually establish it right in the opening. Dimensions Batman bumps into LEGO Movie Batman in Cloud Cuckoo Land when you pick up Wildstyle.
dWhisper

Return to Licensed Themes