Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2012 Summer Set Pictures

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 2012 Summer Set Pictures

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:32 pm

THX 1138 wrote:Gungan Sub: Looks pretty decent. Way better than the absolutely horrible looking previous one. I always liked the vehicle from the movie, and the minifigs look great, so I'll probably get it.

See, I don't get that. This version looks, to me anyway, nothing like the shape of the actual vehicle. It looks round, with a couple of miniscule triangular bits sticking off the sides in the rear, whereas the actual sub is FAR more triangular. This new model also looks to have WAY too much space in front of the cockpits. The old one suffered from a blocky build, and a horrible, flat bottom, but at least it was generally the right shape. This new one looks ugly as sin to me, and even LESS accurate than the old.
Mister Ed

Postby THX 1138 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
THX 1138 wrote:Gungan Sub: Looks pretty decent. Way better than the absolutely horrible looking previous one. I always liked the vehicle from the movie, and the minifigs look great, so I'll probably get it.

See, I don't get that. This version looks, to me anyway, nothing like the shape of the actual vehicle. It looks round, with a couple of miniscule triangular bits sticking off the sides in the rear, whereas the actual sub is FAR more triangular. This new model also looks to have WAY too much space in front of the cockpits. The old one suffered from a blocky build, and a horrible, flat bottom, but at least it was generally the right shape. This new one looks ugly as sin to me, and even LESS accurate than the old.

After looking at a reference picture, I do agree that the overall shape is a little off, and there is too much space in front of the cockpit, but overall, it's not bad. I also think the new one is just far better looking in general than the previous one, which I suppose is just a matter of opinion.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby gamjuven » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm by far the most pumped about the Old Republic sets. I really hope they go far and create a bunch of stuff from the game. Those cgi trailers from the game inspire a lot in the lego army builder in me. From the other sets the skiff looks like the best in terms of minifigs with Boba and Lando being harder to get otherwise.
gamjuven

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:24 am

Boba Fett in the Skiff set? I'm so happy, I think I could cry. :)
Walter Boy

Re: 2011 Summer Set Pictures

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:42 am

StoutFiles wrote:
Flynn wrote:Wow, I honestly never thought they could make a worse Jabba's Palace set than the original.

It's supposed to resemble the shape of the Palace from the outside. I agree that the piece count is lacking, but this is mainly about the rare minifigs and less about the play features of the Palace.

An astute observation, StoutFiles. I didn't catch this right off, but you're absolutely right. While this isn't the grand palace playset that maybe many of us were hoping for, this is still a clever spin on it and one that I quite like. With any luck, the reverse side will be a cool display.

Also, it sounds like a mild case of everyone wanting to "have their cake and eat it to." Everyone would like to see a full-blown palace, with a great audience chamber, full-blown rancor pit, prison, gate, etc. But at the same time, everyone has been clamoring for a full-complement of aliens with this set and a hypothetical cantina set. Well, we're getting a bunch of aliens, several of them new or virtually new (Bib Fortuna only showed up in one other set, nearly 10 years ago!). So for all the great figs and at least some thought going into the presentation of the palace, I'm not going to lose sleep over the lack of a rancor pit.

Tohst wrote:Finally, a jedi starfighter!

Thank goodness! We'll all be waiting with bated breath for this highly-anticipated set :roll:
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby lowlead » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:59 am

I'm with the camp that doesn't even blink at the lack of a rancor - would have been nice, but I'm confident we'll see one eventually, and it will likely get a better treatment if it's a dedicated set.

I remember waiting for a taun-taun, then a wampa, and they both appeared. We'll get one (2013: 30 yr anniversary of Jedi).

In the meantime, the palace set is a big improvement, and the figs are great (Boushh Leia :D ) This the best set in the Summer line-up IMHO.
lowlead

Postby naugem » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I wasn't much excited about the first 2012 sets that were announced, but the UCS B-Wing, Fury Class Interceptor and Jabba's Palace change that :D
Hopefully 2 great ships and a bunch of cool minifigs.
naugem

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:38 pm

The bongo does look quite off, but I'm personally hoping it's the angle and the fact that the picture is very preliminary.

lowlead wrote:I'm with the camp that doesn't even blink at the lack of a rancor - would have been nice, but I'm confident we'll see one eventually, and it will likely get a better treatment if it's a dedicated set.

I remember waiting for a taun-taun, then a wampa, and they both appeared. We'll get one (2013: 30 yr anniversary of Jedi).

In the meantime, the palace set is a big improvement, and the figs are great (Boushh Leia :D ) This the best set in the Summer line-up IMHO.

After we have our rancor, I wonder what large creature we will crave for next. Exogorth? Acklay? Opee sea killer? I'd also be interested in an Amanaman...
fallenangel327

Postby THX 1138 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:03 pm

I must say, I am kind of disappointed in the lack of Attack of the Clones sets for 2012, given that it's its 10th anniversary and all. I was at least hoping for a Jango Fett's Slave I. I hope it'll be one of the summer exclusives, although I suppose it is still a bit soon after the recent Boba Fett's Slave I to be releasing what would essentially be a recolor with different minifigs and a few different features.
Last edited by THX 1138 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby naugem » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:35 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:After we have our rancor, I wonder what large creature we will crave for next. Exogorth? Acklay? Opee sea killer? I'd also be interested in an Amanaman...

A bantha?
naugem

Re: 2011 Summer Set Pictures

Postby Flynn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 pm

MrCRskater wrote:Also, it sounds like a mild case of everyone wanting to "have their cake and eat it to."

I just wanted a well-designed set, be it with new fancy figures or without. And judging from the pictures available, it certainly doesn't deliver on that aspect.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby lowlead » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:30 pm

naugem wrote:
fallenangel327 wrote:After we have our rancor, I wonder what large creature we will crave for next. Exogorth? Acklay? Opee sea killer? I'd also be interested in an Amanaman...

A bantha?

oooooh! Yes, a bantha! With a few sand people...and Luke...and 3PO with his arms ripped off.
lowlead

Postby THX 1138 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:35 pm

There are now pictures of the next wave of Planets sets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TppaC_O9 ... lEKocqFw0f

The mini X-Wing actually looks really good for a mini model, but I doubt that I'll get any of these.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby SWfanforever » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Really looking forward to general grievous flagship malevolence. Was this the ship from the beginning of episode 3?
SWfanforever

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 am

I'm pretty sure it is, but this version is specifically from The Clone Wars so I'm sure it has some differences.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Morgan19 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 am

Nope: Malevolence is Clone Wars and Invisible Hand is EPIII. They're definitely in the same family of ships appearance-wise, though, if you compare those two pictures.

(If I'm remembering its CW episode arc correctly, the Malevolence is destroyed during its last episode, long before the opening of EPIII.)

m19
Morgan19

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Aha. Thanks! Those are indeed quite different when you see them at the same time.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Commander23c » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:01 pm

And............the video has been pulled per copy-right claims by Lego Group
Commander23c

Postby jomandybri » Tue May 29, 2012 6:42 am

I believe this is the appropriate thread; new pics anyone?

Yes, the fabled 9526 Paplatine's Arrest!

This imaged has been fixed up by Hoth Bricks
Original posting credit, I believe goes to someone over at Imperium Der Steine.
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby bigj22 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 am

wow Palpatine's Arrest looks pretty lame. I'll be passing on that set for sure.
bigj22

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars