Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

First Project Under LEGO Ideas Banner Has Been Chosen

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

First Project Under LEGO Ideas Banner Has Been Chosen

Postby Staff » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:30 am

No shock here. The set chosen from the winter review is Ellen Kooijman’s Female Minifigure set, now entitled “Research Institute”. The only set held over from the previous review was the one chosen for this group and if you look at the contenders, it isn't hard to see why. The video says the product is under development, but I have a feeling this decision was made some time ago and the set is done. How else would they have it finalized, produced and ready to ship for August? Hey, they have to keep some mystique about the process, build anticipation and hope. What is the point of this endeavour if not to raise public profile and see what people would be interested in?

Congratulations to Ellen Kooijman, you'll be getting a cut of a couple of these sets from me. I'm looking forward to buying my first CUUSOO/Ideas set, not based on a beloved movie from my childhood and also looking forward to WHOever gets picked in the next review, due late summer to early fall.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/06/03/first-project-under-lego-ideas-banner-has-been-chosen/
Staff

Re: First Project Under LEGO Ideas Banner Has Been Chosen

Postby Morgan19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 am

Excellent! Glad to see this "won". This will be the first CUUSOO (err, Ideas?) set I pick up and am looking forward to it.
Morgan19

Postby hatcher » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 am

Can't wait to see this. Will definitely get one for my daughter.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:03 am

Planning on getting one for my daughter (and at least a couple for me). Very excited this won... just a shame Lego couldn't do this without fan prompting.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby that guy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:44 am

I like this and am glad like everyone that they're starting off the "ideas" sets with something non-licensed before what is sure to become a barrage of licensed themes one after another. However, I can't help and feel like they're just shoving three friends packs into one and using minifigs instead of minidolls. I'm failing to see where this is revolutionary or unique and worthy of the votes and getting paid royalties on it?? Like someone above said, it's a shame Lego hasn't just done this on it's own but then again, this is just a revamped and enlarged "Olivia's Invention Workshop" or any other $10 friends set. Just a little baffling but congrats for the lady that designed it and for the fact it was picked, her life will never be the same.
that guy

Postby majortom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 am

The success of an original Ideas project has somewhat bolstered my faith in the Ideas/Cuussoo project. However, as mentioned above, this could easily be an expansion of the Friends line- with the addition of standard minifigs rather than mini dolls. I guess this set will fall somewhere between the Friends series and the more complex creator sets. The winning choice kinda seems like a no brainier over the other options, but I quite like the idea of the Japanese buildings- it would be pretty sick to see these included in the modular buildings line. And although I am increasingly disappointed in the number of licenses acquired by Lego, the Zelda entry looked pretty strong (but will remain forever a pipe dream) and it would be pretty cool to see a gundam-inspired line, after all gunpla already exists as a hobby in its own right.
majortom

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 am

dWhisper wrote:Planning on getting one for my daughter (and at least a couple for me). Very excited this won... just a shame Lego couldn't do this without fan prompting.

I wholeheartedly agree! How was this not released 5, even 10 years ago?
crazybirdman

Postby Bellicose » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Am I the only one bummed the Macross Veritech didn't make it? Awesome concept.
Bellicose

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm sure that you're not the only one, but I'm always in favor of an original idea over the endless see of licensed stuff we usually see, especially one that's focused on the market Lego typically ignores. There are plenty of good builds on Ideas that are just terrible ideas, and pretty much all of the licensed stuff fits there. Yes, the BTTF and Ghostbusters sets are nice (and I just bought the Ecto-1), but my opinions on the effect of this in general haven't changed. Just spend some time on their site and you can see exactly what I'm talking about. For every set like the scientists up there, there are probably a hundred "make this licensed thing" submissions.

That being said, this is a great pick that did surprise me, because it shows an unusual level of self-awareness. I actually like that it doesn't look to be an extension of the Friends line. I like the Friends line for its unique pieces, but don't like that it splits Lego into "boys" and "girls" toys, when it should just be regarded as a toy. That this set looks to just be in that category, and can show a positive place in breaking down gender bias for any type of kid, is just really cool.
dWhisper

Postby wyldjedi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Nice to see a truly original, non licensed theme win. If it is a female only set, why not base it off specific women who have made significant advances in their fields of study. I feel that would give it a bit more impact. I get the feeling that Lego approved this only to say "Hey look, its all about girls but not part of our Friends line. We really can do a female based theme that does not involve bright pastel pinks and greens". I am not wild that this is a gender specific thing, unless they do a male counterpart version later. That being said I have little interest in any case unless there are a bunch of new parts/colors used here.
wyldjedi

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:52 pm

I'd assume that they didn't pick actual people because now you're back into likeness and licensing.

Also, because, sadly, most people in America start and end their "female scientist" list with Marie Curie. It'd be pretty easy to pretend that it's Rosalind Franklin, Annie Jump Cannon, and Mary Anning in the set. Just with... more modern clothes
dWhisper

Postby that guy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:54 pm

dWhisper wrote:...but I'm always in favor of an original idea over the endless see of licensed stuff we usually see, especially one that's focused on the market Lego typically ignores...Just spend some time on their site and you can see exactly what I'm talking about. For every set like the scientists up there, there are probably a hundred "make this licensed thing" submissions.

I couldn't agree more! 'nuff said

dWhisper wrote:I actually like that it doesn't look to be an extension of the Friends line...

I'm sorry but I really have to say I disagree. It's EXACTLY a Friends set minus the mini-dolls and cool colors (which for all we know could still end up in the final product). Why? It's a minimal number of pieces to accomplish the job just like Friends, and has minimal play factor other than maybe 'building a dinosaur skeleton' just like the small Friends sets. I also just still find it shocking that this set was picked simply because of the 'I can build that in 10 minutes from my own bulk' factor. Maybe I'm missing something but Cuusoo or Ideas should have some level of "hold crap" built into it. Not, "oh I have those ten parts and can throw that together". I'm not saying it has to be licensed but come on, the Asian Architecture at least makes you say, "hey I want the instructions so I can see how that's done" not "I like what your kid built this afternoon, oh wait that's a set??" You want to blow people away and further girls interest in building, make a freaking entire lab or museum and then they'll really say WOW, instead of some minimal vignette that's destined to become part of a bulk bin.

I'm sure I will be proved wrong when it sells better than any Cuusoo set in history and who knows, it might encourage more kids to send in their own space base that has lasers, and missles, and escape pod, and microwave, and secret chair, and coat hanger, and, and, and since apparently anything is possible now.
that guy

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:09 pm

The problem with your argument on the second point is that you could basically say the exact same thing for pretty much any line. CMF is basically just City, Space, or what not minus the parts... and has the exact same level of playability as this set does. A whole lot of sets fall in that realm (all of architecture, some Super Heroes, all of the maxi-figs...). I mean, come on, the Minecraft sets were basically just a six-year-old's day at the Pick-a-Brick wall in a store.

More importantly... we haven't even seen the final product, only the fan submission. And what it did was capture an "idea" that went forward... guess that's why Lego picked the name.
dWhisper

Postby that guy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:12 pm

dWhisper wrote:The problem with your argument on the second point is that you could basically say the exact same thing for pretty much any line.

And I totally agree, which is my point exactly. I just feel like Cuusoo or Ideas should be held to a different standard, that's all. When someone's life and financial future will change forever because Lego picks up their idea, it should be a "holy *bleep*" moment, not an "oh great another just like everything else" set.

Yes I agree Lego 'might' change it a little. But probably not much. It'll essentially be a Lego Ideas girls battle pack.
that guy

Postby phoenixhawk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Given how awful Harmony Gold is with their licenses, I am glad LEGO is not trying to work with them; although the Macross model is VERY cool!

Glad to see this selection...always like more female minifigures
phoenixhawk

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:32 pm

(I fixed your wording there to be a bit more in line with our CoC) ;)

In one way, I agree with your standard that Ideas should be different, but that's why I think the Ideas is pointless in the first place. Effectively, it's taking the very essence of what Lego is, and making it into a commercial product. The best things to come out of it are the things that someone could have built with just parts in sets, not something customized or unique in there. The thing that makes Lego such a lasting thing, and what makes it so much fun, is that it can be turned into anything your imagination can come up with. Spend any time with a kid and a set, and you'll see it in play.

Honestly, I think Ideas should have always just been their social portal, and it should have been a way for people that want to do MOCs to share how to do a MOC with those who aren't as good at it. Instead, it became more about trying to get picked, trying to sell, or generally, about killing the MOC community.
dWhisper

Postby lego the hutt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:34 pm

wyldjedi wrote:I am not wild that this is a gender specific thing, unless they do a male counterpart version later.

People would be up in arms if they made a "Male Minifigure Set". Can you imagine the backlash?

I'm glad someone else brought it up. I can't believe they would endorse something so openly gender specific. In my opinion the name crosses a line. Why not just call it minifigure laboratory or something? It could still have all female minifigs but calling it the "Female Minifigure Set" seems like it is just about making a statement, possibly because of all the complaints about Friends in the last year or two.

In my opinion with a different name, that wasn't gender specific, the set probably wouldn't have been approved...and most likely wouldn't have reached 10,000 votes. It seems unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess.
lego the hutt

Postby that guy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:47 pm

dWhisper wrote:(I fixed your wording there to be a bit more in line with our CoC) ;)

Thank you, those pesky emotions sometimes....

dWhisper wrote:Honestly, I think Ideas should have always just been their social portal, and it should have been a way for people that want to do MOCs to share how to do a MOC with those who aren't as good at it. Instead, it became more about trying to get picked, trying to sell, or generally, about killing the MOC community.

Yeah I totally agree but for better or worse that cat is out of the bag and it's never going back in. Let's be honest, who here doesn't look at Cuusoo or Ideas and think that Lego's lawyers are the smartest guys on the planet for figuring out how to prevent people from selling something once it's submitted and not chosen and/or also allow them to make sets that people think are cool and make a ton of money doing it?? Either way they win.

But they're not alone, just look at how Bricklink is now 'exploiting' the MOC community by letting EVERYONE sell their own 'ideas'. Now you don't have to be picked, you just have to be not-lazy enough to do some leg work and hope people buy it.

Even Flickr used to be a lot more of cool photos instead of 'I'm thinking of submitting this, what do you think' but at least it's still a great avenue for people share ideas without someone instantly owning them just for submitting them.
that guy

Postby Solo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:00 pm

calling it the "Female Minifigure Set" seems like it is just about making a statement

Like nothing, that is exactly the intent and no one ever pretended like it wasn't. They did it because the product is already overwhelmingly gender specific: male minifigs vastly outnumber female minifigs. Some people are cool with it, some like the minidolls, but there are still others that want more variety in their minifigs to balance things out (ie break up the sausage fest) and this is for them.

And how would "minifig laboratory" be any better than what they went with for the actual product?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby that guy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm sure it's been said before (I can't be that original) but you want to balance things out?? Why don't they just print double sided heads. One male, one female. Most torsos are gender neutral, swap some hair and VOILA!!! Could've been done 30 years ago and we wouldn't be having any of these conversations.
that guy

Next

Return to Licensed Themes