Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Sneak Peek Into Simpsons LEGO Episode

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Sneak Peek Into Simpsons LEGO Episode

Postby Staff » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Coming up in an unrelated way on the unofficial Star Wars holiday, on May 4th Fox is scheduled to air the LEGO Simpsons episode. The picture above, a screen shot what we can expect, come to us via Entertainment Weekly who posted an interview with co-executive producer Brian Kelley and executive producer Matt Selman. What's interesting to note is that the plans for this episode started a full two years earlier back in 2012, before The LEGO Movie, even before any LEGO sets were planned:

Brian and I had been dreaming of doing a Simpsons Lego episode for as long as we could remember, and in early 2012 we started seriously talking about making it happen. Then we found out that Lego was into doing a Simpsons couch gag. So it was a magical coming-together of pretend yellow people.

Probably the only line of yellow licensed minifigs we will ever see [insert sigh here]. The full interview can be read over at EW.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/04/18/sneak-peek-into-simpsons-lego-episode/
Staff

Re: Sneak Peek Into Simpsons LEGO Episode

Postby CaptainFordo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:36 pm

That's... a little unusual that they've chosen to go with flat-faced minifigs instead of, you know, the ones that are commercially available.

I guess it's so they can animate the mouths more easily (Because I was seriously wondering how they were going to manage that) but it's a bit strange all the same.
CaptainFordo

Postby Flynn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:47 am

I think it's strange the actual minifigures don't look like that (though the 'bald cap', nose, and ears still rankle for me).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

LEGO Simpsons Episode Trailer

Postby Staff » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Fox is giving us a sneak preview of the upcoming LEGO-themed episode of The Simpsons. The clip is above and the LEGO part of the trailer comes at the end.

I found some stills over at io9 and I keep looking at this one in particular:

And I find myself really liking this iteration of the family in LEGO form. There's something quite charming with this design aesthetic that feels more LEGO-like than what is actually being produced in the toy line.

You can find more pics over at io9
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/04/28/lego-sim ... e-trailer/
Staff

Postby onions » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Flynn wrote:I think it's strange the actual minifigures don't look like that (though the 'bald cap', nose, and ears still rankle for me).

i can maybe understand the nose and ears, but i actually like the bald cap accessory. i think it actually makes sense to have such an accessory for minifigs.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Flynn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:02 pm

See, by this point the shorthand of the bare stud = baldness makes the addition of an actual bald cap piece jar with the aesthetic. By now we've already had several licensed bald/balding characters represented adequately with the bare stud, and adding a specially molded piece for that purpose pushes it too far in the scope of realism for me.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:01 pm

So we're having discussions of the realism of a character with a comically oversized hand, three fingers and a thumb, and who has a crayon lodged in his brain...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby spacysmoke » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Meh. I prefer the versions we got IRL. The look in the episode reminds me too much of the Blocko toys by Playmates.
spacysmoke

Long Trailer For The Simpsons LEGO Episode Out Now

Postby Staff » Thu May 01, 2014 9:50 am

Fox put out the last trailer for the special Simpsons LEGO episode. Unlike the previous trailer, this one is almost entirely LEGO. The basic plot seems to revolve around Homer realizing he is in an alternate universe.

The Simpsons' LEGO episode, Brick Like Me airs this Sunday on Fox at 8/7c. I can't wait.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/05/01/long-trailer-for-the-simpsons-lego-episode-out-now/
Staff

Postby that guy » Thu May 01, 2014 5:54 pm

So we just had the uber amazing Lego movie which somehow managed to make minifigs believably really and "talk" without an issue and we get this CR@P for the Simpsons. I realize I'm beating a dead horse but WHERE THE "F" is the continuity between the show and CMFGs that just got released??? WTF!!!!! It's almost disgusting that this is what we get for the ONE episode of one of the most iconic shows of all time when it's made of Lego.

Oh, and yet the pirates are CLASSIC pirates and look like minifigs. Again..... WTF!!!!
that guy

Postby gomek » Fri May 02, 2014 10:04 am

I stand by my original comments. This episode needs to be delayed until they can figure out how to do it right.

I'm sure the decision to go with the flat faces was not made by the marketing folks, and I'm sure they are all super annoyed that this is making them look like idiots.

-cg
gomek

Postby banthafodder » Fri May 02, 2014 11:04 am

Actually I think the flat face fits Moe pretty well.
banthafodder

Return to Licensed Themes