Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Best time to buy lego? Certain deals?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Best time to buy lego? Certain deals?

Postby dljbae » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey there, new to the board.

I got hooked back into lego after getting the super star destroyer for my birthday from the gf and my friends. I was wondering when the best time or what are the best deals to look out for since most of the sets I'm interested in are the more expensive UCS star wars sets.

For example, I heard there are Toys r us, buy one get one half off deals? Are those the best and when do they usually happen?

Should I wait for black Fridays?

Does shop online for Lego ever have sales?

Or does amazon provide the best overall deals year round?

Mainly, I'm looking for the Imperial shuttle (best price I saw was $199) and the death star 2008 version (best price 354.99), but want to kno if there are better prices for these ones.
dljbae

Re: Best time to buy lego? Certain deals?

Postby Flynn » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:09 am

dljbae wrote:For example, I heard there are Toys r us, buy one get one half off deals? Are those the best and when do they usually happen?

To my knowledge, they don't happen too often and when they do they usually exclude stuff like Star Wars. You then have to deal with TrU's markups and they're just such a lousy store anyways that I'd just avoid them. Plus, I don't believe they ever stock UCS sets.

Should I wait for black Fridays?

Usually LEGO only discounts one set for Black Friday, and it's mostly the stores that have a smaller selection of LEGOs that have the really great discounts (Barnes and Noble, for example, had a 50% off all construction toys last year)

Does shop online for Lego ever have sales?

Yes. There's a "Sales and Deals" tab on their shop page.

Or does amazon provide the best overall deals year round?

I'm not the expert on this one, but to my recollection discounts don't happen often, but when they do they're great. I think it's more often the System stuff, though, not UCS.

Mainly, I'm looking for the Imperial shuttle (best price I saw was $199) and the death star 2008 version (best price 354.99), but want to kno if there are better prices for these ones.

Bricklink.com is generally the go-to place for buying LEGOs online (especially sets that are out of circulation). Looking at the individual entries for the sets you listed, though, those do seem to be the best prices right now.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:29 am

Use sites like this one or the other main forums for other AFOLs noting deals, or Brickset or Brickbadger to track prices of all Lego sets or ZeeZaw or Camelcamelcamel to track the prices of particular items on Amazon. You can set your target price and you'll get an email if the Amazon price matches it.

In the UK, you can also use cashback sites like Quidco to get cashback (5%) from Lego Shop@Home. Not sure about other countries.

Oh and you can also get VIP points via Shop@Home which helps too.

I also wait for sales in stores on the high street. 20% off is my threshold and I've yet to buy a set at full retail in the last 3 or 4 years.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby dljbae » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:14 am

Thx for the info guys... I just dont wanna "overpay" for sth. I hate buying sth and then seeing a crazy deal later on.

New to the lego starwars world, and boy did i miss out on a lot! lol

Thx again
dljbae

Postby Sinestro00 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:28 am

I cruise the Wal-Mart toy clearance isle often and find good deals. Perhaps not only Star Wars sets though. I recently picked up Queen Anne's Revenge (the PotC set) for $40. One of the larger "Friends" sets was marked down 50% (should have picked it up for my daughter). A friend of mine got Slave 1 for a similar mark-down around Christmas time. I hit 3-4 stores within 30 miles of my house, but none had any left. I also find that some W-M will have a set on clearance while others will not. YMMV...
You just better start sniffin’ your own rank subjugation Jack cause it’s just you against your tattered libido, the bank and the mortician forever man, and it wouldn’t be luck if you could get out of life alive.
Sinestro00

Postby deco_droid » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 am

yah, walmart is really hit or miss. i have gotten some great clearance deals there in the past, but i just don't have time to routinely go around all the stores in town, especially when pretty much any set you want, you can get for 30% off at amazon if you are patient. as for tru, i have their discount rewards and use it to buy the exclusives only they carry. have fun with your addiction!
deco_droid

Postby naugem » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 am

I have the impression that aside from clearance sales, the best deals happen in November-December before christmas.
Last year BN had a few 50% sales, ToysRUs had sales that included Star Wars sets, yoyo had a 40% sale, etc...
naugem

Postby SuperDave » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:37 am

The restock sales can be a good time to shop as well (at least in the US). This is when stores clear out inventory to replace it with newer inventory. These aren't hard dates and vary from store to store, but they're often around December 26-mid-January and mid-May to mid-June. Of course, mid-November to mid-December can carry some sales, but you have to be really quick and really diligent to score well. Also keep an eye out for discontinued sets that hit clearance- I don't see it often with Star Wars, but every so often an old set will turn up on a shelf heavily discounted (and possibly even no longer included in the store's system, at which point you'll have the chance to negotiate with a store employee)- and often lonely and in the wrong area. ;-) Good luck!
SuperDave

Postby daevster » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:18 am

I don't generally do my LEGO shopping at places like Toysrus, Target, etc.... I always shop at Legoland which usually has about everything with no markup, and I get 10% off each purchase over $10 because I am a pass-holder. But this would only help people living near Legoland with passes...
http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/83288
http://www.youtube.com/user/daevster

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome..." -Walter Elias Disney
daevster

Postby pacific493 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 pm

If you're looking to buy Star Wars sets directly from Lego S@H (Shop at Home), there are a few times of year that it is best to look. On May 4 and Black Friday, S@H tends to have the best deals on certain sets (generally around 20%-25% off), but this only applies to certain sets. On 12/26, S@H generally discounts sets that are being retired. Two years ago, this sale covered a lot of sets and the discounts were awesome (50% across the board). Last year, the sale was not as broad and not as deep, so this is a bit hit or miss. Also, for the whole month of October, S@H generally gives out double VIP points so you end up getting 10% of your purchase price to spend on additional sets.

During November and December, there are generally good online bargains through Target and Amazon, but they are hit or miss and you have to move very quickly to get them.
pacific493

Postby SpitFyre » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:03 am

Amazon has Jabba's Palace for $102.25, if anyone is interested!
Link: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Ja ... pd_sim_t_2
SpitFyre

Postby Draykov » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 am

Hail Space!
Draykov

Return to Star Wars