Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars Spacecraft Look and Feel - 1-3, 4-6, 7-9

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Star Wars Spacecraft Look and Feel - 1-3, 4-6, 7-9

Postby Haderach1976 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Folks,

37 year old who grew up with the original films here! Thought this might be a fun discussion, it bounces around in my head from time to time. Having grown up with the OT spaceships (toys, models, etc) I think I had a certain mental picture of how a lot of the ships in the PT would look like. In my mind, since it was in the past versus the OT, I expected the fighters and star ships to somewhat look the same, or even "older" (less technically advanced / less polished) than what we saw in the OT. What I saw with the PT films were ships that looked much more futuristic / technologically advanced / shiny / glossy etc versus much of what we saw in the OT. There are of course a myriad of reasons one could imagine (George's vision, changes in the film industry, a galaxy that hasn't been riddled with war yet, you name it...). That said, the purpose of this thread is not to discuss the past, but to discuss your vision / thoughts / desires for what you'd like to see in episodes 7-9 with respect to the space craft / vehicles. Personally, it would be great if we have another "character" as beloved to us as the MF (rumor of the ships demise in ep 7 is certainly intriguing). I'm not very familiar with the EU but I'd love to see Slave 1/2/3 or whatnot worked into the theme. A "cameo" of sorts of the x-wing / y-wing / b-wing / a-wing (pick your poison) would be neat! Most of all, I just can't wait to see what they come up with (and then what LEGO does with them)! Well, I think by now you get the theme of my post. Looking forward to any responses. Take care all.

- Haderach (Charlie)
Haderach1976

Re: Star Wars Spacecraft Look and Feel - 1-3, 4-6, 7-9

Postby tsaiken » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 pm

No replies? ok, i will bite.

Hoping for new star destroyer types - i loved seeing the transition of the acclamator class developing into the venator class. Would like to see more super star destroyers types, the Executor was awesome.

Would be cool to see if/how the X-wing class fighter, tie fighter, etc evolve over time.

And, of course, NEED to see more actual "star wars" - meaning, actual fights between capital ships and fighters like in the beginning of episode III. Are you familiar with the Master and Commander movie? The ship to ship combat in that film was great - very indepth, developed. Tactics and strategies were discussed and ultimately we saw a smaller ship triumph over a larger one. It probably won't happen, but it would be neat if we that same level of detail in the new SW.

JJ's space combat sequences in star trek were great, i think he will easily be able to out do what we saw in that film. He has so much more to work with in SW.
tsaiken

Postby sparkart » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 pm

I remember Genndy Tartakovsky using the words "Star Warsy" to describe the aesthetic he wanted for the ship designs in Clone Wars (Not The Clone Wars, but the hand-drawn Clone Wars).

To me, there are elements and details that suggest Star Wars ships, but of course, there are always exceptions:
canopy frames (exception: Slave I bubble canopy)
Oversized engines that only point backward (exception: TIE fighters)
Variable geometry "wings" (The Clone Wars has gone a bit overboard with these)

When Star Wars ships were physical models kit-bashed from plastic model kits, I think the ships came out better. Christopher Nolan's Batman Tumbler evolved from plastic model kit-bashed studies, and this kind of hands-on 3D modeling made for a better final product, I think, something with mass and gravitas. I know as artists get better with 3D tools, the products will look better. Ever looked at car designs? If you look hard enough, you can kinda tell if a car was designed with a clay model, or designed solely on a computer. But I digress.

What I'd like to see in the Star Wars movies is...something I've not seen before, but still has those Star Warsy elements. The Tumbler and Batpod were nothing like I'd seen before, and I loved them.
sparkart

Postby longtooth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 am

They definately have to have that Star-Warsy, 'dirty tech' feel to them. And the distinctive cockpit frame patterns seen in the OT. They need to have that 'cobbled together' look about them i think. Like the Rebel fleet ships. Even the Star Destroyers, as advanced as they are, have an aesthetic that we can relate to.....very similar hull shapea and textures to our present day Navy destroyers. The prequels ships were in my opinion, too advanced looking, apart from maybe the republic cruisers. But then, im in my mid 30s and grew up with the OT sooo....
longtooth

Postby longtooth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:06 am

They definately have to have that Star-Warsy, 'dirty tech' feel to them. And the distinctive cockpit frame patterns seen in the OT. They need to have that 'cobbled together' look about them i think. Like the Rebel fleet ships. Even the Star Destroyers, as advanced as they are, have an aesthetic that we can relate to.....very similar hull shapea and textures to our present day Navy destroyers. The prequels ships were in my opinion, too advanced looking, apart from maybe the republic cruisers. But then, im in my mid 30s and grew up with the OT sooo....
longtooth

Postby lowlead » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:23 pm

^^ Agreed.

...and it bears repeating! The key word here is 'physical' models. I want the upcoming trilogy to be a balance of CG and miniatures (or big-atures) in the style of Jackson's LOTR - where CG enhances the physical, and does NOT replace it!

As far as design goes, I have faith there will be plenty of cool stuff...as long as it's sculpted first! :D
lowlead

Return to Star Wars