Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New Info on LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

Postby HothTrooper » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:24 pm

The cover image was definitely gone Saturday. It must have been a glitch on Amazon's part.
HothTrooper

Postby LEGOscum » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:44 am

The cover hasn't been finalized yet.

Due to necessity I have to out myself - I am one of the writers working on this, as well as the photographer. Some of you might have probably guessed this already.

I need your help. I need to photograph the 2009 Toy Fair Vader-In-A-Box and I don't have one. Nor does LEGO

Does anyone know of one that is for sale? I've checked eBay and Bricklink and there aren't any up.
LEGOscum

Postby bigospedros » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:57 am

There's some in the FBTB feature on the Toy Fair ...

http://www.fbtb.net/features/toy-fair-2009/

So I assume one of the staff here has one?!
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:51 am

I'm pretty late in the game on this but I'm very excited about this book, and I'd love for scans of some sort to be posted because I forsee it being a while before it reaches our fair shores here in Singapore. I'd love to point to the images going "I have this" and "I have that", then when I say "I don't have this" begin to whine and throw a tantrum, like a particular Legoboy1234567... :lol: I really enjoy DK's visual dictionaries so I am looking forward to owning or at least reading this one.
Jedd the Jedi

Postby Master Fetty » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:07 am

Hmmm... If the authors know of places such as this, is it possible FBTB has got a mention?

I think this book is a real recognition of LEGO Star Wars and how it can prove integral to Star Wars' longivity - I was a LEGO fan before Star Wars and without it probably would never have fully got into it.
Master Fetty

Postby LEGOscum » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:07 am

Master Fetty wrote:Hmmm... If the authors know of places such as this, is it possible FBTB has got a mention?

That's funny. I was a member here before I joined the LSWVD team. I've been part of the LEGO and Star Wars collecting communities for over 30 years so it's not like I got my FBTB membership so I could lurk and post the occasional plea for help!

:D
LEGOscum

Postby onions » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 pm

i had a suspicion you were involved.

just curious how did you become a member of the team?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby LEGOscum » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 am

I've been covering LEGO for the Star Wars Insider for a couple of years and have built up a good relationship with LEGO (hence the trip to Billund in February). Being able to write for the Insider means I'm on the LFL approved authors list, so I got recommended to DK by LFL. Also I live in the UK so I can work directly with the publishers.
LEGOscum

Postby Andi » Sun May 10, 2009 9:44 am

Amazon wrote me right now that the release date is delayed.
Jeremy, do you know more details why it is released later?
It will be released, that's certain? (I had there another book pre-ordered a few years ago which changed release dates several times, and in the end it never got released)
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby HothTrooper » Sun May 10, 2009 10:45 am

Just for the sake of clarity, the delayed release Andi mentioned is October 5 now rather than September 21 according to Amazon.
HothTrooper

Postby LEGOscum » Sun May 10, 2009 11:12 am

Andi wrote:Amazon wrote me right now that the release date is delayed.
Jeremy, do you know more details why it is released later?

Quite possibly Amazon got the dates wrong. A couple of weeks ago I had a short exchange with my editors about the difference in US and UK dates and it turned out there were a couple of different editions, including one for libraries that didn't have the minifig on it (which makes sense). Here's what I posted in the Rebelscum LEGO thread:

From Simon, the managing editor/chief author:

"The regular trade edition with minifigure publishes in Oct. (Don’t know why it is listed as Sept- maybe they want to release a few days earlier, in late Sept?)

The other edition is the Library Edition, which is a US thing: they want a version without the minifigure for sales to libraries. It’ll be exactly the same book in every other respect though, and will publish in Oct also."

Elly, the book's editor, adds further detail about the mystery/unpriced book:

"The reason why two trade editions appear on amazon.com is because the $14.95 one is the US edition and the one with no price (dated Oct. 1) is the UK edition. On amazon.co.uk the UK edition is listed as costing £16.99."

As for the actual change in release date, it's probably because Amazon has finally caught up with the fact the book comes out a couple of weeks later, or perhaps someone has vetoed their earlier release date because of the minifig being sold on the secondary market (there is a real fear that books will get ripped open in the stores so that people can get free minifigs to sell on eBay).
LEGOscum

Postby Andi » Sun May 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks for clearing this up, Jeremy :)
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby jocktheglide » Tue May 12, 2009 1:25 pm

thx for the heads up on the minifig bought the book just for that :lol:
jocktheglide

Postby Brainslugged » Thu May 14, 2009 9:44 am

Medal Luke is OK I guess, but it would be nice if they created a totally new figure with a new head mold - something that would be unlikely to ever need to turn up in another set. Garinden maybe? Or a cool new alien jedi? Ordered the book anyway.
Brainslugged

Postby turkishvan2 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Aw, man.I already placed a preorder and now wait even longer. :(
turkishvan2

Postby Joedward » Thu May 14, 2009 6:02 pm

What's the big deal with the wait of a few extra days? You ordered it already, you have to wait several months as it is, chances are it might arrive a day or two before it's in the shops.
I don't see the big problem.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Morgan19 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Brainslugged wrote:Medal Luke is OK I guess, but it would be nice if they created a totally new figure with a new head mold - something that would be unlikely to ever need to turn up in another set. Garinden maybe? Or a cool new alien jedi? Ordered the book anyway.

Maybe I missed it, but where has the final figure even been revealed? Everything I've seen so far has just been that preliminary image.

m19
Morgan19

Postby yankeeken » Thu May 14, 2009 7:14 pm

No finalized figure picture has been released. Some people have just convinced themselves that it is going to be a Medal Luke despite the fact that there is no evidence to support their claim.
yankeeken

Postby jocktheglide » Thu May 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Morgan19 wrote:
Brainslugged wrote:Medal Luke is OK I guess, but it would be nice if they created a totally new figure with a new head mold - something that would be unlikely to ever need to turn up in another set. Garinden maybe? Or a cool new alien jedi? Ordered the book anyway.

Maybe I missed it, but where has the final figure even been revealed? Everything I've seen so far has just been that preliminary image.

m19

im still in question now are we gonna get a special figure in the U.S? so there are two types of book one with no figure and one with figure?
jocktheglide

Postby Bulls_Eye » Thu May 14, 2009 8:08 pm

jocktheglide wrote:im still in question now are we gonna get a special figure in the U.S? so there are two types of book one with no figure and one with figure?

You get the one without the figure by getting to the bookstore after someone else has already stolen it from one of the books. Seriously though, it's supposed to just be for libraries, and I don't think it will even be available to the public.
Bulls_Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars