Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2012, New TIE and Queen Amidala:Gamespot Comic Con Interview

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

2012, New TIE and Queen Amidala:Gamespot Comic Con Interview

Postby theDude » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Hey, just saw this interview on Gamespot

It says there's a new TIE fighter announced? First I've heard. Anybody know anything more?
theDude

Re: Gamespot Comic Con Interview

Postby sealslip3 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:22 pm

sealslip3

Postby theDude » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:45 pm

Sweet, looks much better than the original. Thanks for the link.
theDude

Postby Tyrant » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:34 pm

I like the new Tie Fighter. I wonder what it will cost with 4 figures? Kind of wish that were the new Imperial figure set (at least I assume that we will have one if they follow the pattern).

However, with the Gamespot title and the original comment of "looks better than the original", I really thought this was an announcement of a new Tie Fighter, the computer game. I got my hopes up there for a moment.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby sealslip3 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:03 am

I like it too- and with 4 figures my guess would be that it will cost around $50. But then again, I was surprised by how expensive this summer's wave was ($70 Sith Infiltrator???), so it may be even more expensive than that.
sealslip3

Postby Tyrant » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 am

sealslip3 wrote:I like it too- and with 4 figures my guess would be that it will cost around $50. But then again, I was surprised by how expensive this summer's wave was ($70 Sith Infiltrator???), so it may be even more expensive than that.

Man I hope not. I want a few of them to replace my blue ones so they match my TIE Defenders. And buying a few to stock up on those figures wouldn't hurt either. Of course, if the Death Star/Naval Trooper is in a troop builder set next year I won't need as many TIE Fighters.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Re: 2012, New TIE and Queen Amidala:Gamespot Comic Con Inter

Postby Avenged110 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:42 pm

I made it to the panel. It was pretty cool, really looking forward to the new TIE but kind of scared about the price. Got some pics below;

ImageImage
Avenged110

Postby meat1980 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Glad you guys found my pics on eurobricks. Sorry my buddy Mofo jones was busy when I emailed them to him to post on here like he did with the super heroes line.
meat1980

Postby onions » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:12 pm

thanks for taking them. feel free to use the contact us button too. that goes out to all the admins.

that TIE fighter, i don't know man, it looks someone's MOC from before lego even made any star wars sets. i'm really not digging the cockpit ball at all. i think a lowell sphere design would have been better to achieve that spherical look. overall, the proportions don't seem right, i can't put my finger on it... if it wasn't for the figs, this would have been an easy pass for me. it'll probably end up being 60 bucks for 200 pieces or so given their recent trends of pricing.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 pm

@avenged: one of your pics is busted. do you have anymore?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Crash » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:21 pm

I hope this means a Naboo Royal Starship is on the horizon. I've always loved that ship- even got a Doug Chiang concept painting of it hanging on my wall. I would happily pay extra for it if it were done in chrome, although I realize that's unlikely.
Crash

Postby mr_joshua » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Here's an 'eh' picture from the panel...I should have borrowed your camera Ace. (or brought a real camera myself)
2012 LEGO SW Tie Fighter by mr_joshua1, on Flickr

The cockpit is one of those ball canopies like what they used on the rogue shadow.

I honestly liked this redesign compared with all the other re-do's we've had recently. Oh, and I spoke with the woman that lead the panel (can't remeber her name either) about the price and she stated that it would be in the 40 dollar range...so she said. Keeping my fingers crossed....
mr_joshua

Postby cas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 pm

If it was $40, I'd be impressed, but when I hear "$40 range" I hear $49.99.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Robzula » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:55 pm

onions wrote:that TIE fighter, i don't know man, it looks someone's MOC from before lego even made any star wars sets. i'm really not digging the cockpit ball at all. i think a lowell sphere design would have been better to achieve that spherical look. overall, the proportions don't seem right

Agreed. The wings are gorgeous but the cockpit looks way to blocky and angular and the bubble windscreen pops out too far. Hopefully it's still early in the design and they fix it, otherwise I might just change out the cockpit with one in the style of the 2006 Interceptor with the arms from the most recent TIE Advanced (which look gorgeous on my slightly modded Interceptor). If it is in the $40 price range (even at $49.99) it'll be a better price than I'd expect so it wouldn't even bother me too much.

Edit: Just looked up what a Lowell sphere is and, with a little modding, that would make an amazing TIE cockpit. I've been looking for a reason to break out my bricks, so I might just take a shot at it. Has anyone tried it before? I'd like to get some shots for reference.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby GIR3691 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:31 pm

I don't understand why with all the curved slopes we have now, they decided to make something that's supposed to be spherical out of angular "straight" slopes like that. The wings are great, but the cockpit will definitely have to be modded. $40-50 sucks for a ship that small, but I guess that's why we're getting three minifigs and a droid with a one-man starfighter with no droid slot.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:08 pm

onions wrote:that TIE fighter, i don't know man, it looks someone's MOC from before lego even made any star wars sets. i'm really not digging the cockpit ball at all... if it wasn't for the figs, this would have been an easy pass for me. it'll probably end up being 60 bucks for 200 pieces or so given their recent trends of pricing.

Bingo. Outside of the wings (which look nice in some ways, not-so-nice in others), the rest of that model looks VERY piecemeal, to put it politely. You're also probably right in that they'll want easily $50 for 200-300 parts, which is criminal (I don't care what the pricing trends are, that's simply too much money for what's in that box). Probably only worth picking up on deep-discount, just like the TIE Defender.

I also am not keen on this new trend of including 28 figures with each and every set. It works - and is even welcome - with many of the playsets. But it's frustrating to buy these ships and only be able to fit one or two of the five/six figs that are included. The rest just end up sitting loose somewhere. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:33 pm

onions wrote: i'm really not digging the cockpit ball at all. i think a lowell sphere design would have been better to achieve that spherical look.

My thoughts exactly:

fallenangel327

Postby sparkart » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Apparently, sturdiness and ease of construction were the drivers for the design, at the expense of aesthetic appeal and fidelity. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a Picasso cubism interpretation of a TIE fighter. I've changed my mind about it...it's high art. ;)
sparkart

Postby onions » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 pm

next year, i need one of you guys to save me a seat so i'm not turned away at the door. i had no idea the room would fill up so fast.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Sydag » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:10 am

I agree with you guys, cockpit just doesn't seem right, lowell sphere is indeed way more accurate. Wings are nice though, however I really got a strange feeling while looking at them, especially about the grey contour... Looks familiar :roll:
But maybe I'm paranoid ^^

Odd Manka Cat by Sydag, on Flickr
Sydag
Mashup Man

Next

Return to Star Wars