Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Has anyone purchase a LEGO set than regret it for buying it?

Postby twentythree » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:52 am

The four 7781 Batman MISB sets that are collecting dust in my closet.(j/k) I really have them, but not regretting it. ;)

I can't say that there is any regret in my purchases but most of my Prequel sets are probably going to be sold/traded now that the Clone Wars sets have ended my efforts to be a completionist. :) Their creepy faces have officially stopped the madness that was my ever-expanding collection. :shock: I kept everything MISB so that should make them an excellent investment. :D Now, I can get something that better suits me without the guilt that would have come with having to spend more money on Lego. XD I'd have to say that the only regrets were the sets that didn't get bought (original RGS/AT-TE)
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby RebelScumPaul » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:38 pm

There was a day not to long ago when the lego line was almost all bad. Back in the Jack Stone days. Many of the sets were poorly designed and had low part counts. Now a days there is so much stuff I want I can't keep up. I think TLC has learned a lot about it's customer in the last 4 years. Most importantly we want to build army's. Thanks for the mini fig sets Lego!
RebelScumPaul

Postby Flynn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 pm

twentythree wrote:The four 7781 Batman MISB sets that are collecting dust in my closet.(j/k) I really have them, but not regretting it. ;)

Oh, you are a cruel, cruel person...

As far as regrets go, my only one would be having bought the AT-ST re-release instead of the TIE Interceptor. Many people know my hatred for that danged set, and to think that I passed up the Interceptor for that...Grrrr....

I think, though, my biggest regret concerning LEGO would be not buying a single Batman set. I must have taken a blow on the head not to pick them up because of their sheer awesomeness and Burton references (I'm looking at you, Batplane), and now it's worse because there's no way I'm paying triple the MSRP price for the Batmobile. Oh, well, at least I can still buy the UCS Batmobile for 50 bucks, that's some relief, at least.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby twentythree » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 am

RebelScumPaul wrote:There was a day not to long ago when the lego line was almost all bad. Back in the Jack Stone days. Many of the sets were poorly designed and had low part counts. Now a days there is so much stuff I want I can't keep up. I think TLC has learned a lot about it's customer in the last 4 years. Most importantly we want to build army's. Thanks for the mini fig sets Lego!

I agree. Up until last year, all I collected was Star Wars Lego. Now, I have most of the Creator's sets (minus the buildings because of shelfspace), a garbage truck, all of the original Indy sets, and am looking to get the 6752 firetruck and the 7639 camper when the become available.
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby ktonlai » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:19 pm

6206 TIE Interceptor

boring build, boring pieces, repetitive pieces, useless pieces. a black stormtrooper pilot. Not much in the playability factor either, just an opening cockpit.

The kicker?

They sold so badly that they went on clearance for $7 a piece. I bought it at regular price for 30. FML
ktonlai

Postby RoflWafls » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:58 am

Cloud City, why did I buy that stupid thing! I sold it to my neighbor for 10 bucks......

Kidding ;)

I've been collecting Star Wars legos since 1999 (I was 5 back then :) ), and the only one I regret buying is General Grievous Chase. Sure, Grievous is cool, but is he really worth the 20 bucks?
RoflWafls

Postby donneyboy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 am

count dooku's solar sailor, I only got it for the dooku figure, and I paid 60 dollars for 300 some odd pieces, and now he is in a magnet set for $15.
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Postby GregHyland » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:58 am

No real regrets. I'm a Star Wars completist, so I want all the sets. I did think I'd ignore Clone Wars, and only buy the sets with vehicles that are in movies, but because I'm doing so much Clone Wars related work, I ended up getting a lot of the sets, and now the completist bug has me hooked on Clone Wars!

There might have been themes I widh I never collected, but nothing comes to mind right now. I could probably have done without any of the train stuff I bought...

The one thing that I feel regret over is buying so many Rebel Scout Speeders. Really, do I need so many Rebel troopers? Stormtroopers, sure, it's good to have LOTS of them, but I wish I bought more Imperial Dropships when I bought Rebvel Scout Speeders. I kept buyuing things in equal amounts! I'm making sue I don't do that witht he Clone Wars Clones and the Assasin Droids (only need one set of Assassin droids!).
Greg Hyland
"You'll thank me when you share my politics"
http://www.lethargiclad.com
GregHyland

Postby Darthboba281 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:08 pm

I kinda regret buying the MTT of 07, but how else could I get 20 Battle Droids at once??? :S
Darthboba281

Postby starstreak » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:14 pm

That would be the Twilight. At $89 it wasn't worth it. At the $50 or whatever it went for recently, then not too bad.
starstreak

Postby Robzula » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:56 pm

I haven't regretted buying a set, but I have regretted NOT buying a set. That little while ago when the Twilight went half price, I had JUST blown my paycheck (on other sets) when I read the announcement. I had my heart set on buying it, but the day I cashed my next check, the price went back to full.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Turkguy19 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:35 am

The way I see it is the only reason you should regret buying a LEGO set is if you didn't really want to spend the money in the first place. LEGO is a wonderful thing in the fact that you can tear it apart, and build something else with the parts. So, basically any set I buy is great, because, if anything, it is adding to my parts collection, and that is always a good thing.
Turkguy19

Postby legofactory » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:59 am

Yes i agree. But I generally prefer to buy LEGO sets on sale. But with the new magnet sets, it makes my set not worth as much money. Mace windu, count dooku, and yoda all comes from $50+ sets. And the count dooku solar sailer is limited edition. The only really special thing is just count dooku. But now hes in a magnet set, theres nothing special about this set that doesn't even have "sails" on it.
legofactory

Postby banthafodder » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:25 pm

I agree with Turkguy 19. If you're buying these sets for the value of the minifig and whine when they come out in a cheaper set then you probably bought beanie babies hoping to make a fortune only to find out that in a few years they were worthless. Love the brick and collect because you enjoy it not because there's a financial future in it.
banthafodder

Postby legofactory » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:33 pm

Well, we just want the figure basically. The set is pointless as it doesn't have much potential. Each limited edition set features special minifigures that made the set so high in value. i.e separatist spider droid (commander fox), its suppose to be retail at $19.99 USD, but because of commander fox, its $29.99 USD.

Also, pricing is really important. We discuss about the pricing of LEGO sets because its the value of how much the set really should be. i.e. Would you pay $100 for a clone trooper battle pack? I would say no. We would all still want the set. But the cost may be too high for us. Thats why we make a point out of it. Its not because we "whine" about the set.
Would you be anooyed when you purchase a set JUST for the minifigure and then realize the magnets with the figures came out at a cheaper price?
legofactory

Postby The Brain » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:08 pm

@legofactory: You guys shouldn't buy a set for minifigures then complain because Lego released a magnet set with them. Learn the amazing virtue of patience...

I'd have to say I regret getting some sets only because I would have rather spent the money on ones that are more recent. For example, Anakin's Podracer--which I have 3 of (bought one, got another as a gift for a birthday, then had a relative buy me the Mos Espa Podrace)--isn't a very interesting set IMHO. I would have rather kept the $20 bucks from when I spent it and bought a couple more battle packs. Can't complain now though, as that was years ago.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Lost_Viking » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:33 pm

7664 tie crawler
Lost_Viking

Postby darth jason » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:25 am

Well you live and you learn with Lego I guess. I think a bunch of you all are being a bit to critical of people not knowing that the magnet sets are actual figures and not props and expressing their woe's of regret. I just found out recently myself on the FBTB main page and I've been buying sets for 2 years or so now. If someone hadnt have asked the question in a forum a lot of folks would have never known that these are actual figures.

I personally don't regret buying the solar sailer or the AAT because I would have bought them both regardless, what I bugs me is not having all my options in front of me at the time of purchace to make a more informed decision. The only problem with the "be patient" argument is the fact that if you dont know these magnets are playable mini figures all the patience in the world is not going to do you any good. Its all fine and dandy if your waiting for a set to go on sale,then patience is truly a virtue. There are some people here that have been buying star wars lego's for years and there are some who bought their first set(s) recently.
darth jason

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:04 pm

In response to other's "Wait it out and buy the minifigs later" posts, I'd just like to clarify that in my own case, I regretted buying the Solar Sailer and AAT sets because I just felt they were lame sets, that's all. The minifigs (Dooku and Yoda, respectively) were obviously a draw for me, but my disappointment stems from the fact that the sets were not up to their potential IMO and is not based in the fact that the minifigs later came in a magnet set.

On the bright side, I guess I can agree with Turkguy in that any set you buy is ultimately an investment in your general collection, so if nothing else you at least get a bucket of pieces to build other stuff with (which is the whole point of LEGO bricks anyway, right?).
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby The Brain » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm not attacking people who buy sets for minis--I do it sometimes to. I just don't think that people who buy a set for minis the day it comes out have the right to complain when a month later they're available in a cheaper set. That's their loss, Lego didn't cheat them. (No MrCR, I'm not directing this at you. ;) )

Is the new AAT really that bad of a set? I kinda want it, because I missed the first one and don't want to lose the chance to get one again. I see a few people who have put this as their biggest regret set purchase.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars