Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SPOILERS] The Lego Movie - what did you think?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

[SPOILERS] The Lego Movie - what did you think?

Postby Trooper10 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Sooo... it's been a couple of days now, have you seen it? What did you think? Happy? Sad? Full of irrational rage?

Me for one just got back from seeing in 3D (which I generally avoid but needed to see that session). Apart from thinking it was really well made, fun and a clever use of the medium (animation that looked like it could have been stop motion), I thought it was great for 3 reasons:
1. It seemed to work as a kids film - lots of kids laughing and singing the song afterwards
2. It seemed to work for non-AFOL adults - I saw it with a non-AFOL friend and he said he was very positively surprised and enjoyed it a LOT.
3. Soooo many inside Lego jokes - tons I'm sure I missed, made it great for me.

My only disappointment was
Spoiler: show
a typical lack of female characters - I felt Wildstyle played less of a role that I thought she would and UniKitty was the only other female character of note

Seen it yet? - discuss!!!
Trooper10

Re: The Lego Movie - what did you think?

Postby banthafodder » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:32 pm

I think Batman hit that on the head with his line "the ship was all dudes, the furry guy a dude, the robot a dude" I really enjoyed this movie. Very we'll done
banthafodder

Postby RfAurora » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:43 pm

I really enjoyed the movie as well. The only complaint I have is the person behind me that decided to talk on a cell phone halfway through. After seeing the movie though:
I was disappointed that Bad Cop's car from Bad Cop's Pursuit doesn't come with the alternate build for its wheeled mode. I also liked seeing Benny in action, and can't wait for his spaceship to come out now. Also, I want to see an Octan Space Tanker, lol.

Edit:
I also loved seeing all the old style printed tiles that served as remote controls.
RfAurora

Postby Trooper10 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Yeah there was so much to like about this film, but just quietly I'm working out how many of Benny's spaceship I can afford so I can reboot my childhood Space days!
Trooper10

Postby Faefrost » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:56 pm

RfAurora wrote:I really enjoyed the movie as well. The only complaint I have is the person behind me that decided to talk on a cell phone halfway through. After seeing the movie though:
I was disappointed that Bad Cop's car from Bad Cop's Pursuit doesn't come with the alternate build for its wheeled mode. I also liked seeing Benny in action, and can't wait for his spaceship to come out now. Also, I want to see an Octan Space Tanker, lol.

Edit:
I also loved seeing all the old style printed tiles that served as remote controls.

It doesn't come with it...

But the wheeled version of his car is the one we get in the 70808 Super Cycle Chase. So we get both, just in two different sets.

The movie surprised me. And really seemed to touch the mainly adult theater crowd that I saw it with tonight. I swear half of them walked out to the parking lot happily singing "Everything Is Awesome" to themselves. I've never seen anything quite like it.
Faefrost

Postby Flynn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:17 am

To quote myself from a couple years ago, back when the film was first announced:

I can see this working if it utilizes a frame story similar to Princess Bride (As has been remarked), is a mix of live-action plus stop-motion animation (Rather than CG, which I cannot imagine looking good), and goes more for a sense of wonder and imagination rather than slapstick humor and toilet jokes.

I mean, think how cool it would be to have the LEGO parts of the movie essentially just being a kid's story as he's playing with LEGOs- no real sense or logic to the story, but something that pulls in a lot of classic LEGO themes (Not just current ones, I'm talking stuff like Classic Space, Pirates, Castle, etc, with new themes also being pulled into the mix) and just captures that sense of wonder and playful imagination that makes LEGOs so cool in the first place. Perhaps you make some sort of simple quest story, and set every 10-20 minutes of the film in a different locale- first there's Castle, then Pirates, then even Space, perhaps a bit of Aquazone or Atlantis, and the final bit be the confrontation with an evil Wizard or some such trope. Heck, depending on how it's done, the LEGO portions of the film could all be dialogue-less, with some narration when necessary. Perhaps then the live action portions (Which should be kept to about 40% of the film) could focus on a child's escape through his LEGOs, how he goes through the problems of his own life by creating worlds with his LEGO sets. Nothing too cliched, though, otherwise it paints LEGO bricks as the ultimate savior for problem children, but make it so that this child uses LEGOs as a means of escape from his own reality.

Think like Neverending Story types of stuff here, with more of the film being focused on just pure imagination, wonder, and a dash of spectacle, with your typical kid's cliches put to the wayside. The LEGO portions can have a fairy tale-like tone, while the live-action portions are serious, without being melodramatic. If they tried to go for something like that instead of something that would guarantee them an immediate success, then I think they'd have something that would become an absolute classic- something that gives kids things to really awe at and be wrapped up in, but also something for parents that would perhaps make them remember that childhood innocence and wonder from so long ago. Plus, in the long run, I think something like that would end up selling more LEGO sets.

Needless to say, I loved it.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Clavius » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:08 am

I can sum up what I loved about the movie in one word:

SPACESHIP! That whole scene just cracked me up. There couldn't have been anyone more perfect than Charlie Day for that scene.

But on another note I was extremely surprised during the end when...

The real Will Ferrel appears at the end as "the man upstairs". For a moment, when I first saw him I almost rolled my eyes a bit and thought it was going to turn into his usual schtick. Bear in mind, I'm actually a big Will Ferrel fan but I just didn't feel this movie would be the right place for it.

I was surprised and gratified at how genuine and sweet the entire scene was.

I'm not going to lie. When it comes to me, my son and LEGO, I've been very "the man upstairs too". Daddy likes his sets complete and un-messed with a lot of the time. My wife, who was sitting next to me in the theater kept giving me these glances and I just whispered at her "Shut up! I know!" and she just smirked and went back to watching the film.

I guess also because that scene really resonated with me as I'm guessing it may have with many other adult Lego fans with kids. It was cute and funny without being schmaltzy and I loved it. I think it drove home the entire point of the film beautifully.

I really can't say enough positive things about it. It just hit all the right notes and was well on par with some of the best work that Pixar has turned out.

I'm wondering where they can go from here with the sequel and I'm also mildly concerned that it won't have the same writers, but I'll remain optimistically hopeful.
Clavius

Postby plebeianprint » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Like Clavius, the end of the movie had a very powerful resonance with me. I thought:
Are adult fans of lego the villain in this movie? Am I the villain in the movie? I looked at Will's Lego setup in the film, and it felt very familiar; I echo a lot of his thought processes.

I don't know. I was kind of embarrassed, at the end of the movie, by a portion of my outlook on Lego. I just saw the film today, so the feeling is still lingering. I can't be too big a lego villain, though, as I received two robo dj figures and opened them both.
plebeianprint

Re: [SPOILERS] The Lego Movie - what did you think?

Postby CaptainFordo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 pm

I really enjoyed it too. It was relentlessly silly, in a way that few movies are these days. Even superhero movies and sci-fi are going more and more for gritty realism, or at least being somewhat grounded, instead of just saying "Aww heck, let's just do this cool stuff because it's cool and not think about logic." That's not to undermine the heart of the movie, which managed to tread the fine line between involving and over-sentimental.

The Falcon crew cameo really took me by surprise considering WB's name on the film, but it was a welcome one (kinda wished they could've had at least one Marvel hero in there too since they got SW). To get authentic 3PO and Lando was an even bigger boon. Nice (very brief) nod to Bionicle too, probably my favourite non-licenced Lego line
CaptainFordo

Postby Trooper10 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:25 pm

It seems like Disney, and hence Marvel, was the only one to say "no", spoilsports - oh well less promo for them! They got agreement from
Lucasfilm for the SW, JK Rowling for HP, not sure who for LOTR, Nickelodeon for TMNT, and a few others I think

There is an interesting interview/podcast at http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tb/tb1 ... GIiM.email (skip to about 8 minutes) where the producer discuss some very cool stuff about the development of the film.
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:45 am

You know... we can all drop the spoiler tag in here. I tagged the topic for that reason. If someone comes in here, it's their own fault it got spoiled..
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:46 am

I think it was more Warner Bros saying no to Marvel heroes.

Have Phil Lord & Christopher Miller been signed up for the sequel yet? Doesn't that seen like a necessity for the sequel?
crazybirdman

Postby rodiziorobs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:32 pm

I had very high hopes for this movie, so I was worried that because of my expectations I was setting myself up for failure.

However, I was blown away by how awesome (Awesome!) the movie was. First off, it was well-balanced between humor and sentiment; it wasn't all jokes, but had a lot of substance too. It almost veered a little to close to melodrama at the end (when the dad is gluing everything), but luckily it only toed that line without crossing it.

Also, the pacing of the movie was perfect, running along at breakneck speed between the animation style and the non-stop gags and one-liners, but the live-action third act came at just the right moment when I was almost worn out from the frenetic pace of the animation.

My only critique is that I think some of the voice actors were somewhat underused (even though he does figure quite a bit in the movie, I would have loved to have had more Metalbeard), but I suppose too little is better than having the movie bloated with too many major characters. Mine is a very weak complaint.

Best of all, my non-AFOL wife (she is what I would call a "tolerator" of LEGO) loved it, laughed as hard as I did, and keeps singing "Everything is awesome" all the time since we saw it a couple days ago. Today she even remarked that she wants us to get it as soon as it comes out; she has literally raved more about it than I have, to practically everybody she knows. I loved it, but to have her on board as well? Awesome!
rodiziorobs

Postby lowlead » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 pm

SPACESHIP!!!

Funny, clever, very well done. Although, I was the only one in the theatre that laughed out loud at the Duplo reference at the very end. Odd, I thought that was hilarious.
lowlead

Postby dWhisper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 am

You may have been the only one who laughed in your theater, but certainly not the only one who laughed at the same part. Turns out I can relate to that particular joke very well...

If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Flynn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Good afternoon, fellow FBTB-ers. The user you know as Flynn has found himself temporarily paralyzed with childhood glee after another showing of The LEGO Movie, and so, as President of Toy World I have taken it upon myself to elaborate on his opinions of the film on his behalf.

Due to the nature of my talk with you today I’ll have to keep things (comparatively) short. So let me first say the basic things- Flynn found the film blisteringly funny, of course. The way functions such as the “Hero’s Myth” and prophecies were completely skewered was deft and biting. The characters were at once hilarious (Batman, Metalbeard) and touching (Emmett and WildStyle) and the way the tone would flit between them was truly masterful.

Flynn also greatly enjoyed the numerous references and callouts to the LEGO products- from offhand references to BIONICLE and Fabuland to the usage of the official part numbers, to even background stuff like the reference to a “Macaroni” brick in the beginning (a fan-made nickname for the 2 x 2 round corner brick). This was clearly a film made by LEGO fanatics for LEGO fanatics, and Flynn enjoyed it all the more for that.

But to truly explain why the film left Flynn a gibbering mess of emotions and simple childhood joy, I’m going to have to pull back a bit and give a…different perspective.

But to do that I’ll have to adjust the frame of reference here…and…

give me a minute…

joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Return to Licensed Themes