Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

To See, Or Not To See - Episode I in 3-D

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: To See, Or Not To See - Episode I in 3-D

Postby emmtwosix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 pm

StoutFiles wrote:Yes, that seemed to have worked out well for Maul. While I agree having the higher ground is advantageous, it is not an instant victory. Yoda was able to climb right back up and they ended up tieing with the Force, pushing them both back to hang on the platform. One of them was physically able to climb back up and one of then wasn't physically able to climb back up.

That's why I said usually, and not always. Besides, Maul made the classic bad guy mistake of not finishing the job when he had the chance, and instead gloated - slashing the top of the pit with his lightsaber like a goon - and lost focus because he thought he had already won. Palpatine was able to climb back up because he had a hand on the rail of the upper platform (where he previously had center ring control, whereas Yoda was fighting on the edge nearly the entire time - again, position advantage) but Yoda had fallen to a lower platform and had to try to keep hold of a smooth surface with no rail. If the situation would have been reversed and Yoda had a hold of the rail and Palpatine didn't, the outcome would have been the exact opposite, and Palpatine would have fallen.
StoutFiles wrote:There's literally no evidence in that scene that Yoda purposely falls hundreds of painful feet, especially when his opponent is barely hanging on at the same time. Once he lands...tired, broken, and his lightsaber is misplaced...only then is he defeated and crawls away.

Never said he fell on purpose either. But once he had realized he was at an extreme disadvantage, with Palpatine on the upper platform and he on the ground, tired, broken, and his lightsaber misplaced (all attributed to bad luck, rather than skill or size) Yoda decided that it wasn't a battle he could win, given the circumstances. I'm not saying he absolutely knew the troopers were coming, but there's no doubt he knew that he didn't have an unlimited amount of time to win that particular battle.
StoutFiles wrote:I'm pretty sure the PT could have been written in a way to not disgrace the OT characters, but that's just me.

Obi-wan and Yoda had to be split up, therefore Yoda faced Palps and Obi-wan faced Ani. I'm not sure how Yoda losing a battle in the PT disgraces the OT, because I don't remember Yoda ever saying that the Jedi always triumph over the Sith, or, as long as you follow the Jedi path, you will win every lightsaber battle.
emmtwosix

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:06 pm

You're right it is silly to think someone could sneak onto the Death Star and find an opportunity to face vader solo, ridiculous even.

You have made your point. In your Star Wars, Yoda is a god. In mine he's a muppet that can do some tricks and teach kids not to judge a book by the cover.

He was a creature that could manipulate the force regardless of his size and could teach this to Luke, that (and the fact that Vader killed everyone else including Obi-wan) is why he sent him to Yoda. Who was hiding. From VADER. Not a creature so powerful he could win in a battle against any one foe using the force alone. You've read so far in to what they were spoonfeeding you that you've ruined the movies for yourself.

For the record, I'm not defending the PT in the least. Simply stating that your reasoning is totally off base.
buriedbybricks

Postby emmtwosix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:14 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:You have made your point. In your Star Wars, Yoda is a god. In mine he's a muppet that can do some tricks and teach kids not to judge a book by the cover.

Well, actually that was the point I'd made quite a few posts ago - not to judge a book by its cover - I was just trying to defend the position that the PT didn't contradict this, as has been claimed by a few OT-only fans.

Glad we're in agreement. XD
emmtwosix

Previous

Return to Star Wars