Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

First Doctor Who Project Reaches 10,000 Votes On CUUSOO

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: First Doctor Who Project Reaches 10,000 Votes On CUUSOO

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:20 pm

As far as I know nothing official has been said, but the general consensus is that Character Building's DW license has run its course, leaving the BBC free to negotiate with LEGO.
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby Flynn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Yeah, the whole reason this got here in the first place is because LEGO stated the license was open for consideration now, which leads me to believe something has changed in the Character Building contract, if it hasn't ended altogether.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Given the BBCs financial situations, and Lego's current cash pile and ability to purchase a planet or two... well, no one can resist a loaded wallet being held to their head.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:05 am

With regard to the number of Doctors and companions the obvious choice should be a minifigure series. Release a handful of sets containing the current Doctor (with some wiggle-room for the definition of "current") followed by DW minifigures series 1 with a mix of older characters - Tom Baker with scarf and bag of jelly babies, Peter Davison with a cricket bat, Leela with a knife, the Master (Delgado), Cybermen, Sontarans, etc., etc. There's plenty of material for several series.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Ultron32 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:02 am

Gingerbeard Man wrote:With regard to the number of Doctors and companions the obvious choice should be a minifigure series. Release a handful of sets containing the current Doctor (with some wiggle-room for the definition of "current") followed by DW minifigures series 1 with a mix of older characters - Tom Baker with scarf and bag of jelly babies, Peter Davison with a cricket bat, Leela with a knife, the Master (Delgado), Cybermen, Sontarans, etc., etc. There's plenty of material for several series.

Mmmhmm, yes, but if they did this it would have to be outside of Cuusoo. The recent Terms of Service update does not allow CMFs.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Faefrost » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Gingerbeard Man wrote:With regard to the number of Doctors and companions the obvious choice should be a minifigure series. Release a handful of sets containing the current Doctor (with some wiggle-room for the definition of "current") followed by DW minifigures series 1 with a mix of older characters - Tom Baker with scarf and bag of jelly babies, Peter Davison with a cricket bat, Leela with a knife, the Master (Delgado), Cybermen, Sontarans, etc., etc. There's plenty of material for several series.

I would imagine that Lego would not be real keen to too closely repeat Character Builders exact product line. Granted a Tardis with Doctor and Companion is a given, but they will not copy CBs blind bag CMF line.
Faefrost

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:08 am

Faefrost wrote:I would imagine that Lego would not be real keen to too closely repeat Character Builders exact product line. Granted a Tardis with Doctor and Companion is a given, but they will not copy CBs blind bag CMF line.

My bad. As Character Building is not available in Germany I was not aware of the extent their Doctor Who product line has these days. I had only ever seen the first few sets that were released some years ago. Seems everybody is doing blind-bag figures now.

Ultron32 wrote:Mmmhmm, yes, but if they did this it would have to be outside of Cuusoo. The recent Terms of Service update does not allow CMFs.

My impression was that the discussion had moved on from a single Cuusoo set to the chances of a "full" license agreement between the BBC and Lego, assuming Character Building is indeed out of the picture. I guess time will tell...
Gingerbeard Man

Postby dWhisper » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:04 am

Yeah, there is no official or unofficial word on anything like that. All that had been said is that Doctor Who was now permitted for Cuusoo submissions. If there was a discussion or move towards a license, it would likely never have been given the green light. Everything points to a one-off release and license, much like BTTF or Ghostbusters.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Kaminoan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:24 pm

@ lego the hutt

No, it is not the same. You can find mine, which is the Tardis and figures in the project on my flickr stream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaminoan/s ... 506111445/

Glen built the control panels and daleks. He did take the Tardis and some of the figures around sxsw, so there are lots of photos of them out there.

Jared
Kaminoan

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes