Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

9495 Gold Leader's Y-wing Starfighter

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New Pictures of LEGO Star Wars 2012

Postby Draykov » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Brainslugged wrote:As an aside, is it just me that feels the R5 units need an extra plate between their head and their body? Aren't they meant to be taller than R2, not shorter?

I'll take what I can get, but I think R5 units are typically a bit taller than R2 units (1m and 0.96m respectively, according to Wookiepedia). I've not seen the new fig next to an R2 fig, so I would say the jury is still out on accuracy.

Bellicose wrote:I don't like the gap at the forward end of each engine nacelle. Glad to have regular smooth nacelle caps instead of the golf-ball-textured ones.

Guess I might kitbash between the two to see what I can come up with. New mod project...whee!

Agreed on all counts.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: 9495 Gold Leader's Y-wing Starfighter

Postby cas » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:30 pm

I suppose the gaps in the nacelles is attributed to the redesigned macaroni pieces preventing the offset stacking technique used in the previous Y-wing. I guess it isn't too late to stock up on the old style macaroni pieces.

Walter Boy wrote:It'd be pretty sad if this set was 50 dollars or higher, but somehow I can see it being that.

I'd buy this so fast if it was $50, but if the new X-wing is $60, where does it leave this set? Another $60 set? $70? I don't want to think about it.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby StoutFiles » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Draykov wrote:
Brainslugged wrote:As an aside, is it just me that feels the R5 units need an extra plate between their head and their body? Aren't they meant to be taller than R2, not shorter?

I'll take what I can get, but I think R5 units are typically a bit taller than R2 units (1m and 0.96m respectively, according to Wookiepedia). I've not seen the new fig next to an R2 fig, so I would say the jury is still out on accuracy.

Vander's droid is an all-gray R2 unit, so I think they blew it.
StoutFiles

Postby MrCRskater » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Brainslugged wrote:. . .look at all the different colors and textures on the older nacelles. Now we get... a sticker.

Downgrade!
Brainslugged wrote:Also, too many naked studs on the body, although it does look a bit better to me today than yesterday.

This doesn't bother me quite so much. It is LEGO, after all. If it's gonna be all tiled, SNOT'y, and smoothed out, it may as well be a Hasbro model.
Draykov wrote:. . . I'll take Leia, but still no love for Tiree? Five Y-Wing releases (if you count 7150/7152/7262 as separate) in system scale and (as Blacknight pointed out) it's still like Gold Leader was the only Y-Wing pilot at Yavin.

Tru' dat!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby ginja » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:35 am

There really is only one thing I like about the set and that is the very front of the cockpit section. Previous examples have failed to have the laser cannon coming out from under the 'hood', instead tacked on the front. But because of this positive change the rest of the cockpit section looks wrong and blocky. And the design of the rest is out of shape, and not an improvement. I liked the previous incarnation, and really the only reasons to remake the set would be:

If they improved the sizing of the Engines.
If it was a two seater bomber configaration
If they made a new mold for a better canopy, that works the way it should.

It is a missed opertunity and from the looks of it, the pilot's helmet has the same design, would be nice to have a different print.

Set mashup seems the way forward.
ginja

Postby Mofo Jones » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:04 am

I'm not thinking set mashup, at least not by buying this new version. I'll download the building instructions in a couple of months and see if there are any changes I want to make to my copy of 7658.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Train 01 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:41 pm

I actually like this set, maybe because I don't have a Y-Wing Fighter.
Train 01

Postby volumex » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Here was achance to make a two seater and they blew it.... :'(
volumex

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:56 pm

volumex wrote:Here was achance to make a two seater and they blew it.... :'(

I'm pretty sure all the Y-wings at Yavin were single-seater. The S3 variant made its first appearances in Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the Holiday Special.
fallenangel327

Postby micro » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Why doesn't this set have 4 minifigs like all of the other 2012 SW sets we have seen pictures of (except for the planet sets, of course)? :)
micro

Postby StoutFiles » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:10 am

micro wrote:Why doesn't this set have 4 minifigs like all of the other 2012 SW sets we have seen pictures of (except for the planet sets, of course)? :)

Droids are hardly minifigs. It comes with a very unique Leia which makes the lack of more figures a non issue.
StoutFiles

Postby Solo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:21 am

StoutFiles wrote:Droids are hardly minifigs.

:O That's blatant discrimination and I for one will not stand of it! Luckily I'm already sitting down.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:09 pm

micro wrote:Why doesn't this set have 4 minifigs like all of the other 2012 SW sets we have seen pictures of (except for the planet sets, of course)? :)

I'm wondering why it doesn't have just two minifigures like it rightly should...
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Flynn wrote:

I'm wondering why it doesn't have just two minifigures like it rightly should...

You're not really wondering, are you?

I WISH I was wondering. ;)
Mister Ed

Previous

Return to Star Wars