Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

First Teaser for New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

First Teaser for New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie

Postby Staff » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 am

While I'm still really enjoying the new Turtles toon and look forward to the new sets based on it that are hitting stores now, I'm not having a lot of luck in my attempts to keep an open mind regarding this film. The trailer has hit via CBR and you can take a look and see what you think. If the sets based on it are half decent, we've already sort of won, right?
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/03/27/first-teaser-for-new-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-movie/
Staff

Re: First Teaser for New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie

Postby gomek » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:02 pm

OK, that looks real bad. Really, really bad. The turtles 'humaniod' faces are probably the worst, followed by the Meghan Foxx stand in as April, the dialog, unneeded special effects and the whole 'your father had a secret' storyline (which is just as unoriginal in the spider-man trailer).

It's so sad that the turtles were created as an homage to Frank Miller, and then mutated (pun intended) into the commercial schlock we have before us.
gomek

Postby etcknight » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Ugh . . . Michael Bay. Nuff said.

Guess Megan Fox finally made up with Michael Bay regarding her snide comment a few years back. :facepalm:
etcknight

Postby sparkart » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm sorry, I chuckled at the "It's just a mask" schtick. I thought that was pretty good comedic timing. Whatever.

Yup, looks pretty bad, like one of those Asylum knock-off mockbuster movies, but with really good visual effects and top-tier production values. And Megan Fox, she's just so pretty, even with those thumbs.
sparkart

Postby rodiziorobs » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Seeing this made me look up the trailer for the original 1990 movie, and I have to admit that Bay's version is much more watchable and less headache-inducing, even if they look less like turtles than they did 24 years ago. (If only they could have synched the lips with the dialogue better back then..and, of course, not had the misfortune of being made in the 90s.)
rodiziorobs

Postby emmtwosix » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:44 am

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in the original movie looks better. Considering the restraints of only having about 3 or 4 facial articulation points with the robotic mouths they used and the challenge of conveying emotion through about a foot of rubber (or foam...what were the costumes made out of?) I thought they did an outstanding job lip-synching.

Those "turtles" in the new trailer look absolutely, unequivocally atrocious. The anthropomorphizing they're doing to them looks like something they would have done in the 80's or 90's that would have given me nightmares (SMB movie Goombas)...oh wait, nope, the turtles movie makers even had more sense back then. Megan Fox? Terrible casting. And Michael Bay...well, I said it when I first heard he was doing this movie a year or two ago...please, just stop.
emmtwosix

Postby darth_fett » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:35 am

Oh goody, April O'Neil faints. Classy. Or more like classic misogyny. Megan Fox; can't act in anything other than Bay movies, can't even do a decent nude scene in a movie. That's really the only reason i watch her movies post Transformers. Her lovely lady lumps. Cos she does not have acting chops.
"We created heroes". Horrible. At least with Pacific Rim i went in thinking it might be hokey and being pleasantly surprised, but this is too much Bay. Do Not Want!
darth_fett

Postby jnd2k3 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 am

Bay destroys everything I loved in my childhood. Down with Bay.
jnd2k3

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 pm

There is entirely too little Corey Feldmen in this movie, and certainly no Vanilla Ice to make up for his absence.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:16 am

rodiziorobs wrote:Seeing this made me look up the trailer for the original 1990 movie, and I have to admit that Bay's version is much more watchable and less headache-inducing

Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 pm

gomek wrote:It's so sad that the turtles were created as an homage parody of Frank Miller, and then mutated (pun intended) into the commercial schlock we have before us.

Fixed that for you.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Roarsack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:21 am

That's all.
Roarsack

Postby gomek » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 am

Roarsack wrote:That's all.

Yes, this is exactly what they look like.

Flynn wrote:
gomek wrote:It's so sad that the turtles were created as an homage parody of Frank Miller, and then mutated (pun intended) into the commercial schlock we have before us.

Fixed that for you.

OK, believe it or not I saw this the other day and have given it some consideration. I will partially concede your point, however I do think there is some gray area there. The way I see it, a parody will make fun of something, while a homage will pay tribute to something with respect and admiration. Eastman has cited Miller as a major influence of his, so to me that moves it a little more into the 'homage' area. Either way though, the @#$@# being shown in the Bay trailer is neither funny, clever, artistic or in anyway influenced by anything with good taste.
gomek

Postby rnsrobot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:08 pm

Pics of two of the movie sets are here.

http://comicsalliance.com/teenage-mutan ... go-images/

The mini-turtle van isn't bad. The big set is bland as all frak. BIG RIG! SUV! So turtly. So ninja. Amaze. Not a TERRIBLE truck or suv but nothing I want to buy in a theme called "Ninja Turtles."

Even being LEGO minifigure-ized can't save the Bay designs. Ugly, baby. You're just ugly.
rnsrobot

Return to Licensed Themes