Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

To See, Or Not To See - Episode I in 3-D

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: To See, Or Not To See - Episode I in 3-D

Postby nebraska » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm

The_Chosen_1 wrote:I debate whether people who consistently trash on the Star Wars prequels and/or George himself are actually fans.

I guess I'm not a fan because I don't bow down to George and his BFF Rick. :roll:

Don’t go see Episode 1 3D because it’s the same crappy movie he made in 1999 and instead use the money to buy more Lego.
nebraska

Postby Bill the Builer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

I grew up with the OT, but I love the PT just as much. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one, sometimes for the other. So I like all 6 films pretty much equally.

Star Wars was made to be seen at the movies, so now that it's showing again, I went to see it. I didn't care if it was in 3D or not. George himself said he didn't want a 3D movie where things come flying at you, but rather where the background was put into the background leaving the focus on the main action, and that's what we got.

Is the 3D version worlds better? Not really, but it does make the viewing experience a little bit more impressive. The movie hasn't changed much (except for CG-Yoda), so if you like watching Star Wars on the big screen, this is your chance again.

I saw it, I enjoyed it, and I'll watch the next 5 episodes as well. I'm a Star Wars fan.
Bill the Builer

Postby Admiral Ackie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:29 pm

I saw Ep 1, and I was pretty excited about it since this was to be my first 3-D movie. I want to be positive about my experience. I really enjoyed the pod race scene. I felt that the 3-D aspect of this portion of the movie really added a little something to this particular the scene. I really can't say much about the rest of the movie. Even thought I am not big fan of the first movie, as I feel it's at times like going to denist. You just have to grin and bear it and hopefully it won't be too painful. Although I can't wait to see what Ep 2 has to offer, especially the chase with Obi Won, Anakin, and Zam Wesell. Should be well worth the wait :)
Admiral Ackie

Postby RancorRider8 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm going to watch 'em all. What can I say? I'm a serious fan!
Rancors are neither cuddly, nor cute. But it's one heck of a riding experience!
(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
RancorRider8

Postby Inzane » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Bill the Builer wrote:I grew up with the OT, but I love the PT just as much.
... I like all 6 films pretty much equally.

:shock:

Hard to fathom.
Inzane

Postby RancorRider8 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Why? It's the same for me!
Rancors are neither cuddly, nor cute. But it's one heck of a riding experience!
(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
RancorRider8

Postby darthius » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Inzane wrote:
Bill the Builer wrote:I grew up with the OT, but I love the PT just as much.
... I like all 6 films pretty much equally.

:shock:

Hard to fathom.

I must be in the minority because I enjoy the PT a lot more than the OT. Don't get me wrong, I love all the SW movies (including the CW animated series) but if I were asked to choose I'd choose the PT. Just a personal preference.

In all honesty I don't understand the hatred that the OT fans display toward the PT films.
darthius

Postby Bill the Builer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:02 am

darthius wrote:In all honesty I don't understand the hatred that the OT fans display toward the PT films.

It's all very psychological. Unless you were traumatized by bad experiences, what you experienced as a kid will always leave a more pleasurable memory. School, friends, cartoons, the neighborhood, the old car, the dog - everything was nicer as a kid, or at least that's what our brain tells us. No one can have a childhood pet or toy replaced and claim it was better than what we had before. And that's a good thing, the brain needs that for healthy growth.

If TPM was released in 1977, and let's say using the technology available back then, it would most likely have the same affect as ANH. It's a matter of the right movie at the right time. It's forseeable that 90% of the now-generation will like what came came out back then better.

Kids growing up in these times will like the PT better. I see it already. In 20 years, they'll remember the Clone Wars and Darth Maul and Jar Jar much more favorably than Luke Skywalker and Han Solo because that's what they grew up with.

If die-hard fans want to stick to the OT as the only movie worth watching, fine by me. That's their choice. But Star Wars was made mainly for a younger audience. To say the newer stuff sucks is liking going to a 5 year old kid and saying: Your teddy bear is crap, mine was much better when I was a kid.
Bill the Builer

Postby Blacknight » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:31 am

I think it's perfectly all right for Lucas to have dedicated one of his Star Wars movies to the kids. Parents can take their young kids to TPM and introduce them for the first time to Star Wars without the heavy violence or disturbing scenes found in some of the other movies.It's nice (from a certain point of view) that one of the trilogy movies is basically G-rated.

I guess everyone just wishes that didn't also mean getting stuck with such a bad saturday morning cartoon plot, dialogue and characters. Maybe if it hadn't been marketed so relentlessly as the rebirth of Star Wars on the big screen, adults wouldn't have been so crushed by what they saw. Perhaps TPM should have been a standalone, pre-prequel trilogy installment with a marketing theme that this one is more for the kids, starring child Anakin. Then, Lucas could have had three "real" prequel films dedicated to older Anakin which would've allowed for a more fleshed out character arc and turn to the dark side, and more time for the Clone Wars proper on the big screen, rather than everything being so rushed in RotS.
Blacknight

Postby Bill the Builer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:46 am

I agree. The Trilogy could have consisted of the content of Episode 2 & 3 stretched over 3 Films. Episode 1 wasn't that necessary, but that was the road taken.

But when it comes to the pace of a plot, Episode 1 is, imoh, one of the best. When I first watched it, I was constantly wondering what would happen next. The next two episodes had many scenes where I was hoping something else would happen. I did enjoy them, but Episode 1 has a charm of its own. We learn of midichlorians, we get to know Qui Gonn and Darth Maul, We learn of the rule of two, we see awesome podraces, we see Palpatine gain power. Most of that is fundamental to Star Wars!
Last edited by Bill the Builer on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill the Builer

Postby crazybirdman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:47 am

Bill the Builer wrote:If TPM was released in 1977, and let's say using the technology available back then, it would most likely have the same affect as ANH. It's a matter of the right movie at the right time. It's forseeable that 90% of the now-generation will like what came came out back then better.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it's true in this case. Mostly because I think that the Phantom Menace is a horrible introduction into the Star Wars universe. Just compare the opening crawls of EP1 & EP4. EP4 starts with a cool battle. EP1 starts with attempted negotiations. I can think of plenty of movies/remakes on both sides of the argument. I don't know anyone, even kids, that prefer the Godzilla remake. And most people (no matter their age) would say that the Fantastic four and Captain America movies were better than the original ones they made. (I know they are extreme examples, but it's just to prove the point.

Bill the Builer wrote:To say the newer stuff sucks is liking going to a 5 year old kid and saying: Your teddy bear is crap, mine was much better when I was a kid.

Most of my kids dolls talk or sing, that's creepy and it just ain't right
crazybirdman

Postby Bill the Builer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:49 am

crazybirdman wrote:Most of my kids dolls talk or sing, that's creepy and it just ain't right

Unless it's the talking Yoda :D
Bill the Builer

Postby StoutFiles » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:26 am

Bill the Builer wrote:
darthius wrote:In all honesty I don't understand the hatred that the OT fans display toward the PT films.

If TPM was released in 1977, and let's say using the technology available back then, it would most likely have the same affect as ANH. It's a matter of the right movie at the right time. It's forseeable that 90% of the now-generation will like what came came out back then better.

It really has nothing to do with nostalgia. It has everything to do with the story and characters. The prequel gives us few likeable characters doing nonsensical things.

I could list off everything wrong with Episode I and it would take all morning, but luckily someone has already done that for me and in hilarious video form.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

I dare any Episode I fan to watch it; I guarantee your opinion of the film will drastically change. Most people can watch the movie and feel that something is off about the film, but this perfectly highlights everything.
StoutFiles

Postby Bill the Builer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:37 am

Sorry, the videos didn't change my opinion! I base my opinions on my own likings, not what others like.
...and I actually like all the characters in Episode I. Maybe because I never tried to imagine how the movie should be.
Bill the Builer

Postby Coret » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:23 am

Bill the Builer wrote:We learn of midichlorians.

Yes let's learn of midichlorians, George's way of saying everything is science. He basically ruined the force with the inclusion of this. The aura of wonder around the force was the fact that it was in a way like magic. Instead you try to show the smoke and mirrors and attempt to show how the magician does it.
Coret

Postby StoutFiles » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:34 am

Bill the Builer wrote:Sorry, the videos didn't change my opinion! I base my opinions on my own likings, not what others like.
...and I actually like all the characters in Episode I. Maybe because I never tried to imagine how the movie should be.

You finished the hour long video in 12 minutes? Please prove you actually sat down and watched the whole thing by dissecting some points at different parts of the film instead of just saying "Nope, I don't care what others think! I liked it and will avoid anything that might change my mind!" It doesn't just explain character faults, but how nonsensical the story is as well as all the decisions they make throughout.
StoutFiles

Postby Bill the Builer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:41 am

I had already seen the videos before. Of course I didn't watch them in 12 minutes.
But I am entitled to like whatever I want, just as you are. Neither of us need to defend our opinions.
If liking Episode I makes me a bad person, then I'm the Sith Lord of movie-goers XD
Bill the Builer

Postby StoutFiles » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:47 am

Bill the Builer wrote:I had already seen the videos before. Of course I didn't watch them in 12 minutes.
But I am entitled to like whatever I want, just as you are. Neither of us need to defend our opinions.
If liking Episode I makes me a bad person, then I'm the Sith Lord of movie-goers XD

Fair enough. Just wanted to confirm you had seen them, not watching them is better than lying about it. To each his own.
StoutFiles

Postby Inzane » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Bill the Builer wrote:It's all very psychological. Unless you were traumatized by bad experiences, what you experienced as a kid will always leave a more pleasurable memory. School, friends, cartoons, the neighborhood, the old car, the dog - everything was nicer as a kid, or at least that's what our brain tells us. No one can have a childhood pet or toy replaced and claim it was better than what we had before. And that's a good thing, the brain needs that for healthy growth.

If you have a psychology degree, by all means post up a scan of it to show us.

Most of what you're babbling about is subjective anyway.

The Phantom Menace (and the rest of the PT) can be argued and debated as inferior films to the OT on the basis of OBJECTIVE qualities.
Inzane

Postby Flynn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Well, to be fair, anything concerning art is pretty subjective. That being said, I don't buy the whole "if the prequels were the first ones released, everyone would love them" argument. I do think their popularity would probably have been boosted if they hadn't had the original trilogy to compare too, but they still have some major problems in terms of characters, plot, overall writing, and direction that makes them (at least in my eyes) massively inferior to the original three films.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars