Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Ideas Research Institute Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Ideas Research Institute Revealed

Postby Staff » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:59 am

P1070976m3

Yes, the first official look and review of the LEGO Ideas Research Institute comes fittingly from its creator, Ellen Kooijman (aka Alatariel Elensar). The set stays very true to it's original design and most of the changes seem quite well received from its creator, based on her review. I look forward to getting a couple copies of this set and hope it sells well, encouraging further inclusion of female minifigures in regular LEGO sets and more non-licensed sets from LEGO Ideas.

Head on over to Ellen's blog and read her impressions of the set firsthand.

P1070979m2

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/06/26/lego-ideas-research-institute-revealed/
Staff

Re: LEGO Ideas Research Institute Revealed

Postby rifflestein » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:29 am

So they go through the effort of creating a set to give us female minifigures, and what we get is two torsos that show up in multiple city sets, and some faces that I don't think are unique to the set? That's a big disappointment. The little vignettes are okay, but with minifigures that a lot of people already have the parts for it's not really worth buying.
rifflestein

Postby Solo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:37 am

I'm a little surprised they didn't make the lines in the constellation Orion look like a minifigure. I like most of the changes to the set but it would have been nice to get the labcoat idea she used in the proposal. The skeleton is definitely an improvement, I wasn't that keen on it before.

No price yet?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby gomek » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:41 am

To just reuse two already plentiful torsos with no variation what-so ever is just so, so, lame. I was actually kind of looking forward to this set, and am pretty disappointed in the minifigure selection.
gomek

Postby hobbie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:49 pm

While new minifig parts would be nice to some AFOLs, the idea behind CUUSOO/Ideas isn't to get new pieces. Why would LEGO spend $$ on new pieces when they can re-use existing ones?
hobbie

Postby rushiosan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Who cares about generic female minifigures, I want that T-Rex.
rushiosan

Postby rifflestein » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:34 pm

hobbie wrote:While new minifig parts would be nice to some AFOLs, the idea behind CUUSOO/Ideas isn't to get new pieces. Why would LEGO spend $$ on new pieces when they can re-use existing ones?

The reason I'm disappointed with it is that the idea of the set was to introduce more female minifigures in more professional roles. If I'd known that all that would mean is putting existing minifugres in front of different scenery, I wouldn't have defended this set's existence as much as I did. This was a perfect chance to add some variety to professional female clothing (and female minifigures in general), but they gave us the complete opposite. If this were a City set, I don't think there would be a problem. But when it's the first set under the Lego Ideas banner, and the project's focus is female minifigs, I think it's reasonable to expect them to not reuse almost all of the parts.

On the bright side, this is the first time we're seeing that new 1x1 tile with clip that's been in LDD for quite a while (it's in the dinosaur's feet).
rifflestein

Postby Flynn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm not sure I exactly see why new torsos are really necessary, though...I mean, "putting existing minifigures in front of different scenery" describes about 90% of non-genre sets, and the mere fact of this being a female driven set that's entirely focused on science and research is in itself a huge step forward. I'm not really sure how the message of the set is diluted because the minifigs themselves aren't 100% brand new.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:22 am

Flynn wrote:I'm not sure I exactly see why new torsos are really necessary, though...I mean, "putting existing minifigures in front of different scenery" describes about 90% of non-genre sets, and the mere fact of this being a female driven set that's entirely focused on science and research is in itself a huge step forward. I'm not really sure how the message of the set is diluted because the minifigs themselves aren't 100% brand new.

The point is that this shouldn't be fit in that 90% of non-genre sets. I read somewhere that the price is 20USD, I don't plan on buying it. If all three figures had new head and torso prints I would gladly spend that, or even more (say $25) on the set.
Considering that they removed the 'female minifigure set' and turned it into 'research institute' already I think they could at least do that much.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby gomek » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:14 pm

rifflestein wrote: This was a perfect chance to add some variety to professional female clothing (and female minifigures in general), but they gave us the complete opposite.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it as well. It's pretty lazy, and goes against the purpose of the set.
gomek

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:43 pm

The purpose of the set was to feature female minifigs in sciencey vigs. Lego did exactly that. I get that only one new unique torso print is a little disappointing, but all this comes off as people actively looking for reasons to complain about the set. I can't remember, apart from the unusual labcoat that stood out to me were the other two figures in the proposed idea made with new/unique designs?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Also, not sure anyone in this thread is the target consumer for this particular set, which is kind of the point...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby banthafodder » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:07 pm

True, but I have as yet to see a lego box that says recommended age 30 plus male. I agree with others that if you are going out of your way for a set like this in the lego ideas then make it somewhat special. I don't understand why this couldn't have been made as a regular city type set in the first place instead of having an online community tell lego to wake up and make a female centric set. Maybe they need to make a site like tee fury and pitch some concepts to the community as their present use of focus groups is apparently not working.
banthafodder

Postby hobbie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:28 pm

The set designer seems to have no problems with the minifigs. She mentions how she wanted to convey the message that "most scientists wear casual clothing" so why should they get new, special prints?

But to consider the collector, the astronomer is only from the modular Town Hall set (10224) which costs $200. This set will cost far less, allowing you to get a rare piece for cheap.
hobbie

Postby rifflestein » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Solo wrote:I get that only one new unique torso print is a little disappointing, but all this comes off as people actively looking for reasons to complain about the set.

Normally I'd agree with the "looking for reasons to complain" thing, but I was all for this set. I love that they made it and would have settled for something less than stellar because of how much I wanted to love it. This was the one set I didn't expect or want to find fault with.

I guess the big thing for me here is the label it's got on it. I've come to expect a lot more from CUUSOO/Ideas than regular themes, because they're mostly one-off sets that Lego can afford to go crazy on. I would have loved this if it were a City set. But putting this next to the Ghostbusters set that got a whole bunch of new parts in silver, printed parts out the wazoo, it just looks weird with the Ideas label on it. It looks like preliminary box art that they show at toy fairs before they have the figures finalized.

Sure the designer is okay with it, and sure I can't guess the exact intention she had when pitching this idea, but I can't help but be disappointed. But hey, maybe that's my problem and not the set's. I still hope it sells well.
rifflestein

Postby plebeianprint » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:52 am

dWhisper wrote:Also, not sure anyone in this thread is the target consumer for this particular set, which is kind of the point...

I am. I love Lego minifigs, I'm a feminist, and have been waiting for the day when Lego Ideas produces a non-licensed product.

I understand why some people on this site are talking about the amount of new and unique pieces in this set; I also understand that they're completely missing the point.
plebeianprint

Postby shoggoth666 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Definitely getting this set for my daughter she is really into astronomy and paleontology ( and legos :) ) will love the t rex.
shoggoth666

Return to Licensed Themes