Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Where to buy old star wars lego sets?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Where to buy old star wars lego sets?

Postby Cadger » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:52 am

Hello! This is my first post on the new forum. I started collecting star wars lego i 1999. I've been through a few slow years, but now I'm inspired to get my collection going again! :)

There are of course many older sets I lack and I want to acquire some of those. But how? I do know ebay and such but the prices are often rediculesly high. I do not care so much for unopened sets as long as the sets are complete and in good shape. But even then many sets are priced very high.

I've looked in some priceguides. They often put a relatively low price on the sets when used. But where in the world can I find the sets at that prices? :) Where can I buy lego at a resonable price?
Cadger

Re: Where to buy old star wars lego sets?

Postby Draykov » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 am

Welcome back, Cadger. I highly recommend you take a look at the "Educate Yourself" portion of this thread. You might find some of that information very useful.

The short answer to the question, though, is to try Bricklink. Price may still be well above MSRP for older/discontinued sets, but I'll wager they'll be a bit easier to swallow than what things go for on e-Bay. You can search for a particular set via the Catalog tab. From there, you can view the Price Guide info for the set in question and find out what it generally goes for.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby banthafodder » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:46 am

You can try bricklink but these too caqn have high prices. For used sets I have had good luck with ebay. You just have to be patient for someone to post up sets that don't have the "buy it now" option which tend to be overpriced. I also think that you might have some luck in the near future in gathering old sets with the release of all the new licenses coming out. It might draw some of the collectors to the new lines and lessen the demand for old Star Wars sets.
banthafodder

Postby Inzane » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm

The classifieds right here on this very site is another source to look at.
Inzane

Postby Draykov » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Not sure how I overlooked that, but yes. Thanks, Inzane!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=36
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Also, if there is one applicable to your local area, try Craigslist. I've seen good and bad deals on there, but sometimes you can get recently retired sets before the scalper tax kicks in.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Cadger » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 am

Thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction! I've known about Bricklink but I've not used it much. I've spent som time on the site today and I find quite a few sets at good prices.

Stupid me. I've been into star wars lego for 12 years and still shown noob-tendencies and looked at buy-it-now-buttons on Ebay. :x

(The only bad thing now is that sometimes shipping is expensive and the Norwegian customs add fees and taxes to the shipments. But I'll have to live with that.)
Cadger

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 pm

If you don't care about keeping the boxes, many sellers will repack the set in a smaller box to save on shipping.
buriedbybricks

Postby Draykov » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Just as an aside, Cadger...depending on when you were into the hobby, you may be aware of this, but about 10-12 years ago, Bricklink was known as "Brickbay." Not sure if that will ring a bell with you or not.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Return to Star Wars