Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO® Ideas to replace LEGO® CUUSOO

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO® Ideas to replace LEGO® CUUSOO

Postby Staff » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:01 am

no beta

It's hard to think of CUUSOO without the LEGO in front of it, but apparently that's happening/has happened.   The LEGO Group has announced that the 5+ year experiment that has been LEGO® CUUSOO has been such a great success that they are...terminating their relationship with the Japanese crowd-sourcing site.   That is to say, effective April 30, LEGO is taking everything they have learned from the CUUSOO experience and bringing it in house as LEGO® Ideas. CUUSOO.com will apparently continue creating mechanisms to materialize wishes in a non-LEGO capacity.

ありがとう, CUUSOO...and thanks for the memories.  Long live LEGO® Ideas!

Full press release.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/04/23/lego-ideas-to-replace-lego-cuusoo/
Staff

Re: LEGO® Ideas to replace LEGO® CUUSOO

Postby dWhisper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:50 am

Ugh... I just want Cuusoo to die already. I'm tired of what it's doing to the MOC community, I'm tired of seeing all the even half-decent (and a lot not at all decent) build that are just there to troll for votes instead of feedback. I guess I'll have to retitle the article I'm working on about Cuusoo killing the MOC community...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Draykov » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:13 am

If Cuusoo has hindered MOC-for-MOC's-sake activity across the LEGO user fan base, I haven't seen it...though, admittedly, my finger isn't exactly on the pulse of the LEGO community across the globe. I would be interested in reading that article. I do understand the frustration that comes with seeing Purdue Pete rack up 10,000 votes in no time while other fantastic projects languish in relative obscurity.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby dWhisper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 am

Yeah, hang out on... well, pretty much anywhere online. Flickr has all kinds of "Vote on Cuusoo" stuff, and that's probably about 90% of the stuff we get in the staff inbox to cover. The problem isn't even that it's hurt the MOC-for-MOC's sake, it's that a lot of builders now only do stuff for that now, and not just general building. Might be different on the local, LUG scene, but I don't have one of those. I only have the online piece, and it's just infested it now.
dWhisper

Postby plebeianprint » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm

dWhisper wrote:Ugh... I just want Cuusoo to die already. I'm tired of what it's doing to the MOC community, I'm tired of seeing all the even half-decent (and a lot not at all decent) build that are just there to troll for votes instead of feedback. I guess I'll have to retitle the article I'm working on about Cuusoo killing the MOC community...

This is pretty much my sentiment about the program, as well. However, Lego seems to be doing a quality job of sifting through the trademarked fanboy builds, and focusing on the best ideas. I will need to see the official sets for the exo suit and Ghostbusters before I arrive at a final verdict of the program.
plebeianprint

Postby Flynn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:43 pm

I just get tired of how inundated it gets with licensed ideas. It's sad and yet entirely inevitable how much an idea built around the limitless imaginations of consumers quickly turned into a shelling ground for corporations.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Trooper10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 pm

I agree with the comments around the quality of the 'ideas'...it is interesting to look at what has passed on Cuusoo - 3 science models, 2 80s movies, 1 computer game and 1 mostly unique idea...kinda retro space theme...I dunno
If you look at the restrictions (Cuusoo or Lego in general), no existing licensed themes, no military (at least no 20th century+), no Architecture, nothing too 'adult'...it kinda isn't too surprising to me that the majority of other offerings are basically a trawl through pop culture (top 4 on the front page are existing license ideas). However there are some great models that might have wide appeal (WTF is Perdue Pete? - no no no I don't want to actually know the answer to that)
I wonder if they will add further restrictions or clarification to make it a bit easier to sort through the masses....or time limits (are there already?) Maybe you gotta get your votes in 12 months or bye bye...
We'll see I suppose...
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:49 am

Like I said, I actually have a nice, inflammatory, opinion article that I'm working on for the site, so I'll keep some of the comments to it. My issue isn't even around the ideas, per se, it's just the nature of what it's done to people that may have been serious builders before that didn't engage much. Instead of working to engage more, get more feedback, show it off more, it's all about just trying to get it up to a certain vote threshold.

The best parallel I've come up with is a sports analogy: it's like playing golf. For me, and millions of other people, golf is simply an excuse to drink outside while smacking a little ball with a metal stick. It's an opportunity to make fun of my friends (and to be made fun of) when every bad shot comes along. At no point in time do we think that we're ever going to be pros (or semi-pros, or ranked amateurs, or even good amateurs). Do we do some practicing and try to get better? Sure. That way we can be on the give side of the making fun more than the take.

The MOC community was like that before Cuusoo came along. Some people were better builders, some people were probably good enough to "go pro." Some of them most certainly did go pro. Everyone dreams about going to the big time, just like every kid dreams about hitting that game-winning home-run, getting the touchdown, scoring the goal, or when you're older, making that hard chip out of a bunker for eagle (while drunk). We all got better because that was the only thing for us to do other than building.

Now though, the dream has changed, and instead of being about building, it's about getting selected... to "go pro" as it were. People aren't concerned about getting better... that's why MOCs don't get posted as much to ask for feedback, only to troll for votes. It gets... frustrating. Cuusoo gave us a few good builds, ones we probably would have never gotten without them, but the rest of the effect of that might not be worth it.

There is something else that always annoys me with submissions, though, and that's that so many of the builders don't seem to get that Lego has a very specific range that they're looking at for products, sizes, and build types... and a whole lot of builders just ignore that entirely. There are a lot of amazing builds that should have never been submitted, because Lego is never going to okay a 4000-piece classic space model, no matter how good it looks.
dWhisper

Postby wyldjedi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:00 am

I agree with pretty much everything dWhisper said, but also have my own thoughts to add. I hate that the fine print says that anything you have submitted is theirs for the most part. You have a technique that is not currently used? It is theirs. Idea for a new mold for a part? Theirs now. You want to sell instructions or your idea for yourself after you submitted it? Nope, you cannot monetarily gain from your creation at that point. Even after you cancel your submission, it takes something like a year before full rights are restored, and even then they can still use anything they want from your submission for their own purposes. If you have a truly awesome idea and wish to make some money from it, your chances are better by selling instructions on eBay, or possibly a limited run of a full kit.

I have looked at Cuusoo as another version of a Flickr Lego group - ideas for me to potentially use in the future. Between such a limited scope of what Lego will choose and changes to the final design over the proposed idea has made it difficult for me to get excited over anything there as a potential future set.
wyldjedi

Postby dWhisper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:03 pm

I don't mind the fine print at all, and understand why they do it. It's actually less insidious than most people think, and more of the crazy nature of copyright and IP laws around the world. The heavy-handed approach is the easiest way for them to keep out of trouble, which kinda sucks for the consumer, but is-what-it-is. Still a better method than what's out there for someone that's looking to become an author or writer... that whole process is just stupidly painful.

That part aside, Lego is one of the cooler companies out there for featuring user content, and they have ReBrick for the "we don't own it" sharing, so long as someone is willing to wave their rights to get stuff produced. Of course, it's a big "why do we need this if we already have Flickr" platform, which makes it kind of dead. And if Cuusoo was about sharing a creation, getting feedback, providing instructions, etc, it would be a far cooler product. But it's just about submissions, and that make at odds with the nature of a Lego community.

I suppose that it all comes back to one of the issues I have with stuff here and on other sites about product wishlists or only wanting "official" stuff. It misses the entire point of what Lego is about. It's such a wonderful toy because if you want to make something you can't go buy a kit of, the only thing that you need is parts and imagination. The very idea of MOCs is "My Own Creation," in making something custom and unique. That the community is being cannibalized and turned into a production line just bugs me.
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:47 pm

dWhisper wrote: That the community is being cannibalized and turned into a production line just bugs me.

I agree - I kind of see it as being treated by the community as lottery ticket to fame, success and riches..."if only my awesome 5000 piece MOC that I spent $1k making could go global!!!"
I think I might have a chat to my LUG ambassador about this and send some of these thoughts to corporate (they do listen sometimes!)
Trooper10

Postby rodiziorobs » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:48 am

I think that CUUSOO started out really groundbreaking and innovative. The notion that anyone could have their idea produced as an official set was--and still is--a nice dream to have. While I don't really agree that the community is being cannibalized (I see where you are coming from, but I don't think that it deserves that extreme of a characterization), I do agree that it changes the focus from building for fun to building in order to hit it big.

With myself, I have noticed that when I first started visiting CUUSOO regularly, my attitude toward MOCing changed; I would look at MOCs and try and think of how I would pitch them as projects. I started not building things if I couldn't make them work as a project, and it seriously affected my outlook. I checked in on my projects waaay to often, and rather than feedback and the regular C&C, I just wanted supporters.

Things changed when I realized 1) that my projects weren't going anywhere, and 2) I would have to spam every Facebook contact I had, get a Twitter account, etc, and pretty much pimp myself out on every social media network out there if I ever wanted them to, something I just didn't have the time or desire to do. So I started checking in less often, caring less about the program. It was about this time that the whole Jurassic Park debacle went down, and the lack of transparency as to what really had happened (on that and other matters) kind of sealed the deal for me. Not caring to participate anymore, and not wanting to have my dead projects cluttering up the community, I deleted them and have only been back a time or two since. I have occasionally thought of going back and submitting another project, but for now it just really isn't a priority for me anymore. I prefer things now that I am back to my regular MOCing, no pressure.

That being said, I hope that moving the program in-house helps fix some of the other problems CUUSOO has had, and that it can be a successful (ad)venture for TLG and those who do decide to stay involved, even if the name 'LEGO Ideas' is shockingly bland.
rodiziorobs

Postby bobalego » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:59 pm

I personally like the the new site. Cuusoo was hard to explain to non-AFOL's...but anyway I do agree with some of the comments you all have made. Most importantly, I have to say the person who made the Frozen Princess set was well done but do they really think LEGO and Disney do not already have a whole series planned already? The only thing keeping Frozen from being its own LEGO off shoot is that Disney realizes it could expect more money from LEGO for permission to make Frozen LEGO...I just want to publicly remind the creator that when LEGO releases an official Frozen Princess set, do not cry that they ripped off your idea! They have been working on it since the minute Frozen hit 100 million...
bobalego

Postby bruce n h » Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 am

bobalego wrote:I just want to publicly remind the creator that when LEGO releases an official Frozen Princess set, do not cry that they ripped off your idea! They have been working on it since the minute Frozen hit 100 million...

Since long before that, surely. Since LEGO has an existing deal with Disney to produce Princess sets in the Friends style, they surely already have proposed sets designed for all past Disney products and even those that are still on the drawing boards. These animated movies can have very long run-up times. For instance, some Googling finds that Disney is planning "Moana", about a Polynesian princess, due out in 2017 or 2018. I'm sure someone at LEGO has already put together a set proposal. The same can be said about upcoming Marvel or DC movies, probably, since LEGO already has licenses in place for those as well.

Bruce
bruce n h

Return to Licensed Themes