Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Yoda Target Promotional Set

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Yoda Target Promotional Set

Postby mattimator » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:26 am

Hi all,

First time posting on this forum. Mods, if this is in the wrong board, feel free to move it to the appropriate one.

Anyway, an acquaintance from my church recently pulled a large Yoda statue from her parent's attic that she is willing to sell. When she first described it, I assumed it was 7194 Yoda, the UCS. However when she sent pictures (she's since moved out of state), it turns out it's from some promotional contest Target and Pepsi ran several years back where you had to guess the right number of pieces to win it. I tried to do what research I could, but aside from two listings on Ebay and a handful of really old forum threads, I am running up short on any real information.

I am planning to purchase the UCS R2-D2 soon and thought it would be nice to have the UCS Yoda standing next to him. But now I'm torn between tracking down the UCS Yoda and this promotional set. Is this thing more of a collector's item because it was a contest prize and not available for retail? What would it be valued at? It's still in the display case, which has some minor damage. The one completed Ebay listing I found only sold for $130, but it sounds like the case was more damaged than my friend's.

Between the two Yodas, which would you buy? Anybody have more details about this set (like how many were produced)? Thanks in advance!
mattimator

Re: Yoda Target Promotional Set

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Is it glued? For my part, I'd never buy any LEGO item that was glued, since most of the fun for me lies in building the thing. If you are just looking for something to be able to flip for a profit down the line, I don't know which is a better choice, but in my opinion, the UCS one looks better for display, and is much more FUN since it isn't glued.
Mister Ed

Postby mattimator » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Yes, it is glued together. And I agree that that kind of ruins the fun. I just can't help but wonder though if this is a collector's item though and how neat that would be to have. I don't plan on reselling it. The reason I ask the value is to know more of how much I should pay my friend. Sorry, I should have explained that better in the beginning.

Thanks for your opinion, Mister Ed!
mattimator

Postby b4p » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29 am

one sold for US $250:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?G=YodaAM1

non-glued Avg Price: US $163.62:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=7194-1

going by just those images, the glued one /looks/ better IMO
b4p

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 pm

I like the colors and detailing on the UCS Yoda (more different colors, better match to the colors of the "real" Yoda, plus details like the pipes hanging around his neck, and his nails being pointed rather than simple blocks, and his head turns I think) but I have to admit that, though the color is TOO green, the actual shaping of Yoda's face looks a bit better in the glued model (at least in those pics).
Mister Ed

Return to Star Wars