Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Yoda Chronicles Primer: What You Need To Know

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

The Yoda Chronicles Primer: What You Need To Know

Postby Staff » Wed May 29, 2013 1:15 am

The Yoda Chronicles

So what is The Yoda Chronicles? It's a TV show, an online experience, and a marketing gimmick all in one. And I'm going to try and break it down for you all in one post cause I myself need to get this straight in my head.

TV Show

The Yoda Chronicles promo

Cartoon Network will debut "The Phantom Clone", the first of three episodes, tonight at 8pm with the other two scheduled to air before the end of the year. The story behind the series is that Yoda hid an ancient relic called the Kaiber Crystal. Count Dooku, his former apprentice, wants this relic and knows exactly where it is. The Sith have plans to take this relic and infuse a clone on Kamino with Force powers. This is the origin of Jek-14.

The series writer is Michael Price and that name should sound familiar as he wrote both The Padawan Menace and The Empire Strikes Out so you should get an idea of what to expect: lots of humor, gags, and jokes. In terms of continuity, the events of The Yoda Chronicles take place some time between Episode II and III so the major characters are from that era. Yet Price has gone on record to say that Classic Era characters also make an appearance. Whether the classic characters are younger versions to maintain some semblance of continuity remains to be seen.

Online Experience

Holocron Vault

LEGO is pushing The Yoda Chronicles on their site with a series of short movies and other interactive bits and bobs. If you head over to StarWars.LEGO.com, you'll see the Holocron Vault. Each of those lights represents an animated short or wallpaper that you can download. Right now not all of the lights are active, but there's enough there to waste some time with. The movies section has all of the animations ordered in reverse order. Each episode is split into two parts. They're nice little diversions but don't really add to The Yoda Chronicles story line. The production value is pretty nice as the animations are beautifully rendered. If you've played any of the Traveler's Tales video games the dialog or lack there of should be familiar. Just short of a few one word expressions, communication between characters is more or less a series of grunts.

Marketing Gimmick

75018 Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter 1

LEGO is already creating merchandise based on The Yoda Chronicles. And why shouldn't they? It is their own wholly owned, fully licensed production after all. The first and probably only set out of the gate for retail sale is 75018 Jek-14 Stealth Starfighter scheduled for release in August. It is priced at $69.99, has 550 pieces, and comes with 4 all new minifigures, including the first ever minifig element case in transparent plastic. The Stealth Starfighter looks like it's based on the expanded universe E-wing Fighter. With only three episodes confirmed we may get lucky and see another set for the January 2014 assortment but I'm not holding my breath. We'll have to see what the episodes actually have in store for us.

There's also a book in the works aptly titled The Yoda Chronicles which you can pre-order it from Amazon right now! And just as you'd expect like most of their other books, it too comes with an exclusive minifig of Special Forces Commander Clone Trooper. I wouldn't expect much in the way of gripping content but it should be enjoyable by kids standards.

Still confused? I am a little but it may be because it's way past my bedtime. Depending on the success of the show, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, there may be additional episodes beyond the first three. The Holocron Vault was designed to provide countless stories all told through the eyes of Yoda. There's a lot of little lights.

Set your DVRs and reminders for The Yoda Chronicles on Cartoon Network tonight at 8pm/7pm Central. For you Canadian fans, it's on Teletoon at 3:30pm Pacific according to Zap2It.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/05/29/the-yoda-chronicles-primer-what-you-need-to-know/
Staff

Re: The Yoda Chronicles Primer: What You Need To Know

Postby jallenuk » Wed May 29, 2013 2:35 am

I've already had chance to watch the first episode a few times. I did enjoy it (more and more with each viewing). It is very clearly aimed at younger kids - The first two stand alone specials managed to appeal to all ages, and whilst this does in some ways the humour is not as sophisticated. Some of the characters act very stupidly.

My favourite scene involves Yoda and Mace around a camp fire pondering who could be the undercover Sith lord - I'll not spoil but I found it funny!

This first episode basically sets up the creation of Clone 14 - Called Jek. Dooku sends Grievous to steel the four Padawans lightsabers - so he can steal the crystals from them and somehow Sith enhance a whole army of Clones.

Keep your eyes open for Ian and another Young version of a well known OT character!

I am looking forward to the next two episodes to see where the story will lead. I may have missed them but so far Jek-14 is the only character from the Chronicles Lego set that has been seen in the episode.
jallenuk
Staff Writer

Postby jomandybri » Wed May 29, 2013 3:27 am

Sorry to be the grammar Nazi, but I believe (if it's the same as the other crystals in the EU) that it's a Kaiburr crystal. XD

EDIT: After doing some thinking, I believe they were originally referenced to in Splinter of the Mind's Eye. This being a time where George had the idea that everyone was able to use the force, and Jedi were the ones who chose to channel it.
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed May 29, 2013 6:43 am

jomandybri wrote:Sorry to be the grammar Nazi, but I believe (if it's the same as the other crystals in the EU) that it's a Kaiburr crystal. XD

Sorry to be an actual grammar Nazi, but I believe you were being a spelling Nazi as the incorrect spelling of the make believe crystal you pointed out has no affect on the sentence it inhabits. ;)

Check your DVR`s Canucks. I have Teletoon east and west and it will be on at 7:30 on the east coast and 6:30 on the west. gorram time zones...

Also, Teletoon is rebroadcasting the first two LEGO Star Wars specials in the hour leading up to it.
buriedbybricks

Postby onions » Wed May 29, 2013 8:31 am

i submit to you exhibit a, a promotional comic from which the misspelling of kaiburr originated:

Typo by fbtb, on Flickr
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Guguseli » Wed May 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Check out this link and click on pic no 4 of the yc-book.
This must be the upcoming new yoda hut...right?
Too detailed to be just "made for print"...
Guguseli

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Wed May 29, 2013 3:19 pm

I don't see what there is to be confused about. With the Clone Wars cancelled and most other sets being rehashes this year, Lego decided to come up with their own CW-era cartoon that they can base sets on and put a bunch of marketing around it to make kids buy those sets. Simple as that.

I enjoy the Lego animations, but making them just so that they have an excuse to make up their own vehicles and characters to make into a toy is too gimmicky for me. Therefore I hope they leave it at these first three episodes. After all, there will be plenty of inspiration to draw from again when Star Wars Rebels premieres next year. Ralph McQuarrie X-Wing anyone?
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby RfAurora » Wed May 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Are there any official plans for the Jedi Academy School bus from The Padawan Menace or the fan girl shuttle from The Empire Strikes Out?
RfAurora

Postby Gooker1 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 am

It was a pretty good episode. Not the best of the three SW Lego specials. W/ two more episodes planned, this might get better.
Gooker1

Postby Mister Ed » Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 am

Guguseli wrote:Check out this link and click on pic no 4 of the yc-book.
This must be the upcoming new yoda hut...right?
Too detailed to be just "made for print"...

If we are looking at the same picture, that looks exactly like the OLD Yoda's Hut that came with the 4502 X-wing.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/4502_X-Wing_Fighter
Mister Ed

Postby Ultron32 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:33 pm

I sure hope they make the padawan bus. It's appeared twice now...and I'm guessing the exclusive fig for this is gonna be Lando or his dad or whatever. Either that or a padawan.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby onions » Fri May 31, 2013 12:51 am

there were plans to make one at some point if my memory serves me correctly. however, the model that the bus in the cartoon is based on was heavily modified by the time it made it to the screen. there are a few illegal connections that would have to be addressed.
onions
Founder
Founder

Return to Star Wars