Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

May the Fourth Exclusive is new Han Solo (Hoth) minifig?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

May the Fourth Exclusive is new Han Solo (Hoth) minifig?

Postby DarthBuilder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:27 am

An image of a poly bag with Han Solo (Hoth) minifig has been posted at Hothbricks.com. Would think that this might confirm the rumor that Han Solo is our May the Fourth Exclusive this year. Have yet to find a separate image elsewhere.

http://www.hothbricks.com/2013/03/may-t ... -han-solo/

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... cks.com%0A
DarthBuilder

Re: May the Fourth Exclusive is new Han Solo (Hoth) minifig?

Postby b4p » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:54 am

I just made a mirror in case the original gets taken down, and I sent a PM to onions (I didnt notice this thread).
http://imgur.com/UMHbNKq

What's that yellow thing he has his hand on?
I think I might actually pass if this is the promotion; what's with that handkerchief?
The chrome non-c3p0 last year was really good; i just pretend it's a chrome c3p0
b4p

Postby DarthBuilder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 am

That would be his hood! Since when did Han wear a brown snow suit and a tan/blonde hood on Hoth? If this is the exclusive then I will end up with it anyways as I am going to get the new X-wing day one.
DarthBuilder

Postby Drock » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:20 am

DarthBuilder wrote:Since when did Han wear a brown snow suit and a tan/blonde hood on Hoth?

I wondered that too, so I googled "Han Solo brown or blue coat on Hoth." Some pretty interesting fanboy message board rants about how Hasbro has always screwed it up. I guess LEGO has its butt covered now. :facepalm:
Drock

May the Fourth 2013 Promo Minifigure: Hoth Han Solo

Postby Staff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:14 am

Han Solo Promo Fig May The Fourth

Pictured above is a polybag set of a single LEGO Star Wars figure, Hoth Han Solo, provided by the fine folks over at Hoth Bricks. The figure is this year's May the Fourth promotional figure, like the TC-14 from last year. FBTB has an exclusive image to share with you folks:

Hoth Han Solo

There is one noticeable difference regarding the hood between the two pictures. The pic on the actual bag has a tan hood, whereas the second image shows a brown hood with a tan fringe. An additional image I received also shows the brown hood. The head element is new and is double sided with a distressed look on one side and a face mask and goggles on the other to complement the hooded appearance. The torso and legs are also feature new print patterns.

The figure would go extremely well with 75014 Battle of Hoth and because of that I can't help but feel a little cheated. Hoth Han should have been included with 75014 either as an additional figure or a substitution for one of the Hoth Rebel Troopers. Chrome C-3PO, Chrome Stormtrooper, Chrome Darth Vader, White Boba Fett, Shadow ARF Trooper, Shirtless Maul, Chrome TC-14 all have been previous promotional figures. And it's always been my impression that promotional figures are unique enough to not be included in a normal retail-released set. Hoth Han flies against the face of that logic since the planet Hoth is one of the major themes that is repeated regularly with LEGO's product release cycles. Also, in case you missed it, 75014 is available right now. The Star Wars universe is vast enough to draw inspiration from for these specialty, one-off figures. The Cantina scene alone from Episode IV has plenty of characters to last a decade or more. Just throwing this out there, but how about a freakin' Bothan? Anyways, Hoth Han is a beautiful figure no doubt, but it's not hit-it-out-of-the-park great, maybe more like a ground rule double. All we need now is a re-tooled Tauntaun with minifig storage compartment in it's belly and then everyone can reenact the "Beeennn.... Bennnnn... Dagobahhhhhhh..." scene.

The purchase threshold for Hoth Han Solo is reported to be $75 or more, which is unfortunately high. That means a Battle of Hoth set plus maybe an A-wing to hit the limit. Despite my complaining, I'll be in line at my local LEGO store that day just like everyone else ready to fork over my money for a $75 minifigure and bonus set. Additional details regarding the annual May the Fourth promo will be forthcoming.

Thanks to everyone who wrote in with the tip.

via Groove Bricks via Hoth Bricks
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/03/29/may-the-fourth-2013-promo-minifigure-hoth-han-solo/
Staff

Postby Brainslugged » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 am

Wow, totally lame figure - especially as pointed out that he could turn up in any number of other sets (particularly as Han seems to be dumped into a lot of recent sets unnecessarily such as the AT-AT and A-Wing). I'm sure I'll end up getting one of him, but it won't be like last year where I was having dreams of TC-14 before its release and I ended up getting several of him. Now that was an awesome exclusive. A black chrome Death Star Droid or similar would have been amazing - especially with a new mold for the head. I really hope we can mix in some non SW sets in order to get this figure.
Brainslugged

Postby agrahmann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:15 pm

It's possible that the yellowish hood will turn out to be brown with the tan fringe after all. The polybag picture for the Chase McCain minifig that came with preorders of Lego City Undercover had incorrectly colored hair - the hair inside was correct.
agrahmann

Re: May the Fourth 2013 Promo Minifigure: Hoth Han Solo

Postby etcknight » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Despite my complaining, I'll be in line at my local LEGO store that day just like everyone else ready to fork over my money for a $75 minifigure and bonus set. Additional details regarding the annual May the Fourth promo will be forthcoming.

Ditto to this. ;)
etcknight

Postby wyldjedi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:58 pm

The figure in itself is nice with good printing, but not good enough to warrant spending $75. This thing just does not scream 'It's limited special edition! Get it!' like the way TC-14 or the Shadow Arf figures did. Those figures were well worth buying an extra, smaller set (or one really expensive one) to get the figure. I look at this and think that even if I get it used on Bricklink it will not be utilized anywhere near to the same level as those other figures. Now, a chrome R2-D2, Metallic silver Han in Carbonite, Shadow Scout trooper, any number of characters from the EU like the Hazard or Dark Trooper with body armor, Xizor or Thrawn, or heck, even a new version of the basic Jawa would be great. Would love to see Zuckuss or 4-Lom, Ree-Yees or any number of aliens. I'm not complaining as the Han is a nice figure, but I am not going out of my way to get it.
wyldjedi

Postby The Phantom Menace » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 pm

The reason why this is exclusive is because he is in brown, Kenner messed up when they released Han Solo in brown and had to later do him in the correct colours.

Lego are purposely releasing Han incorrectly in brown to make it an exclusive figure. Before Han Solo (Hoth details) figures in the Lego sets have been in blue. This figure matches with the Boba Fett white edition, in that it is a colour variant on purpose.
The Phantom Menace

Postby The Phantom Menace » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 pm

wyldjedi wrote:Would love to see Zuckuss or 4-Lom, Ree-Yees or any number of aliens. I'm not complaining as the Han is a nice figure, but I am not going out of my way to get it.

Ree-Yees (with Max Rebo) is coming in the Summer in the new Jabba's Sail Barge set.
The Phantom Menace

Postby onions » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm

The Phantom Menace wrote:The reason why this is exclusive is because he is in brown, Kenner messed up when they released Han Solo in brown and had to later do him in the correct colours.

Lego are purposely releasing Han incorrectly in brown to make it an exclusive figure. Before Han Solo (Hoth details) figures in the Lego sets have been in blue. This figure matches with the Boba Fett white edition, in that it is a colour variant on purpose.

It may be an homage to a bygone toy company, but i doubt anyone in their target demographic, kids, would give a mynock's rear about it. they'd be like, 'kenner who? barbie's boyfriend?' I totally get what you're saying though, but it still doesn't have that cool factor that the previous exclusives had. i think either obscurity, or some type of special print or color increases it's appeal. ilike white boba fett where it was so radically different, that even if you didn't know about ralph mcquarrie's concept art, it still looked cool. This brown version looks so normal i wouldn't have even realized it was supposed to be an intentional mistake if i didn't read this thread.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Margot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:56 pm

onions wrote:It may be an homage to a bygone toy company, but i doubt anyone in their target demographic, kids, would give a mynock's rear about it.

Exactly...
Margot

Postby GrayMattR » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:53 pm

I've enjoyed some exclusives but there's no way I can justify $75 for a minifig. That's nearly a week's worth of groceries for my family of five.
GrayMattR

Postby spacysmoke » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:23 pm

I think some of you people have story about the color of the coat mixed up. The vintage Kenner figure was blue and because of that and it's blueish appearance in the film, most people think the coat is blue. In reality the coat is more brown when you see the actual costume so when Hasbro released Hoth Han in the early 90's they used the correct brown color. Of course, despite photos of the brown coat, many people preferred the blue version because it had been etched into their memory since childhood so when Hasbro released yet another Hoth Han, they made it in both colors to appease the masses and they've been doing with each new Hoth Han they release I believe.

It should be noted that the actual coat also has some blue fibers in it so the blue color is not entirely incorrect. Hasbro even made a version that tried to mimic this by molding the figure in brown plastic and then painting it with a light coat of blue (or it may have been the other way around).
spacysmoke

Postby sparkart » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:25 am

It's too bad it doesn't come with a scratch-and-sniff sticker of Taun-taun guts that can be affixed to the belly of a LEGO Taun-taun.
sparkart

Postby The Phantom Menace » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:39 pm

onions wrote:It may be an homage to a bygone toy company, but i doubt anyone in their target demographic, kids, would give a mynock's rear about it. they'd be like, 'kenner who? barbie's boyfriend?'

After some investigation it does appear that Han's coat is actually brown, but with the lighting in the film it appears blue on screen. Still previous Lego Hans have been in blue. But I highly doubt that these exclusives are targeted at children, Lego know that most of the Star Wars Lego sets are bought by adult fans (otherwise you wouldn't have the UCS), so they'll know that the target market will be aware of Kenner. Lego know well how to cater towards AFOL.

My only hope is that the B-Wing UCS has 20% (or more) off, otherwise I won't be getting this figure as all the other sets are considerably cheaper elsewhere.
The Phantom Menace

Postby Marty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Like the figure, no-matter what you lot say, would like to see a Tauntaun in the set though, with a pocket you can put a figure into along with Ben's ghost, now that wouldn't be a bad set. As for Dagobah it's been long overdue, and as well as the cloud city, bounty hunters and anything else from the Empire strikes back, but again we just buy the stuff, we don't have any say in it's production.
Perhaps if we did we'd see more stuff we'd actually buy rather than the usual.
But at least they maybe heading in the right direction, Marty
Marty

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm

The Phantom Menace wrote:Lego know that most of the Star Wars Lego sets are bought by adult fans (otherwise you wouldn't have the UCS)

Uh....most Star Wars sets are bought by adult fans? You might want to rethink your logic on that one. Lego Star Wars is the #2 bestselling theme because it's extremely popular among kids, first and foremost.
The_Chosen_1

Postby The Phantom Menace » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 am

The_Chosen_1 wrote:
The Phantom Menace wrote:Lego know that most of the Star Wars Lego sets are bought by adult fans (otherwise you wouldn't have the UCS)

Uh....most Star Wars sets are bought by adult fans? You might want to rethink your logic on that one. Lego Star Wars is the #2 bestselling theme because it's extremely popular among kids, first and foremost.

I think you meant to say "secondly", Lego wouldn't even consider creating $300+ sets if it didn't know adult fans would buy the stuff. Lego Star Wars is such a high selling theme because it's popular amongst adults, first and foremost. They wouldn't be slapping 16+ age ranges on those products if it wasn't.
The Phantom Menace

Next

Return to Star Wars