Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Anyone mounted UCS MF on a motion TV mount?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Anyone mounted UCS MF on a motion TV mount?

Postby etcknight » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone's ever heard of, considered, or seen someone using one of those flat-panel TV wall mounts to display their UCS Millennium Falcon? I estimate the MF weighs about 25 lbs - so the mount should be capable of holding the weight without a problem. Mount like the one pictured has 30 degree tilt either way, 180 degree swivel. Costs about $30 USD. Thought this might be a good way to display the MF without taking too much shelf or floor space. Feedback?

etcknight

Re: Anyone mounted UCS MF on a motion TV mount?

Postby Andi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 am

sounds like a great idea. But how would you fix it on the mount?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby turtle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:57 am

Maybe stick a base plate on the mounting surface with contact adhesive, and then trim the profile with a piloted trim router?

But it would be supper sweat if you had the bracket in the same paint color as the wall, and moded the build so the MF could be attached by it's edge. It would look like it was skirting the fringe of your living room!
turtle

Postby StoutFiles » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:01 am

Yeah, the falcon wouldn't stay stuck to a baseplate with its weight.
StoutFiles

Postby etcknight » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:39 am

Andi wrote:sounds like a great idea. But how would you fix it on the mount?

My thought right now is, I'd attach some "L" shaped metal brackets to the panel portion of the mount with screws + bolts, then fix technic pieces with screws into the "L" brackets, and fasten the MF using these technic pieces linked into the MF's technic super-structure. Will have to play around with ideas once I have all the pieces in my hands. Thank goodness for Lowe's and Home Depot! :lol:
etcknight

Postby Solo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 am

I'm planning on making some sort of sideways wall mount for my UCS X-wing and Y-wing once I get my office straightened out, so I'm quite interested in what you come up with for this beast.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby etcknight » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:29 am

I remember seeing a photo awhile back where someone mounted their UCS MF directly onto the wall - but the mounting was static - similar to the picture below (yes, i know the picture is not of the Lego UCS). But, I'd like to have a little more movement with the mounting. Unfortunately, most fully articulated mounts that will hold the MF weight, can only pivot up to 30 degrees - which I guess is better than nothing.

etcknight

Postby etcknight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Finally got around to finishing this. See the updated topic at the link. :D
http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6446
etcknight

Postby deco_droid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:45 pm

i mounted my ucs falcon to the wall, it was easy. i just used the landing claw.
deco_droid

Postby Claw » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Now that's just dripping with awesomeness right there.

Great idea, and kudos to you for following through with it to completion.

I'm interested to see how well it holds up after a few months, years.. as it seems this Lego piece was designed to sit flat on a horizontal surface or something.. I should get my local machinist to make up something similar.
Claw

Postby etcknight » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 am

Claw wrote:I'm interested to see how well it holds up after a few months, years.. as it seems this Lego piece was designed to sit flat on a horizontal surface or something.. I should get my local machinist to make up something similar.

You're right that 10179 is built for display on a horizontal surface. The super-structure is actually fairly sturdy. To vertically mount, some of the upper outer panels and cockpit top need to be secured if you don't want everything falling off while you're mounting it. By extending the technic axle length, and using some technic bushes (see pic), you can fasten those panels. Not too hard to modify these parts. I did reinforce some more of the super-structure just to be sure. I'll post some more detailed photos and video when I get a chance.
etcknight

Return to Star Wars