Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Official Announcement: 10221 Super Star Destroyer Executor

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Official Announcement: 10221 Super Star Destroyer Execut

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:39 pm

I recall the UCS Falcon going as low as $250 at one point. The others all had sale prices as well.

I've been grappling with this set. I was able to check it out in person at Brickworld Chicago today and fiddle with the minifigures. The minifigs are a real letdown. Dengar is a step in the wrong direction IMO. We really didn't need a new one of him or IG-88. Since they couldn't do 4-Lom or Zuckuss, they should have just made this a straight UCS set and somewhere down the line done a SSD set in the vein of the Home One set, with a proper command bridge, a hangar (with the IG-2000, or a Tie Interceptor or something) and maybe a gunner station. That way we could get 4-Lom and Zuckuss, which I can't see how we will ever get now.

At $400 it is way overpriced. Without the figs or command bridge feature I'm sure it would be down to around $350 at least. It's a pretty cool model but lacks the wow factor necessary for such a purchase. I think those stupid minifigs they included really throw you off and make it seem less impressive than it really is. Simply having them standing near it remind you that it is a drastically smaller scale and hinders the impressiveness of the model itself.

UCS purists can easily modify this to remove the command bridge and sell off the minifigs, bringing the set down to the price is should have been from the start.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SSD. This set, however really isn't doing anything for me. Maybe a MIDI scale will tickle my fancy, so long as they don't include any minifigs with that one either (unless it's the missing bounty hunters!)
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby vwgti303 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:54 pm

GIR3691 wrote:I recall the UCS Falcon going as low as $250 at one point. The others all had sale prices as well.

Well crap. There goes my logic then...oh well, I guess I'm just going to get it for no other reason than I think it looks fun!
vwgti303

Postby AZ Trooper0013 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:09 am

When you consider that the Imperial Shuttle (Set #10212) goes for around $260, it shows that the price of the little plastic bricks has been steadily going up for a while now. $400 really isn't that big of a surprise to me.
AZ Trooper0013

Postby lowlead » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:50 am

I'm trying to remain open-minded about the cost of LEGO these days. I'm not looking forward to paying 400 bucks for this set, but it's neat and I want it. So if this is the price TLG needs to set in order to maintain their desired profit margin, thereby enabling them to continue releasing great quality stuff, so be it.

Some may scoff at my simplistic logic, but I'm giving a good company the benefit of the doubt. Predatory pricing and LEGO just aren't two things I associate, that's all.
lowlead

Postby harrison » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Well i hope the USA has it on sale and then i may be persuaded to import it, as £236 is still a bit high for me to consider this a must buy
harrison

Postby Inzane » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:24 am

Well, you probably know what I'm going to say......

Sigh... make up your mind Lego!! Is this set supposed to be a system playset, or a UCS model? You can't have it both ways.

As excited as I am that they are actually making a set of this awesome ship, I wish they wouldn't continue to dilute the good UCS name. (by stuffing minifigs in any chance they can, in sets that have no business having minifigs.)

If you intend a set to be a complex, to-scale model, marketed at 16+, try to stick to the task at hand.
Inzane

Postby Prometheus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:24 pm

I know this is an expensive set and it has some issues.... All I can say is... This set single handedly got me back into collecting Legos... I think it rocks !! XD
Prometheus

Postby FirstCircle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Well, let's face it folks. LEGO is just more expensive now. They've fought off inflation for a loooong time, but now it's catching up. At 400 smackers, I'm not too appalled. I'm not excited to pay more for LEGO, but I'm not surprised either. The UCS ISD would probably be 400 USD if released today. I think this might actually be a better model. Maybe.

The OG UCS ISD looks amazing, but it has "the sag of death". This contrasts that by looking very sturdy and well balanced. It also looks like more fun to put together (the UCS ISD is only fun when when start to build the bridge... the frame and panels are mind numbingly tedious to construct). I don't know if I'm keen on the dark and light grey. I think I'd like just all light grey... but I've only seen photos online as of yet.

The inclusion of figures seems kind of random, but I think what sells is mini-figs and vehicles. Yeah, it might have been a little cheaper without the figs, but then they probably wouldn't have released it. I think this is the new trend with UCS sets. Lord knows I'm more inclined to pick up sets with figs and some playability. I've said as much before and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'll bet LEGO's market research has indicated that UCS + mini-figs = larger market.

I do have to agree that the figure selection is goofy. The IG-88 and Dengar that came with the 6209 Slave-1 looked good. I don't think these are an improvement. 4-Lom and Zuckuss would have been way better. I agree with everyone here on that count. Bossk is a very cool fig, but I've already got one.

My main issue is the size. 50 frickin' inches! Yipes! Where the Hell would I put that?! The UCS ISD is too big for me to display and that's roughly 36 inches in length. I don't see me getting this strictly because of the size. It looks pretty nice (especially the thrusters), but I just don't have the display space for it.

It would also be a pain in the toosh to dust this mutha!
My BrickLink store, Jabberwocky's Emporium.
FirstCircle

Postby Inzane » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:11 am

2002+
# 10030
3108 pcs
$299.99 USD (9.7 cents/piece)
$399.99 CDN (12.9 cents/piece)

2011+
# 10221
3152 pcs
$399.99 USD (12.7 cents/piece)
$499.99 CDN (15.9 cents/piece)

Given inflation etc. over a decade, I can almost forgive the price increase over the old UCS ISD.

What I can't forgive Lego for today in the current economy is charging Canadians a 25% premium over the American price, especially when our dollar has been 1-2 cents OVER par consistently for well over a year now.

WTH Lego group!!! >8(
Inzane

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Inzane wrote:What I can't forgive Lego for today in the current economy is charging Canadians a 25% premium over the American price, especially when our dollar has been 1-2 cents OVER par consistently for well over a year now.

WTH Lego group!!! >8(

What he said, but with more fist shaking.
buriedbybricks

Postby Bellicose » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Well, you Canuck guys get free health care while I have to pay into my health insurance big-time, so... XD
Bellicose

Postby Inzane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:05 am

Bellicose wrote:Well, you Canuck guys get free health care while I have to pay into my health insurance big-time, so... XD

Our health care isn't free. Who the heck told you that?

Our health care costs are covered by tax dollars and employer benefits.

What that means is the average citizen here IS paying to support the health system, whether they are using it or not. MY tax dollars are helping to keep idiot smokers alive, for example.
Inzane

Postby cas » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:19 am

Does anyone happen to know the height of this thing? I've been searching and all I can find is the length. I need to know the maximum height to determine if it will fit where I want to display it. I don't want to build it only discover I have no place to put it. Well, technically I don't have a place to put it now, I'll have to build a shelf as well, but that won't matter if the SSD is too tall. Thanks much.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Bellicose » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Looks like a little over 10 inches, according to my tape measure. The two highest points are the bridge tower and the upper stern.

It looks awesome, btw. I love it. Displayed it on top of a bookcase...if there's a big earthquake in Cali I'll have a lot to cry about, but the shape of my legos will probably be the least of my problems at that point!
Bellicose

Postby cas » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Great, thanks. That's cutting it a little close, but I think I might be able to manage. I have a space of about 11 1/2 inches from top to bottom so I should be able to squeeze this guy in there with almost no space to spare. Basically, if anyone's interested, I have a TV stand my dad built a few years ago for a large TV. The TV stand is two sides and a top shelf and a lower shelf for the TV and players/game consoles. I have video games and dvds in the side shelving and on top I have a few other UCS sets displayed. Since I no longer have the TV the stand was built for and a smaller TV in its place, I've been left with a large gap between the top shelf and the top of the TV, giving me room, hopefully, to add a second shelf below it and a place to put the SSD and perhaps another set or two.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby lowlead » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I had a similar concern, so I modified the display stands for an overall height of 8 inches...piece of cake if you don't like the tight fit on your TV stand.
lowlead

Previous

Return to Star Wars