Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

Postby Super33 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:15 pm

The Brain wrote:I just don't think that people who buy a set for minis the day it comes out have the right to complain when a month later they're available in a cheaper set. That's their loss, Lego didn't cheat them.

Do they have a right to "regret buying it"? If so, do they have a right to express that in this thread?
Super33

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:30 pm

The Brain wrote:Is the new AAT really that bad of a set? I kinda want it, because I missed the first one and don't want to lose the chance to get one again. I see a few people who have put this as their biggest regret set purchase.

Well, how bad is "that bad"? Is it "Twilight" bad? Is it "Gungan Sub" bad? No, it's not. But I can easily name 15 or 20 other sets on the market right now that are cooler than this set. I was with you, Brain, that I kinda bought it 'cause I missed the first one, and I just thought it was lame. . . maybe I should've just thrown the money at an original AAT at aftermarket. But this is just one man's opinion. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby gfxguy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:56 pm

7259 ARC-170 Starfighter

Bought it for my son, and it just falls apart when he tries to play with it. By contrast, the new (old) TIE Advanced is fantastic to play with. My stuff just goes on a shelf, but it's got to pass the kid test, too.
gfxguy

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 pm

I regret buying every Star Wars set I own. And I wish I'd refused the ones that were given as gifts.
Chief

Postby REX00X » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 pm

yes i regret buying the woookie cataman as i bought it online for lik £20 and i was charged £35 and the sets not tht gd anyway :( >:(
REX00X

Postby liquidcross » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Chief wrote:I regret buying every Star Wars set I own. And I wish I'd refused the ones that were given as gifts.

All of it, lies.
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:24 pm

I wish I hadn't dropped $30 on the Separatist Spider Droid last year. However, since I later got an AT-TE and an RGS on clearance, I suppose it balances out.

The 7127 AT-ST is crap. I know it was the only way to get Chewie without dropping the cash for the 7190 Falcon, but seriously, the set is a poor design. It doesn't stand up for anything and if I ever display it, the cursed thing will be leaning on a shelf or a support or a another set like a drunk coed. I'm tempted to get rid of it, but I have no idea how much it is or isn't worth these days.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby grumpy111 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:50 pm

I regretted buying #10195 Republic Dropship and AT-OT walker. It was an impulse buy. I already have two each of 7675 and 7676. So, after thinking about it, I sold the 10195 unopened and for a couple hundred more dollars I will go buy 10188.
grumpy111

Postby a red shirt » Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 pm

I can't say that there is any Star Wars sets that I own that I do not like. I research the heck out of them first though. Before I buy something, I make sure that it's my cup of tea. This is in the Star Wars forum so I know the topic is speaking of Star Wars sets, but if there are any sets I regret dropping so much on, its my moderate Bionicle collection...

RedShirt
Last edited by a red shirt on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a red shirt

Postby bigkid24 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:16 pm

I just bought a Twilight for $50 and I'm already starting to think that it was a waste. Crappy ship and I already have the minifigs from the AT-TE.
bigkid24

Postby Darth Caedus » Tue May 19, 2009 8:43 pm

With pretty much everything from the old Knight's Kingdom line. Also when I got the Solar Sailer for my bday, I felt like it was a ripoff....then I rationalized the awesomeness that is the Dookmaster and was content.
Darth Caedus

Postby LEGOscum » Wed May 20, 2009 7:07 am

I don't ever regret buying a set, but I do feel let down when I open the box to find that it's half empty. I'd much prefer it if LEGO reduced the size of their boxes in order to reduce packaging costs and save some wood pulp. As far as I can tell the over-sized boxes are for:

a) improved visibility on shelves so that they can use larger, more eye-catching graphics and to compete with Mega Blocks (and the like)

b) their existing shipping system uses cartons that can contain a formula of different box sizes and it would cost too much to revolutionise this

But I think a time will come when LEGO will have to look at the amount of packaging they use due to mounting costs and pressure from the green lobby. It strikes me as odd that they haven't already started making moves towards this because Denmark is quite an eco-friendly country.

I didn't have much time for The Twilight when I bought and built it, but now I've seen the TV series I don't think it is so bad. I even want to build a midi Jedi Starfighter to go in the hold now.
LEGOscum

Postby Morgan19 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:23 am

First, regarding Twilight... Oddly enough, I absolutely hated the ship before getting it (at the discounted $50), and it's now one of the few I still have assembled on my shelf.

I remember back when the original AT-AT came out, I was sick for a couple days and was wandering around Target to get some meds. I came across the set and on a whim purchased it, got home, built it, regretted "willy-nilly" spending $100, came on FBTB (before I was around much) to ask if anyone had ever had a regret experience with a big set like that and was able to return it opened (having never done so before), and was completely ripped a new one just for asking. Good times. :lol:

Other than that, I find I do have regret a lot, generally for sets in the $40-$50 range. I usually get over it, but there's still the nagging feeling that I should be putting more into savings instead of buying plastic toys, for example. But unfortunately when it happens, more often than not, the regret is because I'm looking at the parts or the finished model and it just doesn't feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Mandalorian Candidat » Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 am

LEGOscum wrote:I don't ever regret buying a set, but I do feel let down when I open the box to find that it's half empty. I'd much prefer it if LEGO reduced the size of their boxes in order to reduce packaging costs and save some wood pulp. As far as I can tell the over-sized boxes are for:

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like that.

Like most, I regret more the ones I let slip away like Target's Republic Fighter Tank or the original AAT.

My most recent regrets were the Magnaguard Fighter and the V-19. There's just no way I was going to drop that amount of coin on a set that's more or less a glorified flying cockpit (i.e., low minifig/price ratio on a ship that has a lot of extra detail but not a whole lot of playability--subjective I know, but so is this thread), so I bought them off ebay w/o the minifigs to save more than half the retail cost. I marvel at the engineering of the V-19 but I'd rather have something that looks nice with a simpler mechanism on a smaller scale. The only thing novel about the magnaguard set is the minifig, and now I think of them as glorified battle droids. My previous big dud was the Clone Turbo Tank and I'm not too hip on the AT-TE either. I just don't like the huge gaps in the fuselage.

The Indy Shanghai Chase is also ho hum. Not really a regret as getting the Willie, Tux Indy, and Short Round minifigs were nice but for $30, two small cars aren't that awe inspiring.
Mandalorian Candidat

Postby HugefanLEGO » Tue May 26, 2009 10:30 am

I resently bought 10188 Death Star Playset. I regret buying it because... Its so big! Its impossible to play with! It took me ages to build it! I got so bored of it not looking any different when I built it! I desided to have six months off building it! It says something 14-16, I think it should be 40-50! Nice figs though! especially protical droid!
HugefanLEGO

Postby lego-method » Thu May 28, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm a little disappointed with my Lego Clone wars sets (regrets buying)....they don't have that same feel as the Lego Star War Classics. The cartoon-look just made me regret buying these sets, something doesn't look right comparing big-eye Anakin Skywalker to classic Anakin Skywalker. I'm just a traditionalist that likes lego as the simple smiley faces....some of those Cartoon faces are just spooky-looking.
lego-method

Postby Dendo » Thu May 28, 2009 8:04 pm

I regret spending $110 on the solar sailor and the AAT to get Count Dooku and Yoda just to see the magnet set come out a week later for $14. Other than that, I usually regret just about every set that is over $20 for about ten minutes...
Dendo

Postby drfeelgood » Sun May 31, 2009 3:44 am

I spose i regret buying all the old sets such as the a-wing, b-wing, y-wing and vader tie, slave one on ebay for over inflated prices, only for 3 years later for them to be re-issued and looking much much better, then haveing to sell the olds ones to make way for the new :lol:
drfeelgood

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sun May 31, 2009 9:12 am

Usually when I buy a set I later regret, I end up selling it on ebay. So far I’ve had four lego Star Wars sets I’ve sold (one I actually regret selling) and two I’ve recently bought which I have some doubts about.

One which some people may find hard to believe is the Republic Gun Ship. It’s a good design but my problem with it is when ever I see a few loose bricks I try to push them back in to place; mainly the floor part of where the troops are stationed. The whole thing breaks apart when I do and I’ve then got to put the whole gorram thing back together again.

The other one is the Twilight. The only reason I bought it was because it went on sale (50% off). For that I don’t think I should be feeling all that bad about it. It’s big and sturdy, and I added a floor for the four Clone Troopers I also added to it. But as many people know’ it’s a hassle to properly hold it and the winch and tow-cable at the back I really hate.

Interesting story though when buying the Twilight. The actual UK price is £68.49, so when it went on sale it dropped to £34.99 or something. However I was already watching one that was being auctioned on ebay at a starting price of £15. Second-hand but complete with its box. I would have gotten one second-hand if it was cheaper than the sale price.
When the auction ended the final bid was £39. However I had already bought it for the sale price of £35 when the bid was at £25, meaning I got the new set £4 cheaper than what I would have gotten the used one for. But the big difference in the price as always was the postage cost.
Where as I only had to pay roughly over £4 for postage which brought the total price to £39, the guy who was auctioning it on ebay had asked for £10 for postage. This would have meant paying £49 or more, not to mention he only lived like 24 miles away from me.
Boyfromvalley

Postby Captain Typo » Sun May 31, 2009 7:16 pm

Until very recently, I always regretted buying/receiving non-Star Wars-related sets. In fact, the only reason I don't mind it now is because I've realized that for the most part, once you have enough of them, original and other non-SW licensed themes can make for some decent additions to one's collection if you collect enough of them (non-SW sets). Well, okay, soccer doesn't really mesh as well, and you can take that from me. ;)
"Yippie-ki-yay, my friend."

-John McLane, Die Hard With a Vengeance- The TV Edit
Captain Typo

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars