Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Midi-scale sets

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Midi-scale sets

Postby CaptainFordo » Mon May 14, 2012 3:24 am

I was reading the midi scale Star Destroyer review and wanted to comment, but also didn't want to necro-post, so I thought I'd start a discussion topic.

Basically I wanted to know if there was ever any comment on the success/lack thereof of the midi-scale sets, since they're exactly the kind of sets that would appeal to me (recently bought a midi-falcon). THe minifig scale sets are too expensive and large IMO, and the mini sets, while neat, don't give the fun of building properly.

Did Lego ever say if they planned to ever do more midi-ships or anything?
CaptainFordo

Re: Midi-scale sets

Postby sparkart » Tue May 15, 2012 8:21 am

The cult of the minifig has ensured that all licensed sets will include a minifig, e.g. the giant new UCS R2-D2 figure even includes a minifig. As if the awesomeness of a big R2 wasn't enough!

Any why should LEGO go to the trouble of designing and assembling larger midi-scale models, if all you need to sell a set is to include a minifig and a passable mini model (The Planets)? :(

I loved the midi-scale line, too, and was bumed to see it go. They were a great, "hand-sized" models that begged to be picked up and swooshed, and had some nice detail. The mini sets are nifty, but yeah, they're not engaging builds for older kids. It's too bad it didn't last longer than a couple of sets.
sparkart

Postby CaptainFordo » Tue May 15, 2012 9:27 am

sparkart wrote:The cult of the minifig has ensured that all licensed sets will include a minifig, e.g. the giant new UCS R2-D2 figure even includes a minifig. As if the awesomeness of a big R2 wasn't enough!

Any why should LEGO go to the trouble of designing and assembling larger midi-scale models, if all you need to sell a set is to include a minifig and a passable mini model (The Planets)? :(

I loved the midi-scale line, too, and was bumed to see it go. They were a great, "hand-sized" models that begged to be picked up and swooshed, and had some nice detail. The mini sets are nifty, but yeah, they're not engaging builds for older kids. It's too bad it didn't last longer than a couple of sets.

It's bugged me a while since it seems that mid-scale has dropped off even in normal toylines. I mean there used to be micromachines action fleet, which were decent sized Star Wars ships, for kids (like moi) who couldn't afford the big ones. They were not only affordable, but more fun too. Now they just have the titanium line (if that's even still around) which, while decent, features MUCH smaller models and less play value. They are models, not toys really.

It's such a shame =/

I have to say though, hats off to lego for their minifugres. For better or worse they have encapsulated all generations, the minifig subline is a great idea, because it's at that golden price point where even teenagers and people in their 20's will buy them just for the nostalgia/novelty factor.
CaptainFordo

Postby dWhisper » Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 pm

They were dropped because they didn't sell, simple as that. Yes, the minifig is king in the LEGO world, and it has been for years. As an adult collector, I hate it, but in looking at what kids want, it makes perfect sense. The midi line was expensive, couldn't be used easily with other sets, and was made for display. Yet it was launched alongside the normal playsets, and for as much as a much larger set. They had pretty much zero chance to succeed.

Luckily, there is a solution. It turns out that those LEGO parts fit together, and you can build whatever you want in the scale you like. Just have to go get some bricks and apply a bit of creativity.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby GrayMattR » Wed May 16, 2012 4:02 pm

dWhisper wrote:Luckily, there is a solution. It turns out that those LEGO parts fit together, and you can build whatever you want in the scale you like. Just have to go get some bricks and apply a bit of creativity.
My nomination for quote of the year!

I liked the midi scale as well and hoped they would plop out an X-Wing on store shelves.
GrayMattR

Postby Robzula » Thu May 17, 2012 5:08 am

GrayMattR wrote:
dWhisper wrote:Luckily, there is a solution. It turns out that those LEGO parts fit together, and you can build whatever you want in the scale you like. Just have to go get some bricks and apply a bit of creativity.
My nomination for quote of the year!

I'm not so fond of this sentimentality. It's like saying "Why buy a painting when you can just paint one of your own?"
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 am

That would only be true if you could actually BUY said painting. In this case you can't, but luckily dWhisper has come up with a solution!

Clever girl.
buriedbybricks

Postby dWhisper » Fri May 18, 2012 7:33 am

I feel LEGO is a lot more akin to "my grocery store doesn't carry this particular flavor of cookie that I like." The option is always there to go out, find a recipe, and get the ingredients to make them. No one is saying paint the Mona Lisa here, but most anyone can whip up some chocolate chip cookies with the right ingredients, basic reading and measuring skills, and just enough alcohol in you to try it but not so much that you'll burn down your house.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby theone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:12 am

no because it is hard to replicate the genius of a painting, i'm not saying lego isn't genius but it is easer than painting
theone

Return to Star Wars