Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO-Star Wars 2009: First Impressions?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO-Star Wars 2009: First Impressions?

Postby Bricks » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 am

I'm sorry that some of you can't post right now. But I'm sure you'll be soon able to do that!
This is the general topic for discussion, rumour and announcement.
But please remind yourself one of the important rules in such a topic: Don't post illegal/blurry pictures of new sets!
If you have some new informations, make a look at the first post. I trying to keep it up-to-date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January sets 2009:
-Picture is link to SHOP@HOME-

8014: Clone Walker Battle Pack:

8015: Assassin Droids Battle Pack:

8016: Hyena Droid Bomber:

8017: Darth Vaders TIE-Fighter:

8018: Armored Assault Tank (AAT):

8019: Republic Attack Shuttle:

7751: Ahsoka's Starfighter & Vulture Droid:

7752: Count Dookus Solar Sailer:

LEGO Star Wars 10th Anniversary: Chrome Darth Vader (Promo.):

-Remade Magnetsets: Link to S@H
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings 'Bricks'
Last edited by Bricks on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brickshelf---------------------------BrickNews
Bricks

Re: LEGO-Star Wars 2009: Discussion Topic

Postby Joedward » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:00 am

In the image guidelines Don wrote:Embedding Images in Posts:
- Embedding an image simply means adding a picture to your post so others can see it while viewing a thread.
Embedded images are a very important part of a forum like this, because we're here to share creations. However, it is important to remember that not everyone has a broadband connection or a high resolution screen, so you should keep this in mind while posting any pictures. These are some simple guidelines to make everyone's viewing experience better.
.JPG, .GIF or .PNG formats only, ABSOLUTELY NO .BMP (BITMAPS). No large animated .GIFs either please.
Maximum size is 640 x 480 pixels in either portrait or landscape format. If it's too large: link to it instead.
You can also post thumbnail images instead - thumbnails are typically 100 x 100 pixels each or smaller.
No more than 3 full size images or 6 thumbnails at a time please. Show off your best and link to the rest.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:07 am

Joed:
In the Code of Conduct, I also wrote:Members are responsible for the content of their posts, and while the staff works diligently to keep the community safe and clean we can't guarantee that we will catch every before you see it. If you find something that violates any part of these rules, the proper course of action is to tell the staff immediately. Do not respond or try to enforce these rules yourself. That's what the we are here for, and it's why we have so many extra buttons. Helpful tips are welcome and encouraged, but acting as a surrogate moderator is will be considered disruptive.

Bricks: misguided or not he does have a point. Please make sure you understand our image guidelines. Also, try to refrain from starting threads like this; it seems like you have nothing to discuss, but simply want to be the first to post on the given subject. I'm glad that you are excited to be here, but I want to hear what you think about the new sets if they interest you... not just that they're available. ;)

I went ahead and edited your post.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Bricks » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:25 am

Sorry I miss that point. But I've added now the first post with reduced pictures.
I write my discuss points in the next post (so in this), to have a clean first post with an overview.

My view:
If I saw the first pictures of the new January sets I thought they will be a little boring. But know we have over 5 new great sets. My favourites are the 8014 Clone Walker Battlepack. It makes a change to build a huge Clone Army. The other one is the 7752 C. Dookus Solair Sailor, who have a nice design and awesome new figures. The disappointing point is the not existent sail. Which would be a nice extra.
So all in all we have a good start in the new year. I think every kind of fan have a lot of fun with them :D

Greetings 'Bricks'
Bricks

Re: LEGO-Star Wars 2009: S@H Links

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 am

Well, if we're discussing the '09 sets, here we go:

I have the 8014 Clone Walker Battle Pack. Great little set, I have it and I love it. The walker has some great pieces, like the 1x3x4 slopey pieces in LtBley, and of course, the LtBley cheeses. The new Clone Engineer helmet print is great too. Although it's no big deal, I prefered the Clone Accessories (Head-torches, antenna, Pauldron, Kama and Visor) in DkBley, and I'm somewhat confused as to why they've been rereleased in a different, arguably less accurate colour.

And now that we can talk about summer '09 sets, here we go.

I was excited about the new Y-Wing when it was a prelim. Now however, the front seems too plain and dull. While I love the engine nacelles, and indeed the new bubble piece on the turret, I'm not sure about this set... Also, This Y-wing can't be considered to represent all BTL-B type Y-Wings, because it's Anakin's paint jobbed version. The standard one has inverted colours, so white with yellow highlights. And yes, we get another Anakin and Asoka. Becasue we didn't have enough of them yet. Oh no.

This years massive set, or massive disappointment, is the Venator class Star Destroyer. It looks to have th esame basic functions as the '06 SD, but this one's deformed and fat, even more so than a normal Venator. The nose section is much too high, for example. The main disappointment is the scarcity of figs. The '06 DS had everyone and their dog (well, mouse droid), but this only has five figs. Granted, three of them are entirely new and look rather spiffy, but still... Throw in Adminal Yularen or a Clone Officer...

Ignoring the smaller CW sets for now, because they don't interest me much, we return to the good old Original Trilogy. And TAUNTAUNS!!! The battle of Hoth set is indeed rather awesome. New helmets/googles for the Rebels, and Tauntauns. And snowtroopers. And Tauntauns. Well, a Tauntaun. Still, it looks to be a great set, especially as you get a trench-ette for the Rebels to cower behind, and a turret.

Endor. Wow. The new AT-ST is easily the best yet, it looks like the Technic one miniaturised. More of those nifty new speeder bikes too, and Leia gets new hair. I hope the Rebel Commandos get new helmets too. The bunker looks good, I wonder if it will be open at the back, or fold out. Finally, return of the Ewoks. Yay! New glider looks great.

Bring on the Summer, say I!
Last edited by Jake on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake

Postby Firespray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:40 am

Vader's TIE is a pretty great set, the new Vader minifig redesign is great, loads more detail on him. The fighter itself is fairly sturdy, had fun the other day swooshing it around for a few minutes :P And it's got the old school box art, that was a instant buy it now for me, I loved the old art.
Firespray

Postby Bricks » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Jake!

I'm sorry but you can't post such pictures. If you have a higher annulment of the picture (you will find it on Brickshelf) you can see that the picture is illegal, because it have an watermark. So please remove it ;)

Greetings 'Bricks'
Bricks

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:58 am

Now this place is on the right track, but just as I reminded Joed: we'll handle the moderating. Thanks.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Firespray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Well if it's cool to talk about them, Endor rocks hard and makes me feel warm and tingly inside :P If I have to spend all the money I have to get it, I will. Hoth is also awesome, could have used another Tauntaun with Luke though :( And new helmets for Hoth troops and Endor troopers, woot :D
Firespray

Postby Fullmetalfan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:26 pm

About the 09 sets so far-

I'm really liking the new AAT set, missed out on the first and while its not the ideal sand colour it's still pretty nice. The Yoda Minifig is a big plus too. The way the back is set up so a small Droid carrier like thing hooks up when inside to cover the back is a great idea too.

I also liked the Republic Attack Shuttle as it has so many features as well as looking cool. It can drop bombs, has a firing belt that has about 8 flick fire type missiles (that is very good fun) and the way it can drop off the main room inside it.
Mace Windu is in the set with a Purple Lightsaber as well as 2 Clone Troopers. One of the bad points however is the way the instructions hooks the lightsaber onto a clip by the blade.

The only other set I made was Ashoka's (sorry if that is spelled wrong) Starfighter. It was ok but not many special features. It is a cheap way to get a Ashoka figure though.
Fullmetalfan

Postby BigBenKenobi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Firespray wrote:Well if it's cool to talk about them, Endor rocks hard and makes me feel warm and tingly inside :P If I have to spend all the money I have to get it, I will. Hoth is also awesome, could have used another Tauntaun with Luke though :( And new helmets for Hoth troops and Endor troopers, woot :D

Yep, Endor looks amazing...except the rumored prices, which don't make me feel all warm and tingly inside!
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby bigkid24 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Sorry, if I missed this in a previous discussion but were the assassin droids actually in the CW? Or are they just supposed to be generic IG-88s?

As for the rest of 2009 I really can't wait for either the Endor or Hoth sets. The Endor set is massive which adds to the coolness factor...as opposed it it just being a door like the original Hoth base was, but do we really need another AT-ST?
bigkid24

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm

BigKid, they're IG-series assassin droids, but not model 84. I guess they're in the Clone Wars to enphasise the links t othe Original Trilogy.
Jake

Postby nat3_th3_gr3at » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:34 pm

I can't wait to see the new summer sets at the Toy Fair in a couple of days. :D I will most likely be attending and I am beyond excited to see the Tauntauns along with the Endor Playset and other 10th anniversary LEGO sets. I have been waiting for a LEGO Tauntaun all 10 years of LEGO Star Wars and I doubt LEGO will mess this one up because they have had 10 years to perfect it. The new battle packs are pretty awesome and I like that new half plastic half rubber piece from the droid bp.

nat3
nat3_th3_gr3at

Postby Brick shock » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Mmmm goodies!
I'm not too fond of the assassin droid BP, but it's better than nothing.
Clone BP: The bets set this year without question!
AAT: I don't like yoda and the SBD cannon arms are on the wrong side but overall it's a must get for me.
Hyena droid bomber: I hate to say this but I don't think I'll be getting it. :|
Count Dooku's solar sailor@ A yes, I want those parts!
Ashoka's fighter: Maybe, but I don't care about her or the buzz droids.
republic attack shuttle: I would normally but I already made a moc of it a month ago, plus it's better than TLC's.

Also, excuse me for forgetting to introduce myself. I'm brick shock, but you can call me OD. (many of my other accounts throughout sites are named ODST or ODST7)
" "If you strike me down I shall eat your face as a zombie." Oops I mean....
"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can ever imagine." "
Brick shock

Postby Teekay » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:10 pm

My favorite is the Clone Walker BP. I like the Assassin Droid BP, but it is nowhere near my favorite. The only other one I've seen in person is the AAT. I don't have it, though, my friend does. I like it, though, it is probably my second favorite. The Yoda figure, although cartoony, is very detailed. The Solar Sailor is overpriced and doesn't have a sail, but it is still pretty cool. The Republic Attack Shuttle, Hyena Bomber, and Ahsoka's Fighter are nothing special. However, I'll still get them, as I'm a completist. Of course I must get the 10th aniversary Darth Vader's TIE. That is a necessity, with its amazing grey.

Of the sets seen at the Canada ToyFair:

I love the OT sets! I missed out on the ewoks and scout troopers, so I'll definately have to get that one. Also: [crazy n00b]OMG! An Endor Bunker[/crazy n00b] And then there is the TaunTaun. I'll need at least two of those just for the hoodie and the TaunTaun. That is the best one of the August wave. From the Clone Wars, the Tank Droid is a good addition for me because I missed it in 2005. The Separatist Shuttle isn't so hot, except for the Neimodian (Gunray, right) and the Rodian. Now, I'm not sure if we're ok to talk about the Venerator, but I think we are. I want to get a whole bunch of cruisers in ISD scale, so this is cool.

My Ranks:
January:
1. Clone Walker BP. Why: 4 clones for $10. It's a no-brainer.
2. Darth Vader's TIE. Why: Two reasons. 1: It's OT, and 10th anniversary. 2: New grey color scheme.
3. AAT. Why: Amazing vehicle + Yoda + New Super Battle Droids + Clone = Epic Win.
4. Count Dooku's Solar Sailor. Why: Not so much for the ship, although it is vaguely awesome, but for the Dooku, whom I missed. Also, you can never have too many MagnaGuards.
5. Assassin Droid BP. Why: Speeder + 5 IG-88 esque droids + $10 = Cool. Considering it's an army builder, and only five really apear = Not Cool
6. Ahsoka's Jedi Starfighter. Why: I'm in desperate need of a red Jedi Starfighter. And some buzz droids. However, way too pricey.
7. Republic Attack Shuttle. Why: I like the Mace, but not enough Clones, and a stinky interior
8. Hyena Droid Bomber. Why: Although the droids are cool, the ship is only briefly seen, so that's why I hate it. Although I don't really hate it. It's OK.

August:
1. Hoth Base. Why: TaunTaun and hoodie Han in a reasonably priced set. 'Nuff said
2. Endor Battle. Why: Loads of rare figs, a bunker, some speeders, an AT-ST, the list goes on and on
3. Tank Droid. Why: Really neat vehicle, plus I missed it.
4. Venerator. Why: I'm just partial to ISD scaled playsets.
5. Separatist Shuttle. Why: Great figs, not so hot ship.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby AJayIrish » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm

I'm happy i got a hold of most of the current release ones before i was forced into a dark age this week, it's likely i won't be able to buy any more for up to 2 - 3 months.
"Okay, Here's the plan: We're two Castle Soldiers about to high-jack a modern City Train, and we're in a Star Wars universe. Oh, and watch out for Batman. Any Questions?"

- AJay
AJayIrish

Postby FirstCircle » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm not terribly keen on the Clone War sets in general... especially considering price. Ahsoka's Starfighter intrigues me, though. I'm a sucker for crimson and the EpII Jedi starfighter design; I think this is the best official Jedi starfighter set to date.

I hate her minifig and the Vulture Droid in blue is just weird, but the new R7-A7 rocks!

I've kinda been hoping for EpII sets, but I guess Clone War sets will have to do for now. I guess that only thing that truly repulses me about the set is the price.

I'm also a hair's width from picking up the assasin droid pack. I like my IG-88 fig, but I'd like replacements, 'cause those droid parts are exceptionally fragile.
My BrickLink store, Jabberwocky's Emporium.
FirstCircle

Postby lordvader208 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:05 am

This year's sets appeal to me a lot. I just like the looks of some of the ships and Darth Vader's TIE is definitely an improvement. The new summer 2009 sets look awesome as well, but we need to wait for more pictures and final prices to make a fair judgment about those. :D But anyways, here's my list of the sets I should get this year:

1. Republic Shuttle (just about everyone says this set is good, and I like the looks)
2. Ahsoka's Starfighter and Vulture Droid (overpriced, but looks nice; and I don't have an Ahsoka fig yet)
3. Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (I didn't have the old one, so I need to get this one. And I need the new vader)
4. Hoth Base/Echo Base (new taun taun, new goggles for hoth troopers, and 2 snowtroopers; the super battle pack)
5. Venator (I have uses for those grey plates for future UCS scale MOCs even though minifigs are scarce)
6. Tank Droid/Snail Droid (I didn't have the Ep3 Wookie Attack set, and this one looks even better. The new jetpack troopers seem interesting too)
7. At LEAST 3 clone walker packs (I need to fill my old RGS with clones because I painted 3 of my 4 original ep2 clones into ARC troopers. Not to mention that my clone vs. droid army is outnumbered like 1:7 approximately)

I think I'll pass on the Endor set. I already have the more recent AT-ST and the old Ewok Attack set, so there's not much completely new from the Endor set besides the bunker.
lordvader208

Postby Ham Salad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:45 am

1. Clone Battle Pack!!!! Just awesome! Already my Army of the Republic is growing muwahahahaha! Just hate the price in OZ of $20 a pop and the fact that the two stores in my area have already sold out of stock. :cry:
2. Republic Shuttle - on layby. Looks good, but I would have liked it a bit more to scale, but that means more pieces which means even more expensive that the $99 they are trying to flog them off at. Thank goodness for 15% off at K-Mart.
3. Yoda, Mace Windu and New Count Dooku minfig magnet pack, which doesn't have a magnet in the legs :evil: New lightsabers and heads.

Saving my hard earned for Endor goodness (Rebel Commandoes) and looking forward to TAUNTAUNS! Will need plenty of coin for those. If only I didn't have to pay all those darn bills....
I'm double parked in a parallel universe.
Ham Salad

Next

Return to Star Wars