Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Additions to Star Wars Miniland at LEGOLAND California and an Update

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

New Additions to Star Wars Miniland at LEGOLAND California and an Update

Postby Staff » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:46 am

Sandcrawler 2

The Opee Sea Killer isn't the only thing that's new at miniland at LEGOLAND California. And what's with the name "Opee Sea Killer" anyway? Does it kill the Opee Sea? Or is it an Opee that happens to kill seas? That doesn't make any sense. That would be like demolishing the house you live in while living in it.

ANYWAYS, like I was saying, the Opee Sea Killer isn't the only new thing at Star Wars Miniland making it's debut this weekend. There is also this absolutely gorgeous miniland-scale Sandcrawler designed and built by Master Model Builder Erik Varszegi. The model has over 15,000 elements and weighs over 50 lbs. Rob Hendrix of Lifelites lent his modding expertise to light it up. From Rob:

The Sandcrawler features a custom built lighting controller with 20 warm white colored LEDs, 1 multicolored flashing LED, and 2 Microchip controlled red flashing LEDs. The multicolored LED is in the cabin console and the red flashing LEDs are near the crane bay doors.
Unrelated to the lighting effects, I especially appreciate Erik Varzsegi's craftsmanship on the back of the Sandcrawler. He takes "nice piece usage" to the next level

More eye candy:

Sandcrawler 1 Sandcrawler 5 Sandcrawler 4 Sandcrawler 3
Sandcrawler 6 Sandcrawler 9 Sandcrawler 8 Sandcrawler 7

There are two more models debuting this weekend. The Ion cannon on the Hoth layout is all new, and "a towering Crystal City building in Christophsis." There's no picture of the tower, but the Ion cannon is below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/7024539875/in/photostream

And lastly, I sent an email out to everyone who's volunteered for the weekend. If you're bringing a model in person and haven't heard from me any details on how to set up, email me immediately and I'll get back to you.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/03/28/new-additions-to-star-wars-miniland-at-legoland-california-and-an-update/
Staff

Re: New Additions to Star Wars Miniland at LEGOLAND Californ

Postby Commander Cody » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:08 am

Awseome!
Actually, my brother (IncrediBoy) sister (Genova14) and I saw the huge sandcrawler when it was "on tour" in my town of Atascadero on 3/3/12 It is awesome! I even spoke with the Master Model Builder who made it. :D

Apparently LEGOLAND and the Galaxy Theater was doing a promotion. LEGO displayed there goodies and was giving away LEGOLAND tickets to those watched TPM and answered trivia questions. The local radio staion was giving away MINI X-Wings sets. (GOT ONE! XD)

There was a decent show of models. They brought other models like the Naboo fighter a Gungan shield generatr carrier and some STAPS. There were also four 3 foot high minifigures: Han Leia Wicket and Boba. But the centerpiece was the Darth Maul sculpture.

I took some photos, if I can post them on FBTB can someone tell me how? Thanks.

LEGOLAND to the theater is approximently 300 miles (or 5.25 hour drive)
Commander Cody

Re: New Additions to Star Wars Miniland at LEGOLAND Californ

Postby Robzula » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote=staff]And what's with the name "Opee Sea Killer" anyway? Does it kill the Opee Sea? Or is it an Opee that happens to kill seas? That doesn't make any sense.

It's a killer... from the Opee Sea.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Return to Star Wars