Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Custom molds: good or bad?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Custom molds: good or bad?

Postby Spencer Solo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 am

So I was checking out Arealight.com recently and realized: hmm, what does the fbtb community think of this. Please comment your opinions in the thread and tell me what you think!
" Try? Ha! Do or do not. There is no try."- Yoda
Favorite my Photos!:[flickr=]http://www.flickr.com/photos/96452956@N02/[/flickr]
Spencer Solo

Re: Custom molds: good or bad?

Postby Joedward » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:24 am

They're great.
Slightly expensive but the quality is near enough on par with LEGO's own. I've spent too much money in that online store, but the figures look absolutely stellar kitted out with those helmets.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Ultron32 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:04 pm

I have no Arealight but custom molds in general are cool. Such as Guy Himbers Pig & Cow heads.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Rook » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:46 pm

I have couple the plastic feels a little different and colors are slightly different but close enough that they don't stand out. In general I find customs are great way "Expand the Lego Universe". :)
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Solo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:40 pm

I bought a couple of parts back when he was casting in resin, it was a little rough around he edges but I was satisfied. Is he doing injection molded plastic now?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Spencer Solo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:30 am

I'm not sure. They feel like lego plastic, though.
" Try? Ha! Do or do not. There is no try."- Yoda
Favorite my Photos!:[flickr=]http://www.flickr.com/photos/96452956@N02/[/flickr]
Spencer Solo

Postby dWhisper » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:40 pm

I own some Brick Forge stuff, mostly musical instruments and a few weapons / hats. I have no issue at all with that sort of part or minifig stuff, since they're usually bridging a gap or creating some highly specialized thing. That being said, to date, the only things I've ever actually used in a MOC that I put together are a pair of minifig drumsticks and a violin.

I'm all for the stuff from BF, Arealight, etc. But I'm never going to support creating special bricks to actual change building styles (like the ones where people try to make a plate with studs on either side). I consider that the same as gluing a brick...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby alldarker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:32 am

I've bought quite a few of Arealight's products in the past, including his Twi'lek heads and his amazing Ithorian heads. Arealight has always succeeded in making his designs 'fit in' with regular Lego designs, without being overly gaudy or hyperdetailed.
I've also bought a bunch of the Star Wars guns and blasters from TheLittleArmsShop.com (and it's predecessor) back when Stormtroopers were still armed with megaphones and before Lego started making their own detailed blasters. They too fit in well because they look like official parts.
I also bought BrickArms products (mostly WWII stuff and modern arms), but with those, I feel in recent years they have become too detailed in shape and color and too unlike official Lego. I do still love their older output, though.
alldarker

Postby stanley » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:01 am

Hate the idea of all the custom molds, its wrong, if youre a Lego fan you want Lego not fake stuff
stanley

Return to Star Wars