Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Eurobricks Reveals LEGO Star Wars 2014 Set Images

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Eurobricks Reveals LEGO Star Wars 2014 Set Images

Postby gomek » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:42 am

onions wrote:It wasn't until I read this post that i realized that there is only one OT set. if i didn't have my completionist mindset, 2014 would have been a very cheap year.

On one had it makes me sad that there's only one OT set, but on the other hand I guess I prefer that to rehashes of figures I already own. I'd have to say there are only a dozen or so figures I really long for, and my fear is that they are minor enough that Lego will continue to ignore them. Or maybe I'll get two a year for the next 6 years or so.

My only real hope is that Rebels show will shoe horn many of those figure in the show, and by way of that I'll be able to get lot of those missing OT figures. I can only assume we'll be seeing alot of the Rebel pilot extras from the OT and perhaps even some of the cantina extras in a guest spot or two. As long as I get regular Lego style face designs with Rebels, that may be my only hope.
gomek

Postby Inzane » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm not a big fan of reissues and rehashes in general, but I'm really surprised at the sheer number appearing in this wave, all at once.
As mentioned, a large chunk of items appear to be from the 2005 ep3 wave, this third V-wing looks a lot like the first one from 2006, etc. Its really only the battle packs that are showing a bit of diversity.

It makes you wonder if the license is finally starting to stagnate.
Inzane

Postby hatcher » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 pm

I think it terms of the number of reissues, remember that before Lucas sold to Disney, there was a plan to re-release each movie in 3d. Almost all of these sets are episode 3 sets, which was supposed to be coming out soon. So they probably planned all these sets to capitalize on the re-release.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby CaptainFordo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:30 pm

hatcher wrote:I think it terms of the number of reissues, remember that before Lucas sold to Disney, there was a plan to re-release each movie in 3d. Almost all of these sets are episode 3 sets, which was supposed to be coming out soon. So they probably planned all these sets to capitalize on the re-release.

Mmm, in much the same way Ep II sets dominated this year. It seems like Lego figured they'd stick with it, which implies an Ep IV heavy 2015 (though of course it's Episode VII by then so...)
CaptainFordo

Postby Blue Squadron » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm just an old original trilogy fan so I have little interest in the stuff from the Prequels or the Clone Wars. That said, the new Anakin from the Jedi Interceptor is probably one of the best minifigure versions I've seen of that character. There are a lot of re-releases but I guess, as much as it might be irritating for those of us who were here first time around, that's probably no bad thing for people who missed the original versions of these things. As others have pointed out, it seems likely that this wave was developed and all set up to tie in with the re-releases of the later Prequel movies which then never happened following the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney.

The new Chewbacca is definitely a big improvement and loooooooooong overdue. Even ol' Darth Vader has had a make-over (of sorts). I wonder when we'll see the new Chewie in an original trilogy set?

The 75034 Death Star Troopers set I will undoubtedly be getting as I want at least a couple of Gunners to go with my 10188 Death Star. I won't be getting more than two sets of 75034 though; four Gunners will do and I just don't need *that* many Royal Guards...!! I'm also not convinced by the latest attempt to create a force-pike for them; it just looks like an odd lightsaber with a black handle and a light bley blade. I think I'll stick to using plain old-style spears in pearl silver for my Royal Guards until something better comes along. Not at all keen on the new "firing" blasters either. Blecch.

Overall, it still strikes me as odd, however, that they didn't think to include an *actual* "Death Star Trooper" in this set! (Yes, I know, Navy Trooper, whatever). LEGO now *has* the correctly shaped helmet for these guys and it's only been used in one set (9492 TIE Fighter), so why not put at least *one* of those Death Star Troopers in a set called "Death Star Troopers"...?! There are any number of other, different, Imperial troops that they *could* have included instead of bunging in another two Royal Guards.

For example, it would have been fairly easy to create the (unlucky!) Scanning Technicians who went aboard the Millennium Falcon in IV using the AT-ST Driver bley body/legs (the overalls print) with flesh hands and a black kepi. A set with one Gunner, one Death Star Trooper, one Technician and one Royal Guard would have been OK; or maybe take out the Royal Guard entirely and have two of either the Gunners or the Troopers and one of the other with one Tech...?
Blue Squadron

Postby onions » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm

totally agree with you on the death star trooper rant. that battle pack is really only half appealing. the royal guards would have been better off to be included in the eventual remake of the shuttle set. they'll probably be included anyway but a gunners/troopers battle pack would have made much more sense. one would need way more gunners than guards in their army.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby darth_fett » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm reserving judgement on the firing blasters. Sure they look stupid, but TLG isn't going to go real steel like Megablocks. The missile launchers work pretty well, although the bazooka and Scarlett's crossbow are wonky. If they can fire better than flickfire and half as good as a cannon, I'd be pretty happy. The cat loved it when i launched a broadside barrage of cannon fire.
darth_fett

Postby Zrath » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm liking the various battle packs, especially the Death Star gunners!
The Droid Gunship is one of my favorites so I'm glad to see a new version.

Oh look, yet another yellow Anakin Jedi Interceptor.
I'd like to see a red Obi-Wan Jedi Interceptor for a change.
Lego only ever made one back in 2005, as part of the 7283 Ultimate Space Battle set,
and I think it's high time for a new one!
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=7283-1
I mean, seriously, there's been THREE yellow Anakin Interceptors since!
Zrath

Postby Flynn » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:05 pm

I think the guns look rather cute, honestly. They harken back to the old megaphone blasters, which in my mind is only a good thing. Holy hell, though, is that box-art ugly.

As for overall impressions, though...not good. For starters the battlepacks reek of laziness and an excuse to sell some figures by cobbling together random turrets and speeders, and the whole line is just...bizarre. Like, okay, you're doing Episode 3 sets, and instead of doing, say, an ARC-170, Clone Turbo Tank, a Wookie ship, etc, you pick Droid Gunships and 'anti-vehicle cannons'? And another Jedi Starfighter (when I could swear the previous one is still on shelves at my local Target).

Honestly, this line more than any other seems just inordinately lazy. And it's not the rehashes, per se- it's the choice in what they're rehashing and how they choose to execute those sets. Still, this could just be the result of having already done a lot of the pivotal scenes in the past couple years- maybe they were just sparse on ideas for this particular film (wouldn't surprise me, given how sparse Ep. III merchandise tends to be). Maybe things'll be looking up once they're out of this particular film.

Also, do those Kashykk troopers seem a bit...Mega Blok-y to anyone else?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby darth_fett » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:42 pm

i haven't figured out how to quote someone and put it in my post, but to answer Flynn about the size of the ships, i find that January is always the release of the smaller sets, with the bigger sets soon to follow. Probably March or April we'll see crappy rebuilds of Turbo tanks with spring fire ugly turrets or weird wookie machinations of war. Also with crappy spring fire. Are they going to keep to a theme of colored laser missiles for factions? Would we see a Hoth Ion Cannon fire blue, Rebel ships fire red and Imperial Turbolasers fire green? I agree with Flynn that the helmets are ugly, but i believe its more the source material. I prefer Ep II helmets anyday. The only cool altered helmet of any consequence is Cody's.
darth_fett

Postby Morgan19 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 pm

^ Hit the "quote" button to the right of the post you want to quote. :)
Morgan19

Postby Flynn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:41 pm

darth_fett wrote:Are they going to keep to a theme of colored laser missiles for factions? Would we see a Hoth Ion Cannon fire blue, Rebel ships fire red and Imperial Turbolasers fire green?

To be fair, that is what the films did.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:43 am

In for 1-2 of the OT set - the rest are rehashes that I don't want.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby dWhisper » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:22 am

This continues the worrisome pattern of the January sets being junky (as they have been for the last few years). Hopefully that means that the pattern of great sets showing up in the summer, maybe they'll finally make a good redesign of the ISD or something like that. Though I'd bet that a new AT-AT seems more likely, based on their focus now...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Rook » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 am

Interesting looks like they came up with a new firing piece. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it can shoot.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby dWhisper » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:01 am

Yeah, if you ever saw the earlier leaked pictures, it was featured prominently on the box art / marketing blurbs for the new sets. So now I get to complain about those in reviews, along with flick-fires!
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby The Phantom Menace » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Looking at the new minifigures I think Lego have gone a bit OTT on detail. I'm not liking the cheekbone detail that they've added to Han and Anakin, I would prefer if they keep the facial detailing to a minimum.
The Phantom Menace

Postby hoofendoofer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:52 am

I must have the updated Chewie. The new blasters look terrible. I just hope they aren't as bad as flick fires. I want the cannon and the Interceptor.
Beep boop deet doot
hoofendoofer

Postby Marty » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:17 am

Been keeping an open mind on these latest sets, that was until I spotted the Deathstar troopers, finally we get them, pity they weren't included in the Death Star set, it would have improved it no end.
Also I think they've done an excellent job on chewie this time around, but the set he's in is a bit expensive for my taste, I'll pass for now.
As for lom and Zuckus, I would love to see these, as well as a better version of Ig 88 sofar the last two versions have been pretty lame, Dengar however was a vast improvement.
Marty

Postby lego the hutt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:42 pm

dWhisper wrote:Hopefully that means that the pattern of great sets showing up in the summer, maybe they'll finally make a good redesign of the ISD

That is exactly what I am hoping for. Good call! XD
lego the hutt

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars