Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

6212 X-Wing: wait?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

6212 X-Wing: wait?

Postby Werlu Ulcur » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Hey guys :)!

This is my 1st post here, so if this has been asked before, please direct me to the right thread. Playing Lego Star Wars on the PS3 with my 5yo son got me thinking about getting back to the little bricks, that I have been away from since I was a kid. Back then Lego was just "building bricks", there was nothing like the themes we have today. Having a 5yo at home who aspires to be a Jedi (he's just a padawan right now) and being a fan of SW, naturally I thought that if I should get back to Lego it had to be through the SW door, right :cool:?

So here's the thing: I don't have the funds and (specially) the space to go crazy with the collection, I just want to get some very specific sets that speak to my heart or that I consider to be somewhat important. And what decent SW fan will not consider the X-Wing as one of the most important flying machine ever dreamed up by man ;)? I almost had made up my mind on getting a #6212 X-Wing, but yesterday here on FBTB I found out that a new set (#9493) is coming out next year.

Should I wait for the new set? Will the new set have some sort of improvement over the #6212 or is it just a matter of different minifigs :roll:?
Cheers!
Luciano

Brazil
Werlu Ulcur

Re: X-Wing: wait?

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Well, the new one will be about $10 more Suggested Retail (in the US, anyway. I imagine it will be more expensive elsewhere as well, but I don't know how much). Other than that, I'd say look for images and decide which one you think looks better. A quick Google image search using the set numbers should find good pictures, so you can decide if the new one looks enough better to be worth the extra cost...
Mister Ed

Postby fallenangel327 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 pm

fallenangel327

Postby Werlu Ulcur » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:38 am

In terms of number of parts and detail level are they the same?
If possible I would rather go with the "more complex" model.
Cheers!
Luciano

Brazil
Werlu Ulcur

Postby fallenangel327 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:21 am

Werlu Ulcur wrote:In terms of number of parts and detail level are they the same?
If possible I would rather go with the "more complex" model.

6212 is 437 pieces. 9493 is probably about that many, though it gets a few more things right. Bruce Lowell's (the third one) is 783 pieces and surpasses both in detail and accuracy.
fallenangel327

Re: 6212 X-Wing: wait?

Postby Draykov » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:59 am

If you really want to make an educated decision, my suggestion would be to review the instruction booklet for 6212 as well as the brick inventory. Once 9493 comes out this January (or, more likely, mid-to-late December), you should be able to take a look at the instructions and inventory of that set using those same resources I linked to.

If you don't want to wait, just go with your gut or make a decision based on the available photos. Just keep in mind, 6212 might not be around for much longer...I would think it would still be available somewhere for MSRP in January, but don't expect it to be widely available after March or so of 2012. 6212 originally came out in 2006, so it already bucks the 2-year lifespan trend a lot of sets are subject to...but given the ship being represented and its popularity, it's not to surprising that they extended the production run. But, with a new version of the X-Wing to sell (9493), you can count on the existing stock of 6212 currently available at retailers being all that's left.

As an aside, you may want to check out the information in this thread. It's good information to have if you're getting back into the hobby. I find your statement about "...just wanting to get some very specific sets" adorable. ;) Little did you know, my friend, it is likely already too late...you have taken the first step upon a very slippery slope that has led you here. :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Werlu Ulcur » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 am

:lol:
Yeah, I know when I'm staring into a bottomless pit (HEAPS of experience there, trust me... XD).

Even though I'm only moderately successful in controlling the urge to go overboard, space is at a premium here - I just don't have room to display much more stuff. And like with every other of my collection hobbies, I rather not get something if I have to store it in a box in the attic because I can't display it. Therefor, I want to be very selective about what I get.

Would it be possible to improve one of them with more or better parts? The Bruce Lowell model, is it a custom job or was it put together using "regular" parts? Sorry but everything is still new & unknown to me, so I can't yet say what is stock and what is not.
Cheers!
Luciano

Brazil
Werlu Ulcur

Postby fallenangel327 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Werlu Ulcur wrote::lol:
Would it be possible to improve one of them with more or better parts? The Bruce Lowell model, is it a custom job or was it put together using "regular" parts? Sorry but everything is still new & unknown to me, so I can't yet say what is stock and what is not.

I believe the 16L straws used in the laser cannons on Bruce's X-wing were reinforced to stay straight, but all other parts are unmodified. You could most definitely improve on any of these models, though 6212 is so poor of a base model that I wouldn't bother. :lol: Try one of these.

A less costly alternative is Tim Goddard's excellent MINI, for which instructions are provided.
fallenangel327

Postby Werlu Ulcur » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:03 am

I made up my mind: ordered an AT-AT (#8129) instead :lol:.

It was on my to get list and I was able to find one locally, so there wont be any stress with overseas shipping (a PITA in this time of the year), so I went for it. I'll wait a bit more on the X-Wing to see what the new #9493 looks like and then make a better decision. But being frank, from the little that I know of SW sets, I doubt it will be worse then the #6212 in terms of details and parts.
Cheers!
Luciano

Brazil
Werlu Ulcur

Postby fallenangel327 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:29 am

Werlu Ulcur wrote: I'll wait a bit more on the X-Wing to see what the new #9493 looks like and then make a better decision. But being frank, from the little that I know of SW sets, I doubt it will be worse then the #6212 in terms of details and parts.

fallenangel327

Postby Werlu Ulcur » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Man, that IS looking good! :cool:
I saw over at EuroBricks that there will also be a new TIE fighter set, so I guess I'll have to get both XD.
Cheers!
Luciano

Brazil
Werlu Ulcur

Postby bendog2008 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Although this question has probably been resolved, I would say for a first time, not-too-serious collector, 6212 is a great start. You get characters like Luke, Han, Liea, R2, Chewie etc all in one set with a great X-wing model. They are also better figures because they don't have pupils, as they have had since 2010 (You may like them like that, but I'm not too keen personally) :)
bendog2008

Postby Spencer Solo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Though 6212 has more minifigures, I have both and prefer 9493. Just my 2 cents.
" Try? Ha! Do or do not. There is no try."- Yoda
Spencer Solo

Postby Haderach1976 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:04 am

Don't forget LEGO 10240 - the new "UCS" X-Wing. From your original post (young son, etc.), it sounds like you are more interested in play sets / system sets. 10240 is also very pricey. That said, I just wanted to point it out and provide a link just in case you were unaware of the set, it releases in early May 2013.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Red-Five-X-w ... hter-10240
Haderach1976

Return to Star Wars