Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Images of Movie TMNT sets

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Images of Movie TMNT sets

Postby Staff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Well, I guess I can't keep saying that Canada has never given us anything*... Canadian retailer Indigo has listed two of the sets from the upcoming Shrek-sequel by Michael Bay, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The fact that the box art is missing the critical "Teenage" and "Mutant" words worries me, but the sets are firmly in the "eh" category.

We get two sets, the 368 piece Turtle Van Takedown and 743 piece Big Rig Snow Getaway. The Turtle Van has a good name but strikes me as too small and not nearly turtle-van enough for my tastes (it's like a big green tumbler that's had too many pizzas). The Big Rig set seems like a decent big rig trailer, though the cab looks kind of phoned in. Maybe we're kind of lucky that the Lego licensed sets seldom look like anything from the movie, and that's why either of the sets could be dropped alongside the existing TMNT stuff.

But hey, I'm not even a big fan of the sets, so share what you think of them. And thanks to the several people that sent this in!

673419212175_hi 673419212175_1_hi

673419212182_hi

673419212182_1_hi

*I realize that Canada gave us William Shatner, Nathan Fillion, and John Candy, but I think we can all agree that they're cancelled out by Mike Myers, Jim Carey, and Hayden Christensen. That's to say nothing of dumping Beiber, Celine Dion, and Bryan Adams on an unsuspecting US...
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/04/02/images-of-movie-tmnt-sets/
Staff

Re: Images of Movie TMNT sets

Postby hatcher » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 pm

I get (and share) the hate for Beiber, and I agree that Dion, Myers and Carey are definitely past their best before date, but why the hate for Bryan Adams?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby dWhisper » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:47 pm

That is a reference to one of the greatest musicals ever made, South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby preterosso » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:09 pm

"What sucks about being a Baldwin? NOTHING!"
_______
Just Phil
preterosso

Postby RfAurora » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 pm

I can't form a proper opinion of the sets since I can't see them in a bigger format.
RfAurora

Postby Solo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:28 pm

You don't need a bigger image to see how bland the second of the pair is.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby etcknight » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Epic fail.

Sounds like another round of Lone Ranger - shelf-to-clearance - sets to me. :facepalm:
etcknight

Postby bigospedros » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:08 am

and that's why either of the sets could be dropped alongside the existing TMNT stuff.

apart from the fact that the Turtle figures are in a slightly different green, if I remember the Toy Fair info correctly! Something to do with the movie being "darker" that the cartoons etc. This also explains why it just says "Ninja Turtles" on the box, all to tie in with the movie.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby dWhisper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:55 am

I figured just toss the figures in a bin or something. The color isn't what bug me, the head shape does. But the sets themselves (perhaps even the non turtle figs... I like this April figure better than the existing one, but that's more because I don't like the current cartoon's design).
dWhisper

Postby dmetcalf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:39 am

*Fillion
dmetcalf

Postby phoenixhawk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:51 am

What is up with Raphael's head? Is he wearing a helmet or something?

Interesting to see both April and Kurai in the same set.
phoenixhawk

Postby CloneDoc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 am

So I'm guessing since there is no Donatello in these two sets TLG is planning on more of these Movie tie-ins or am
I missing something?
CloneDoc

Postby dWhisper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:56 am

There's another set that hasn't shown up in official images, Turtle Lair Attack. It may have it (and obviously has the bad guy as well).
dWhisper

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:12 am

Turtle Lair Invasion, and yes, it has Donatello. So does Turtle Sub Undersea Chase, the other set I saw a picture of (though the article says it ties in with the TV series, so I guess it doesn't count). I'd give a link, but all the pictures I saw had big "Confidential" watermarks over them, so I guess I shouldn't.
Mister Ed

Postby Darth Duck » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:20 am

*I realize that Canada gave us William Shatner, Nathan Fillion, and John Candy, but I think we can all agree that they're cancelled out by Mike Myers, Jim Carey, and Hayden Christensen. That's to say nothing of dumping Beiber, Celine Dion, and Bryan Adams on an unsuspecting US...

Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and Frederick Banting to all of that.
Darth Duck

Postby Brainslugged » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:26 am

These may not be the greatest sets ever, but they still look a thousand times better than the awful TMNT sets they've just released.
Brainslugged

Postby emmtwosix » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:08 pm

I saw these the other day. I was hoping they were part of an April Fools' Joke. They weren't, but unfortunately, they kinda still are...
etcknight wrote:Epic fail.

Sounds like another round of Lone Ranger - shelf-to-clearance - sets to me. :facepalm:

Agreed, except the Lone Ranger sets were actually pretty nice, despite the (perceived) lack of quality of the movie.

Did Michael Bay inherit creative design control over these sets with that of the movie? That would explain their overwhelming lack of anything one might consider good or creative. Or design.
emmtwosix

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:30 pm

Turtle Lair Invasion (which I also saw with Confidential on it) i the only set of the line that looks interesting to me. The Olive Green Turtles don't look good to me but Raph is a little nicer....
April looks like she will have some nice parts though. The other guy too, who I presume to be Casey Jones?
Ultron32

Postby Nicknak » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:57 am

The Brickfan has more pictures of the sets and images of the Lair Invasion right here:
http://www.thebrickfan.com/more-lego-te ... qus_thread
And boy, the turtles look a lot uglier in LEGO than I was expecting! Pass on these sets for me.
Nicknak

Postby dWhisper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:29 pm

They look exactly as ugly as I was expecting, based on the movie trailer and production stills...
dWhisper

Next

Return to Licensed Themes