Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

CUUSOO Blog Interviews Exo Suit Creator Peter Reid

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO CUUSOO #006 Will Be Peter Reid's Exo Suit!

Postby Staff » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am

The results of three review quarters on LEGO CUUSOO are in and of the ten projects in those reviews, the winner of Winter 2012, Spring & Summer 2013 is Peter Reid's Exo Suit. This is another first for CUUSOO, not being based on a real world model like Shinkai 6500, Hayabusa & Curiousity or pop culture models based on Minecraft and BTTF, but an original model and one created by a well known AFOL. The final model is in development with LEGO designers now so we'll have to wait and see how it will turn out. Those holding on for Portal's extended consideration time frame are sure to be disappointed, but Land-Rover Defender 110 fans will be pleased it is still in consideration. Perhaps the next fan driven Technic set? Word on the next review should come in early 2014, so let's hope there is a sneak peek at the final Exo Suit at that time as well.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/10/23/lego-cuusoo-006-will-be-peter-reids-exo-suit/
Staff

Re: LEGO CUUSOO #006 Will Be Peter Reid's Exo Suit!

Postby gomek » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:28 am

Can there only be one accepted set per review? That would be a real load.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this guy recognizing the AFOL community. After years of treating adult fans like nut jobs, Lego certainly seems to be coming around.

Also, very curious what the minifig design will be. While I like the set, sadly this may tip the buying decision one way or the other.

Bring on Ghostbusters!!!!!!!!!!!!
gomek

Postby onions » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:00 am

i can't wait for this.

and i agree about the whole 1 per cycle thing. though, some cycles got 0 based on the way they lumped three quarter's worth of reviews into one.

i actually have high hopes for ghostbusters. and i have the BTTF set to thank for setting up my expectations.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby dWhisper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:24 pm

And LEGO to thank for eventually crushing them?
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby wyldjedi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:42 pm

I mentioned something about this on TBB. I would love to have ideas that make it to the final round put in a 'contenders pool' for future picks. So if the idea is viable and valid, it would not need to get another 10k votes. Or if the idea has no chance on winning, we are given the reason (especially early in the voting process), such as the violence for Shawn of the dead, or the license problems with a products like Zelda. I would even take them saying 'we thought idea X would not be as popular as idea Y'. If Lego has an idea that a Cuusoo project will have a licensing problem or some other conflict that will cause it to never even be considered, I would be much happier with the whole process if I was informed earlier on it has no chance, like before it even gets 10k votes. I would really love to know why Space Troopers did not make it, even if it is only to have Lego say "The hard suit is more marketable' or 'It is too much like the current Galaxy squad' or 'the idea is too big and would span too many sets'. What is the part count threshold or other conditions that have more weight? Am I being too picky?... cause I get like that. I just wish there was more transparency with the details; would also help in how I vote for future ideas.
wyldjedi

Postby Solo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Wow. I'm surprised that was picked. Even with them redesigning it my hopes are pretty high here.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Trooper10 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 pm

This is cool - I'm pretty happy that it isn't just another pop-culture set. Don't get me wrong, I like em and all, but so many proposals are just an iconic movie scene or vehicle....it's great to see something that is an original concept (not even another metal object some scientists have flung into space or dropped in the ocean..)

wyldjedi wrote:...idea that a Cuusoo project will have a licensing problem or some other conflict that will cause it to never even be considered, I would be much happier with the whole process if I was informed earlier on it has no chance, like before it even gets 10k votes.

I don't think TLG is gonna bother putting much effort into assessing proposals before they hit 10,000...I wouldn't waste any money on it.
Trooper10

Postby wyldjedi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I bet Lego has a few full time people looking over the Cuusoo website so they can nab ideas for future sets and themes. Wild West theme became Lone Ranger, Space Troopers became Galaxy Squad. Well, I guess it did not happen exactly like that to any real extent, but chances are that at least some ideas from Cuusoo submissions have been carried over in subtle ways. And no, I would not put it past them to do that. Anything submitted to Cuusoo automatically become Lego's property, so your idea is now theirs. Any set designs posted they can use. Any 3D modeling or pics of new brick molds or minifig accessories they can take. I guarantee they have a few employees looking around and taking notes.
wyldjedi

Postby dWhisper » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 am

Very unlikely. Outside of the legal quagmire that would come from poaching ideas, there's not a lot of benefit to LEGO pulling external stuff. Historically, LEGO is very insular and closed for their development and ideas, and the stuff you see on the shelves was typically started years before we even glimpse it. More than that, LEGO has no vested interest in full time people dedicated to a site like Cuusoo, there's just not enough work there. Builders are a tiny portion of their workforce.

It's probably more like an additional job of some project manager, and it goes to a committee that meets every month or two when you can herd the cats right.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby sparkart » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:40 am

I'd be willing to bet LEGO does NOT have a few full time people looking over fan-sites and Cuusoo looking for ideas. They've got a lot of creative people already. When I was a kid, I used to think that LEGO could read my mind, because I'd see similar things I wanted or built incorporated into LEGO sets. For instance, before there were chairs for minifigs, I used to use brackets for chairs, and a little later, there were chairs for minifigs...how did LEGO know what I wanted?! Because it's what everyone wanted...

Making the leap from Cowboys to Lone Ranger, Space Troopers (or Halo, or Alien Legion, or whatever IP) to Galaxy Squad isn't really a leap as much a logical step.

I've made a few things, more than once, that I found other people had made independently, that were amazingly similar to each other. Really shouldn't be too amazing...there's only so many ways to piece these little pieces of plastic together. And with everyone's awareness of pop culture, there's going to be a lot of similar and common ideas.
sparkart

Postby wyldjedi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:51 am

This is taken directly from Cuusoo's ToS page:

"In exchange for use of the Platform, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Platform give rise to any intellectual property right interest, herunder copyright, you hereby assign all rights worldwide to the content generated by you to LEGO, meaning that LEGO can use your contributions in any way and for any purpose, including to reproduce, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, sell, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions."

They are the equivalent of Facebook using your profile and pictures for whatever they want. While them outright taking entire projects is unlikely for many different reasons, you cannot deny that the wording makes anything you put on Cuusoo theirs. Yes, piece and theme designers are only a small part of the entire process, and that they probably have quite a few years worth of ideas built up on their own. But you cannot deny that Cuusoo is, ultimately, a free resource of new ideas for Lego and I guarantee they have at least one employee looking for anything new to add to future projects. I know I am looking at this pessimistically, but I have worked for companies that have done similar 're-purposing' of existing ideas. You would be amazed at how sneaky large companies can be. I am sure most parts and ideas have already been thought up by Lego designers, but there are thousands of new ideas posted throughout the year on Cuusoo. Chances are there will be at least 1 or 2 that have something completely new to bring to the table. I am not trying to say that Lego will take everything they see, but we are providing them with ideas, on a micro or macro scale.

Well I don't want to hijack the thread... so I am glad Reids Hardsuit won. I cannot wait to see what Lego does to the final version. Hopefully it will look better than the Delorian
wyldjedi

Postby plebeianprint » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Excellent. I'm glad to see a project picked for the merit of its build, as opposed to its use of copyrighted material. I was cheering for this build. I hope that the final version is not so monochromatic, but otherwise it's a definite buy for me.
plebeianprint

Postby onions » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:46 pm

wyldjedi wrote:This is taken directly from Cuusoo's ToS page:

"In exchange for use of the Platform, and to the extent that your contributions through use of the Platform give rise to any intellectual property right interest, herunder copyright, you hereby assign all rights worldwide to the content generated by you to LEGO, meaning that LEGO can use your contributions in any way and for any purpose, including to reproduce, copy, adapt, modify, perform, display, publish, sell, broadcast, transmit, or otherwise communicate to the public by any means whether now known or unknown and distribute your contributions for the whole duration of protection granted to intellectual property rights by applicable laws and international conventions."

They are the equivalent of Facebook using your profile and pictures for whatever they want. While them outright taking entire projects is unlikely for many different reasons, you cannot deny that the wording makes anything you put on Cuusoo theirs. Yes, piece and theme designers are only a small part of the entire process, and that they probably have quite a few years worth of ideas built up on their own. But you cannot deny that Cuusoo is, ultimately, a free resource of new ideas for Lego and I guarantee they have at least one employee looking for anything new to add to future projects. I know I am looking at this pessimistically, but I have worked for companies that have done similar 're-purposing' of existing ideas. You would be amazed at how sneaky large companies can be. I am sure most parts and ideas have already been thought up by Lego designers, but there are thousands of new ideas posted throughout the year on Cuusoo. Chances are there will be at least 1 or 2 that have something completely new to bring to the table. I am not trying to say that Lego will take everything they see, but we are providing them with ideas, on a micro or macro scale.

Well I don't want to hijack the thread... so I am glad Reids Hardsuit won. I cannot wait to see what Lego does to the final version. Hopefully it will look better than the Delorian

it's like you read my mind. i've been saying for years that LEGO exploits the adult community for their own benefit while doling out little to no rewards to the people they're stealing from.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:32 pm

onions wrote:
wyldjedi wrote:This is taken directly from Cuusoo's ToS page:

it's like you read my mind. i've been saying for years that LEGO exploits the adult community for their own benefit while doling out little to no rewards to the people they're stealing from.

I think you guys are acting a little childish. A business is created to make profit by utilizing voluntary contracts with others (trading sets for dollars, or paying employees dollars in exchange for work). You do not OWE them anything and they do not OWE you anything. If their fine print says that if you voluntary wish to send them ideas in hopes they will pick it, that you would be giving them the right to use it in the future without paying you, then you either accept it or decline it......no different than if I opened an ice cream stand for $100 a cone. You can either accept or decline.

If you don't want Lego to use any ideas you give them, then perhaps it's best to not give them.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby onions » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 pm

and i think you're acting a little narrow minded on this. the issue isn't whether or not people should submit and give up their rights, it's the fact that lego is forcing all users to give up their rights on their own mocs upon submission. there are a million other ways that rights to the moc could have been handled upon submission, but to grant themselves 100% ownership is nothing but opportunist on their part.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 am

I'm acting narrow-minded because I believe every person and business has the right to enter into a VOLUNTARY contract with someone, but people like you, who are saying businesses should not have the right to enter into a VOLUNTARY contract with someone, are open-minded?

......for real? :facepalm:

I'm glad politicians don't agree with some of the sentiments shared here, otherwise Lego would never have been able to legally make this opportunity and we wouldn't be getting an Exo Suit. It will be interesting to see how this set turns out.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby onions » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 pm

you totally missed my point, but whatever.
onions
Founder
Founder

CUUSOO Blog Interviews Exo Suit Creator Peter Reid

Postby Staff » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:58 am

While we wait for Exo Suit, the latest CUUSOO project to pass the review phase, to become a reality, the The OFficial LEGO CUUSOO Blog posted an interview with its designer, Peter Reid. It's a quick read, no pun intended, but is quite encouraging for projects not based on an existing property to make it through.

Thanks to ninnymuggins for the heads up.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/11/23/cuusoo-blog-interviews-exo-suit-creator-peter-reid/
Staff

Re: CUUSOO Blog Interviews Exo Suit Creator Peter Reid

Postby gomek » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm really kind of interested to see what they do with the mini figure in this set. Will it be a reissue or original design? Classic space themed or not. Classic yellow or fleshie?
gomek

Return to Licensed Themes