Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

ABC Renews Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. & Orders Agent Carter

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

ABC Renews Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. & Orders Agent Carter

Postby Staff » Fri May 09, 2014 5:14 am

shieldfinaleposter

Well, this coming Tuesday, the season finale of Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. will air and it is due to feature a very special guest star. Maybe I should put the rest after the break... SPOILERS!

It's been a lukewarm reception for the first season of MAOS, but most would agree that the wrench Captain America The Winter Soldier threw into the mix has breathed new life into the fledgling series. The team has had a lot to deal with and they'll get some help in the season finale from their old boss, Nick Fury. Great news for fans if not really much of a surprise by now, but even better news is that the series has officially been picked up for a second season. It hasn't been a sure thing by any means as the network has spent more time discussing the shows rating then they have with any other show in recent memory.

photo

The really good news is that ABC has, FINALLY, greenlit the long discussed (it feels like forever, even though it's been less then a year) Agent Carter. Yes, Hayley Atwell will re-re-return to her role from the original Captain America, but this time we'll see how S.H.I.E.L.D. got started. Here's the official description:

It's 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers.

Having one show dealing with the reshaping of the virtually defunct agency, while there is another showing it's initial creation sounds like a huge opportunity for some great storytelling, if done well. Some may question the logic of ordering a spinoff series to compliment a show the has enjoyed lackluster reception, but I think this stands to strengthen Marvel's grasp on the TV front and with the five Netflix series' still on the horizon and DC properties popping up on every network. Personally, I think arrow is a better show overall, but I think MAOS still has a great potential and I'm excited for Agent Carter. We'll see how they fair this fall against the renewed Arrow, and the announcement that CW will pick up The Flash series while Fox moves ahead with Gotham and NBC with Constantine.

It's going to be a long summer...

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/05/09/abc-renews-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-orders-agent-carter/
Staff

Re: ABC Renews Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. & Orders Agen

Postby Mister Ed » Fri May 09, 2014 7:16 am

I hope they air the Agent Carter One-Shot as a teaser for the series. I still haven't seen it, and am certainly not going to buy the Blu-Ray of Iron Man 3 just to do so.
Mister Ed

Postby Joedward » Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 am

I'm fairly sure that particular One Shot is on YouTube... In fact I suspect they all are.

I've watched a few MAOS episodes but it hasn't really warmed to me. Quite excited for Peggy's thing though, that could be interesting.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby ufjason » Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 am

MAOS is just a steaming pile to me. The acting is so awful and campy and they seem to marginalize or kill off actual characters from the comics while maintaining these new characters. Why create new characters with a huge library to choose from? Feels like every other show that Joss Whedon has done. I've never liked anything but his star trek writing the Avengers which is the odd thing.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby sparkart » Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 pm

When I read about the Agent Carter show, I wondered it it was going to vibe like first season TV Wonder Woman, that took place during WWII. That was a campy and fun show, and sometimes, surprisingly dignified in the way Lynda Carter portrayed a smart, beautiful woman, who didn't have to rely on her distracting and alluring looks to beat the bad guys. Ironic, I know, but I liked that innocent, comic-book surrealism of characters mostly ignoring the super-hotness of Wonder Woman.
sparkart

Postby rodiziorobs » Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 pm

I liked AoS fine at first, but when it failed to to really do anything with its characters after the first few weeks, I was happy to just read online reviews of the episodes rather than actually watch them.
I think the problem with the show might be that it is too "committified", especially when compared to the MCU. Marvel Studios has evidently had pretty much free creative reign over the films, something I seem to remember having read (or seen in an interview) was actually written in to the purchase agreement when Disney bought Marvel.
On the other hand, its other properties such as TV and animation seem to be subject to more oversight from Disney (and in AoS' case, ABC; you know, those folks responsible for Once Upon a Time), which stifles it. Hence, EMH (which was already under development when Disney bought Marvel, but licensed to air on Disney X-D) ends after two amazing seasons and is replaced with Avengers: Assemble, which simply isn't as good.
Similarly, AoS feels like it had some real potential but had suffered after being filtered through corporate committees who don't share the same understanding and passion that Marvel's creative team/team Whedon had for the original concept.
Hopefully (although admittedly, it's a very narrow hope), whoever is in charge can realize what the issue is and make sure that AoS s2 is truly engaging, and that Agent Carter doesn't suffer the same fate.
Personally, I think Agent Carter would be better as a miniseries than a full-season show, but whatever.
Last edited by rodiziorobs on Fri May 09, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodiziorobs

Postby rodiziorobs » Fri May 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I hope they air the Agent Carter One-Shot as a teaser for the series. I still haven't seen it, and am certainly not going to buy the Blu-Ray of Iron Man 3 just to do so.

We picked up the Blu-ray at Redbox, and it had the Agent Carter one-shot on it. Your mileage may vary.
rodiziorobs

Postby Ultron32 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:52 pm

I liked SHIELD just fine for the first 15 or so episodes, although it wasn't on par with Arrow even close.
Then we see what happens before CATWS and it seems to start getting better. During Cap you've got to be wondering a bit what this means for our SHIELD team, and starting from there onward it's better than some of Arrow's best. Arrow is in the middle of a big story too (Deathstroke ftw) but SHIELD is the one that I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for week after week.

rodiziorobs wrote:Hence, EMH (which was already under development when Disney bought Marvel, but licensed to air on Disney X-D) ends after two amazing seasons and is replaced with Avengers: Assemble, which simply isn't as good.

Yes! EMH was probably my favorite comic book animated series, certainly my favorite from Marvel.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Mister Ed » Mon May 12, 2014 5:33 pm

rodiziorobs wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:I hope they air the Agent Carter One-Shot as a teaser for the series. I still haven't seen it, and am certainly not going to buy the Blu-Ray of Iron Man 3 just to do so.

We picked up the Blu-ray at Redbox, and it had the Agent Carter one-shot on it. Your mileage may vary.

I'd try the same, except I have no Blu-Ray player. I just realized that my previous post didn't make that clear at all (and in fact kind of implied otherwise). Oops.
Mister Ed

Return to Licensed Themes