Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

DC Moving Ahead With A Justice League Film To Follow Batman Vs Superman

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

DC Moving Ahead With A Justice League Film To Follow Batman Vs Superman

Postby Staff » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:11 am

alexrossjusticeleague

A few days back, DC announced the addition of Ray Fisher to the upcoming Batman VS Superman film in the role of Cyborg. With the latest addition of a member of DC's super team to a supposed sequel to Man Of Steel, a lot of people seemed to have the same sentiment, "Just call it a Justice League movie already!" Well, that's not going to happen... because they just announced that they'll be following Bats Vs Supes with a Justice League movie, also directed by Zach Snyder.

Warner Bros. president Greg Silverman told The Wall Street Journal, "“It will be a further expansion of this universe,” also stating that "'Superman vs Batman’ will lead into ‘Justice League.’” Since the news broke, THR has also stated the two films will be shot back to back and the Justice League will likely be released in 2017 and that announcements would probably be made at Comic Con.

So, what are your thoughts on this news? Was Man Of Steel the right film to kick off a trilogy that ends with the Justice League? Is DC moving too quickly?

At the very least, in keeping with the tone of MoS, I hope the film will just be called Justice.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/04/28/dc-moving-ahead-with-a-justice-league-film-to-follow-batman-vs-superman/
Staff

Re: DC Moving Ahead With A Justice League Film To Follow Bat

Postby dmetcalf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 am

I think they're moving too quickly.
Marvel had two benefits: taking their time and using less familiar properties.
DC is doubling down on their negatives by adding a sped-up timeframe to the already strong TV/movie-based impressions of what DC characters, specifically Batman and Superman, should be.

However, DC movies have two more or less known quantities on which to lean: Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan.
I'm heartened by that knowledge, especially since Man of Steel far surpassed my admittedly low expectations. I was really pleased with the courage it took to change elements of well-tread stories once thought to be sacrosanct. No movie is perfect and MoS had its problems, as will Superman vs. Batman and whatever Justice League movie follows. But I'll be there to support my preferred Universe (DC).

Not that I've thought much about it.
dmetcalf

Postby Brainslugged » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 am

I reckon they're moving too fast. Most regular movie goers (including myself) knew very little about Iron Man, Thor and Captain America when those movies came out, but they succeeded on the strength of the actual movies. Having the slow-burn teasers and Easter eggs linking all the films was also a great way to build momentum and expectation. Plus we had the time for these lesser known superheroes to forge their own identities and become household names. So when we had The Avengers bringing together Robert Downey as Iron man, Chris Evans as Cap, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and a bunch of others that had smaller parts throughout the series, it was just totally epic to see all those actors and their characters in the same movie.

Off the back of a very mediocre Superman, Warner now seems to want to just jam in a new (and very questionable choice of) Batman, and a bunch of other superheroes most people have never heard of (oops - I forgot the fairly crap Green lantern who, again, will no doubt be played by a new actor). Plus Marvel seems to have got the balance between destruction/peril and finesse right. I got really bored in Man Of Steel watching supes and Zod throw each other through buildings for an hour. Hopefully Warner doesn't feel like they have to up the spectacle even more in the hopes of grabbing a slice of the cash cow Marvel is currently enjoying. I hope Warner succeeds as I LOVED the last three Batman movies, but they're going to have to pull something special out the bag for me to care about Cyborg or Martian Manhunter (who just sounds ridiculous even though I still had to get the polybag despite never having heard of the dude).
Brainslugged

Postby Trooper10 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:53 pm

I suspect that the $700m or so MoS took worldwide is enough for WB to forge ahead. It suggests a reasonably successful film even if the comic-fan base didn't like it. I'm not a big comic book fan but liked it better than I thought I would, but was similarly bored by overly long fight scenes...
I kind of feel like most DC characters would struggle to carry their own movie (Bats and Supes excluded) as they often seem kinda cheesy these days - possibly their past popularity has led to their demise - too many jokes about Aquaman swimming in his own filth and Wonder woman doin' it with the invisible man etc etc. The lesser known Marvel characters have had a little advantage of anonymity, BUT I think they win because they have generally been very fun movies since Iron Man 1. But remember how many epic (commercial) fail fairly mainstream superhero movies are out there...even Hulk who everyone loved in The Avengers failed twice on his own...
Trooper10

Postby Flynn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Someone else pointed out that this would be like hiring Jon Favreau to do all the Marvel films after the success of Iron Man. It's a dumb decision, and if their intent is to build a cinematic universe on the level of Marvel's they're doing a spectacularly bad job at it.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:34 am

question, out of the existing DC movies, how many would everyone say are good, or great?

DC needs to figure out what type of movies they want to make 1st, learn how to make them right, and then start pluggin away at justice league or team up films
crazybirdman

Postby Ultron32 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Too soon.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Flynn » Fri May 23, 2014 1:44 pm

crazybirdman wrote:question, out of the existing DC movies, how many would everyone say are good, or great?

At least 5 (Superman, Superman II, Batman, Batman Returns, The Dark Knight), but it's telling that the most recent of those was 6 years ago.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Return to Licensed Themes