[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - How to hang models?
template->_php_include(): File ././../wp-content/themes/custom/baseHeader.php does not exist or is empty

How to hang models?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

How to hang models?

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:43 am

So, I'm going to get the Venator and Star Destroyer set, but I really don't have a place to put them. I have seen people hand their sets from the ceiling, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/techniques.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr:
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Re: How to hang models?

Postby banthafodder » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:12 am

You could use 50# test fishing line. The Venetor would be fairly easy to hang using the handle but the ISD would be much more difficult. It doesn't seem to hold up under its own weight except on flat surfaces and seems like it would fall apart fairly easily if hung.
banthafodder

Postby Veynom » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 am

Unless you glue it. Simple glue for plastic scale modeling is extremely effective with Lego. I use it to repair broken pieces with success.
--
Veynom
*** This post is written on 100% recyclable electrons. ***
My MOC Page -
Star Wars Combine Online Game -
Veynom

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 am

Flickr:
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby StoutFiles » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:21 am

Hanging sets looks really tacky IMO. Buy a wall shelf and display it there for a classier result that won't take up space.
StoutFiles

Postby dWhisper » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:19 am

Hanging can look okay, so long as it fits to the motif, but you can get some pretty good wall shelves cheap, and they can look nice. For example, here are the shelves I use to display parts of my collection (and I usually only have maybe 20-25% of it put together at any time).

Both of those serve me well, and I make changes to them all the time (in fact, I've already made a change to the big one, and started putting together a Clone Wars scene. In total, both shelves probably ran me around $100-120, most of that in the actual boards themselves. Once you hang the rail and brackets, you're golden.

Outside of that, you never know when you can hit on a good piece of furniture at a flea market that can function as a stand as well. I picked up this little number for $50 at a flea market last year, and it was just perfect for my Falcon. Also, Slinky Dog.

If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Flickr:
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby dWhisper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:09 pm

The bigger problem you'll have with hanging any models is that the undersides of most LEGO sets these days look absolutely awful...
dWhisper

Postby RfAurora » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:14 pm

RfAurora

Postby Flynn » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Always remember- the enemy's gate is down.
Flynn

Postby StoutFiles » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:50 am

StoutFiles

Postby b4p » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:38 am

i'd like to put a UCS falcon flat on a wall above my computer monitor... that'd be awesome
b4p

Postby infallible » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

Hanging is not, inherently, tacky. It can look really nice (sometimes better than a shelf display) if you do it right, and can *really* help save shelf space.

You want to use at least two lines to hang it. That keeps it stable and from spinning around in a way you don't like. Find a couple solid places on the model where you can feed the line through. By messing with the way you tie it and the lengths of the two lines, you can make the ships look very dynamic and point them in a way that puts an ugly bottom in a place that's harder to see. Angling the front of the ship down will do this, and also can give a good visual presentation. Also, if you hang it so that the length of the ship (line going port to starboard) is off horizontal, then it adds a nice look as though the ship were flying at or coming past you.

The biggest that I've trusted to hang was the first Falcon. If you're talking about the "playset" ISD, then I can't recommend hanging that one. I kept that one on a shelf. It's just not solid enough to hang because it's got all the stuff on the inside that sacrifices the structure you'd use to hang. I can't speak to the Venator, since I don't have it, but my guess is that it has the same problems.
infallible

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Actually, I'd try to hang the Venator before the ISD. The Venator has a decently strong structure and likely could be displayed in that way. But since the bottom of that isn't anything to write home about, it would definitely have to be hung at an angle like infallible has suggested. I recently took down most of my hanging sets, as the "cave" is going to become my son's room. I always liked my corner display with 2 6206 TIE Interceptors going one direction, and 2 6207 A-Wings going the other way.

There's a method to hanging up SW sets: A lot of sets will need 3+ lines to hang it up and look proper. For example, 7658 Y-Wing - I had a line looped behind the cockpit and then around the pylons, next to where the engines attach. Three lines up to a central point, adjust the angles, tie it off and then slide onto a cup hook or a similar attachment and that would be a good display. Very light sets (Cloud car, 1st tri-fighter, droid fighters/Vulture droids) can be hung up with 1-2 lines and a push pin.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Robzula » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:35 pm

I tried hanging my Star Destroyer awhile ago. I was mostly worried of it pulling out the hooks, so I made sure to put up plenty of them to distribute the weight. They did their job and stayed in the ceiling/wall, but then the Star Destroyer itself caved in on itself and shattered. Unless you MOC up a really great structure for the interior of that thing, I'd suggest against hanging it.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Mofo Jones » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:02 am

I love the look of the 6211 (especially at $60 Target Black Friday prices) but boy is it fragile. I don't even like to pick it up if I can help it. I've already reinforced the bottom with the quasi-official service pack for it, plus a few more spare plates from my parts inventory. I think the real problem with the set is that it isn't actually held together by much and could really use a slight MOC/redesign to integrate the attachment of the bottom hull and the engines with the strength of Technic frame.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby dWhisper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:01 am

There are a lot of ways to improve 6211 (thinking of that, I should get around to finding all my parts for that set and put it together before I buy my SSD), a lot can be done just by putting some additional plates the brace the bottom, and perhaps coming up with some better solutions for holding the plates in place. If you're willing to sacrifice the "playset" features of the set, you can make it look a lot better. By itself, it's not a bad looking set (save the lack of guns), but the play is what ruins it, specifically on the bridge, etc.
dWhisper

Postby RfAurora » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:40 pm

RfAurora

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:16 pm

RfAurora, I called LEGO about 2 years ago and explained my situation and that I'd heard of a service pack for this set- they were nice enough to send me a few plates and a photo instruction sheet of where they need to go. I ended up assembling a couple more of the service packs on my own - I think the plates are a couple of dollars on Pick A Brick. Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you the photo - I have it scanned in. The part numbers for the plates are called out on that sheet.

Actually, that goes for anybody - you want the sheet scan, shoot me a PM with an email and I'll get it to you.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Ton65 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:39 am

I think it's illegal to hang models, at least here in the Netherlands.
Ton65

Next

Return to Star Wars