Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2012 Box Art

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 2012 Box Art

Postby StoutFiles » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:55 am

cas wrote:
Also, in the interview in the Starwars.com link in the OP, since Maul is confirmed to return in the Clone Wars, this reinforces Maul's return is purely a marketing strategy. You've got the film front with Episode I 3D and the TV front with kids being introduced to Maul in the Clone Wars. It's a shame its such a terrible image of Maul. He should at least be in a wheelchair.

Maul is one of the most resurrected characters in SW. He's come back to fight Vader and was killed by him, he's come back to fight Obi-Wan and was killed by Uncle Owen, he's come back as a force ghost to annoy Luke. He keeps coming back because of his perceived "coolness" which translates to sales.

As for the wheelchair comment, he gets cybernetic legs in the comics. Kinda like Grevious.

But I don't acknowledge any of that nonsense, he died in Episode 1 and that's that, the EU and CW are hardly canon. I rarely acknowledge the prequels anyways but that's another story.
StoutFiles

Postby Crackseed » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:08 am

Ugh. Why change something that isn't broken in the first place? The Star Wars packaging could probably use some updating, but I think the current lines and design are quite clean and spot-on.

Nevermind if you're going to plaster someone's face all over a box, it should at least be a good image instead of "I'M STRAINING VERY HARD HERE TRYING TO BE FIERCE RAWR" >.>

I kind of hope they go back to the drawing board for it or at least get a change of heart. I don't think that conveys or captures the right feel for the awesome that is Star Wars LEGO.
Crackseed

Postby dWhisper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:06 pm

The ugliness of that box perfectly matches the ugliness of recent sets.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Joedward » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:39 am

Crackseed wrote:Ugh. Why change something that isn't broken in the first place? The Star Wars packaging could probably use some updating, but I think the current lines and design are quite clean and spot-on.

You know just about every line of Star Wars products have changed box art and design maybe every one or two years, right?

I personally would like to see more box art representing the OT. Aside from the few special editions, the ones last year with similar art to the original sets, I can't remember the last, proper, OT designs. I'm just bored with the CW, and have been for a while.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Drock » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:08 am

dWhisper wrote:The ugliness of that box perfectly matches the ugliness of recent sets.

:lol:

I don't really like the Darth Maul. While cool, he was too minor of a character. Seeing Darth Maul doesn't scream "Star Wars" the way that the older box art has. Darth Vader is the best choice, and the original LSW with the main characters in minifig form.

I understand, though. As mentioned in the first post, it is to pimp out the 3d Phantom Menace. Kids who make up the majority of the toy consumers are too young to have seen The Phantom Menace in theaters in '99.
Drock

Postby DarthR2-D2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:25 pm

dWhisper wrote:The ugliness of that box perfectly matches the ugliness of recent sets.

Tousche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy. And we shall have peace." ~Darth Sidious
DarthR2-D2

Postby cas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

StoutFiles wrote:But I don't acknowledge any of that nonsense, he died in Episode 1 and that's that, the EU and CW are hardly canon. I rarely acknowledge the prequels anyways but that's another story.

That's how I feel about the matter. I saw Maul die, therefore he's dead. He was chopped in half, plus he fell down an excessively deep shaft. If Maul survived that, then I guess Mace Windu is still alive, too. Not to mention Emperor Palpatine and Boba Fett. (Yeah, I know about these two. If I think to much about their post-RotJ stories, my eyes might roll out of my head). Has anyone written a Porkin's resurrection story yet?

If Lucasfilm Licensing really wants to use Maul, why didn't they choose a more iconic pose? I wouldn't mind a brooding, hooded Maul. I see that in my mind when I think "Darth Maul." That is infinitely more sinister, not to mention interesting, than this angry, fangy cartoon. The pose doesn't even look natural.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Indeed.

Drock wrote: Kids who make up the majority of the toy consumers are too young to have seen The Phantom Menace in theaters in '99.

Man, sometimes I wonder why they're still holding on to this license when nobody in the target market knows anything about it anymore. But we all know the answer, it's like Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money. :facepalm:
fallenangel327

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:Man, sometimes I wonder why they're still holding on to this license when nobody in the target market knows anything about it anymore. But we all know the answer, it's like Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money. :facepalm:

Haven't you realized yet that George Lucas is the biggest sellout ever? :lol:
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Blacknight » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:23 pm

Drock wrote:
I understand, though. As mentioned in the first post, it is to pimp out the 3d Phantom Menace. Kids who make up the majority of the toy consumers are too young to have seen The Phantom Menace in theaters in '99.

Then shouldn't they be putting Jar-Jar on the boxes? After all, Lucas created Mr. Binks specifically to appeal to the kids. Or not. Now that I think about it, Jar-Jar might actually be less offensive than this Maul art.

Also I love this line from the StarWars.com interview: "In order to properly design line looks for boys entertainment, you must direct and work closely with artists who 'get it' when it comes to creating striking images for this genre." Sorry, but I don't think they 'get it' at all. I'm a little boy at heart and me no likey this. If they want good SW art they should go back and take something from Topp's Star Wars Galaxy cards from the '90s.
Blacknight

Postby Crackseed » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:19 am

Blacknight - well said :) The current and past packaging is far better then that new atrocity being kicked out. I don't get how anyone even looks at that and thinks it looks good. I mean there's a million ways you COULD put Maul on there and make him look cool. But no, let's go with constipated "grrrr" face >.>
Crackseed

Postby badgerboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:49 am

Gotta say I like the Darth Maul header, the film was lousy, but Maul stole the show and makes that end fight scene worth watching... even now, I see Darth Maul's disposal as being the first indicator to me that Lucas didn't have a clue what he was doing.

A quote from Black books, one of my favourite comedy series expresses my opinion beautifully "he's a beard with an idiot hanging off of it".
new flickr folder
old brickshelf
badgerboy

Previous

Return to Star Wars