Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

It's about time! Green Lantern Set coming in 2015!

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

It's about time! Green Lantern Set coming in 2015!

Postby Staff » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Ace is on his way to Comic Con right now, and asked me to look for any news of the day. We figured it'd be slow, everyone would be saving their news for Comic Con during panels and what not. We... were... wrong... Kotaku leaked a little bit of information today: Green Lantern vs. Sinestro (76025) is coming soon, likely in the initial wave of 2015!

gl set

Okay... let's all just sit down and breath a bit. We might explode between the cries of relief and the cries of joy, because there is a whooooole lot to love about this set. Let's see, we have everyone's favorite "I can beat by a child's crayon" superhero Green Lantern, at long last. Let's all whole the people holding aftermarket versions for insane prices on the aftermarket are crying right now.

GL Set 2

We get Sinestro, easily the most well-known villain in the GL, and a long-time adversary of the Justice League as well. Carrying a trans-yellow axe thingie, that lovey face, and Lando's karate guy's hair that's been everywhere lately.

GL Set 3

We have the outer space Batman figure that was featured in the Lego Batman 3 video game that we all said we wanted a minifigure of, which also includes what looks to be a new cape design along with the wings. I know we've all said that we'd wish that Lego would make a set without Batman, but at least he's not even getting billing on the set in this case, and it's a totally new design!

GL Set 4

Oh, and trans-yellow canopies, jet packs, a new printed dish, a lantern battery, and a GL sticker on the jet as well. The best part? The sticker price is only $20, making this set an absolute knockout that almost makes me want to forgive Lego for that awful Flash set from this year. This should be on display at SDCC, so look for our coverage and a lot of drool-covered pictures from Ace later. Oh, and want to see it spin in an animated gif? Of course you do...

gl set gif

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/07/23/its-about-time-green-lantern-set-coming-in-2015/
Staff

Re: It's about time! Green Lantern Set coming in 2015!

Postby wegj » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:39 pm

BEST DAY EVER!
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby gomek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Thank you Lego. Better late than never. This should have been the Green Lantern in the movie though.

While I do like the Batman figure, the fact that every set needs a Batman just kills me. But now with a official Green Lantern I'll learn to live with it.
gomek

Postby Brainslugged » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Funny - it was only today that I noticed that batman at the back of the poster (same poster that leaked the mutli-colored Batman - too lazy to look up what his stupid name is) and tried to find him online as I wasn't sure what set he'd been in. Didn't realize he was unreleased Space Bats. Green Lantern is good, although I'd been hoping he'd be included in the Batwing from the Lego movie. I thought I'd read somewhere a couple of months ago that the batwing was getting released, but now I'm starting to wonder if I imagined it as I haven't seen conversations about it since.

I've always thought the SDCC sets should be more focused on exclusive packaging (and I guess, model). This way the hardcore collectors are happy as they have something "exclusive", but there's nothing stopping anyone from parting out and building the exclusive set themselves. If it has an exclusive figure, then maybe just one that's released early (like the chap from the Hobbit), but will eventually show up elsewhere.
Brainslugged

Postby sigviscious » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Green Lantern doesn't need a jet! Maybe if it were Batman's spaceship or something, but GL? He flies in space. IMO, Lego should have skipped the spaceship (and perhaps Batman) and provided a bunch of translucent parts (and/or instructions) to build several creations from GL's ring. Giant weapons, a bubble to trap Sinestro, a big fist, etc. For $20 I'll still buy it, but just for the figs and parts.
sigviscious

Postby that guy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:30 pm

I'm sure someone will bash me for saying this but let's also thank Lego for not adding any flesh color to the body. Thus allowing the creation of any other Lantern Corp. you want. I assumed for some reason Lego might F' it up when they released the set and put some small amount of flesh at the neck just to keep the aftermarket people from making more customs.
that guy

Postby gomek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Brainslugged wrote:I've always thought the SDCC sets should be more focused on exclusive packaging (and I guess, model). This way the hardcore collectors are happy as they have something "exclusive", but there's nothing stopping anyone from parting out and building the exclusive set themselves. If it has an exclusive figure, then maybe just one that's released early (like the chap from the Hobbit), but will eventually show up elsewhere.

This had always been my thinking. I remember when the first Green Lantern figure came out, some people (and I forget who) were reporting it as a preview figure. I had zero problem with that, and when It was going for like $60 on ebay, I kept thinking, geez, all these people can't just wait a couple months. Little did I know the joke was on me and $60 was a "bargain".

Since I was a die hard GL fan back in the day, and a life long Lego fan, I eventual plunked down the cash, but as you can tell I'm still sore about it.
gomek

Postby gomek » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 pm

that guy wrote:I'm sure someone will bash me for saying this but let's also thank Lego for not adding any flesh color to the body. Thus allowing the creation of any other Lantern Corp. you want. I assumed for some reason Lego might F' it up when they released the set and put some small amount of flesh at the neck just to keep the aftermarket people from making more customs.

Do you mean to imply we're not going to get a Green Lantern battle pack?
gomek

Postby that guy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm

"Do you mean to imply we're not going to get a Green Lantern battle pack?"

I think I'd lose my lunch if that happend
that guy

Postby rifflestein » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:08 pm

The trans-green parts are nice, but I'm most excited about what looks like a trans-clear neck bracket on Batman. It looks like it might actually be a new style with two studs (note the 1x2 stud space in the spare wing part), but either way that will be super useful. And the fact that it's coming in a $20 set means they won't go for insane prices on Bricklink. That flying stand is also strange but interesting.
rifflestein

Postby Brainslugged » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:44 pm

It looks like there's a new version of the stud-firing gun that can now attach to a regular stud rather than being handheld. I'm glad Lego is moving towards missiles that really could shoot you in the eye like the toys of my youth (rather than awful flick fires).
Brainslugged

Postby MyrmidonX » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Uhh, on the stills, Batman's wings are plain, but on the gif they've got designs on the front and back! If those are stickers they're the biggest I've seen yet... groan! Still, that looks to be an excellent set! ( although since Bats wasn't in the title, maybe another Corps member would've been... ahhh, one can dream..)
MyrmidonX

Postby R8-C2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm

New GL, new batman cowl, new Sinestro, light gray hands, clear neck bracket, green lantern battery and a good looking jet for $20? Thank you lego, you have earned the right to sell a 60's batmobile at comic con. As long as you give us a full scale one in stores. I wonder what the wings will look like (grey with gold or white), what the other cape looks like, and what the clear thing batman is standing on is.
I am Groot. WE are Groot
R8-C2

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Odd that someone would have reported that GL was a preview figure back when these were first out. Lego was actually very up-front with how those particular figures were "exclusives" at the time. I'm sure there's some small variation we haven't seen yet, as this set is still promotional.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby R8-C2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:15 pm

dWhisper wrote:Odd that someone would have reported that GL was a preview figure back when these were first out. Lego was actually very up-front with how those particular figures were "exclusives" at the time. I'm sure there's some small variation we haven't seen yet, as this set is still promotional.

My apologies if I misunderstand, but this is an upcoming set, not a promotional one, right?
I am Groot. WE are Groot
R8-C2

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Correct, this is an upcoming set, most likely from next year. Ridder Chase was previewed in a very similar way last year.

My comment about exclusives and Green Lantern were for gomek and that guy, above.
dWhisper

Postby monkeyhand » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:47 am

If Green lantern's weakness is the color yellow, does that mean he can't open the canopy on his jet?
monkeyhand

Postby CaptainFordo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:22 am

Hmm, definitely glad of a Green Lantern and the unexpected bonus of Sinestro to boot, but that jet is a little disappointing. I mean it's a very nice, stubby little jet, and I know it's probably meant to represent Hal's construct (being a fighter pilot and all) but i can't help but think there could have been a better alternative. I mean in design it's awfully similar to the SHIELD jet from "Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout" and while there's only so many ways to build a jet, it would've been nice to see something a bit weirder, more alien looking perhaps.

Very nice inclusion of a brick-built power battery though, but would have preferred a weapon for Sinestro that looked more like it was coming out of a ring instead of looking like an Energon axe, but I suppose that's to allow reuse of the mould.
CaptainFordo

Postby MyrmidonX » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

Speaking of rings, where are the power rings? Minor nitpick, I'm still glad as heck for this set.
MyrmidonX

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:29 am

I'm not exactly sure how you could do the ring and keep it from getting absurd. Do you take the One Ring approach from Hobbit/LotR and make it more like a bracelet? I can't see it working well here. In that particular setting, the ring was held far more often than it was worn. That or do you print the hands, which would probably be stupid expensive?

There's also a question of what kind of plastic do you use for it. The chrome gold uses a much harder plastic as its base, so it can be printed over, than typical bricks. I'm not sure they could make trans plastic in the size needed without making it to easy to break. The trans plastic is more brittle than the regular stuff, so I could see them breaking a lot.

Then again, I would <3 seeing the ring mold in a rainbow of colors...
dWhisper

Next

Return to Licensed Themes