Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

Postby legodeathstrike » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:04 am

all my clone wars sets are regrets, doesn't go well with my classics in my opinion.
legodeathstrike

Postby vigo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 pm

okay..now that xmas is coming...is the death star worth it? is the tantive IV? all i have heard is gotta get them..anyone have a real experience with them? :S
vigo

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:22 pm

I don't really have any regrets over sets I bought. The closest I come is some of the sets that got redone, and the redo was much better. Given the choice, I would only have bought the redo, but I can't really regret getting the originals, since at the time they seemed really cool, and I had no idea they would be remade better.

There a few sets I regret NOT buying. The original AAT is probably at the top of the list, since it was WELL within my price range. Don't know why I didn't get it. I think it is BETTER than the remake, if only because I prefer the tan colors, since I have no interest in the Clone Wars series (don't even get cable). I also regret not getting the Mos Espa Podrace set. At the time, I already HAD Anakin's pod, and couldn't see spending the money on just the other two. Even when I saw it later drastically reduced in price I didn't get it- probably so used to passing it up by that point that I did it reflexively. Watto's shop I regret missing, if only for Watto (they should remake him with stubby legs- or better yet, regular or extra-long legs that are clear, with just the tops printed with his legs).

Other than that, sets I missed I just couldn't realistically afford. So I regret not HAVING them, but can't really regret not BUYING them.
Mister Ed

Postby banthafodder » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:30 pm

vigo wrote:okay..now that xmas is coming...is the death star worth it? is the tantive IV? all i have heard is gotta get them..anyone have a real experience with them?

Read the "What set should I get" thread in the general lego discussions to help you out because only you can make that decision. That being said you stated that all you've heard is that you "gotta get" these sets. This should offer some clue to the popularity of the sets. From personal experience and based on the reviews in the forums, the death star is probably THE best set that TLG has come up with in the Star Wars line.
banthafodder

Postby Draykov » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:53 pm

vigo wrote:okay..now that xmas is coming...is the death star worth it? is the tantive IV? all i have heard is gotta get them..anyone have a real experience with them? :S

Yeah, not what this thread is for, so not worth necro-bumping...plus, it's very subjective. Like BF said, check here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=152
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Rocker317 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:19 pm

I bought that Droid Drop Bomber and it was ok i men it was a gift so i mean not that bad yet it was a waste. Never seen it in any of the shows how about u?
Rocker317

Postby Brickweiser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:08 am

I don't know if I completely regret being a set, but a couple sets I have bought I eventually took apart to use to scrap building pieces. The Imperial Landing Craft (which wasn't too great) and the the Rogue Shadow were two of em.
Brickweiser

Postby Draykov » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:37 am

Is it not a foregone conclusion that one would eventually disassemble an official set and use the parts for other creations?
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby The Brain » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:56 am

In many cases, yes. But I know that some collectors, including myself, have kept many of their official models assembled. For example, my original AT-TE has withstood the test of time, as have my AT-AT and clone turbo tank. Mostly it's the large sets that remained assembled indefinitely, but I have kept plenty of smaller ones assembled as well.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby ccandgc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:26 am

only when my wife gets the mail and intercepts a box that has a set in it :|
-Chad
ccandgc

Postby meeotch » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:52 am

Someone needs to start having their packages shipped to their work address. ;)
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby fredjh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:05 am

Draykov wrote:Is it not a foregone conclusion that one would eventually disassemble an official set and use the parts for other creations?

No... not me. I have tens of thousands of extra pieces from extra parts and ordered from Bricklink; bought in bulk tubs of LEGO...

My sets remain as is, though. I even bought an Excavator for the linear actuators... and can't bring myself to take it apart.
fredjh

Postby ccandgc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 pm

meeotch wrote:Someone needs to start having their packages shipped to their work address. ;)

See, the thing is, I work out of the house....so there goes that..... :S
-Chad
ccandgc

Postby SWLegoFanatic » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:59 pm

Hands down, the Republic Cruiser. It has a screen time of about 3 minutes in TPM and I all ready had Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan minifigs...took up a lot of space and overall is a pretty boring ship, so I sold it ;-).
SWLegoFanatic

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:56 am

I have to disagree with you there. Granted, it doesn't have a lot of screen time, but IMHO, the Republic Cruiser set is one of my favorites. I like the size (huge), I like the colors (tons of brick red), and it was certainly a better value than the Hoth Rebel Door...er..Base. I have to agree that the minifigs aren't very exciting in the RC, but to me, that's not a deal-breaker on a set.

And for those keeping track of this, put me down on the list of people who tend not to disassemble their sets. I have a ton of sets on display in my office/man-cave.

Back in 2007, I bought the Grievous fighter in a moment of "wanting new LEGO" weakness and found the ship to be mostly forgettable. That one is broken down into a ziploc bag and stored. I took apart the Hyperspace Ring, but I still have Obi-Wan's blue JSF on display. I also had a few Exo-Force sets that looked good on the box art, but the final products were underwhelming.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby THX 1138 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:18 pm

I haven't had this very much with SW sets. I sort of regretted getting the Imperial Landing Craft and AT-AP, but I wasn't extremely disappointed with them. I wasn't all that impressed with the Spider Droid either, but it wasn't a bad set. Probably the set I regret getting the most recently is the Indiana Jones Temple Escape. I never found it to be all that exciting or interesting, and its minifigs weren't all that great.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby j15sw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Ya I've regretted getting the republic cruiser from episode one because i didn't find it had very good playability. other than that I've mostly been satisfied with all my SW lego purchases :)
j15sw

Postby RocketClone » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Regretted getting the Venator. :facepalm:
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby bharbeke » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 am

RocketClone wrote:Regretted getting the Venator. :facepalm:

Why do you have that regret? I've been on the fence about that one, and I'd love to hear from someone who owns it.
bharbeke

Postby Darth Caedus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Well, it's just so lackluster when compared to the ol' minifigure scale ISD: less internal space, less iconic areas inside the ship, about half the minifigs (with only the commandos and Palpatine really of note), and all for a higher price?! As dull as the hangar may be, the Home One's minifigs make it a standout compared to the Venator of a similar cost.
Darth Caedus

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars