Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Toy Fair This Sunday!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Toy Fair This Sunday!

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Minifigs are horrible. A lot of them don't even look like Lego anymore (coughcoughmegablockscoughcough). The minifigs have really been going downhill since summer '10.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby bigj22 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:10 pm

I disagree respectfully. I think the minifigs have improved a lot. They are getting better details for sure and the molds have been great too.
bigj22

Postby Brickweiser » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:31 pm

bigj22 wrote:I disagree respectfully. I think the minifigs have improved a lot. They are getting better details for sure and the molds have been great too.

I agree, a good chunk of the new figures are amazing. I won't say anything about CW, because I'm biased. The only recent OT or PT figure I've hated was General Veers, but that was because he was obviously slapped together.

Whoa, Guy. Comparing Lego with Megablocks, that's downright blasphemy ;). Seriously though, it's 100% unfair to say quality have gone low enough to say the figures are on par with megablocks. After seeing a couple sets opened, I got depressed over the good plastic that was wasted and could have been better utilized by Lego. No clutch and poor paint jobs. Thankfully, I've never bought any myself.
Brickweiser

Postby Flynn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:10 pm

My problem is how pointless the redesigns are. I mean, a set redesign I'm beginning to understand the reasons behind, logistically and business-wise, and as far as figures like Sebulba or Watto, whose new figures are merely reprints or recoloring of single hunks of plastic, I consider those an improvement. I honestly don't see the point in all of a sudden giving us a brand new Han, Leia, or Qiu-Gon, when the previous designs were working well for about 10 years (And in the case of Leia and Qui-Gon are drastic steps down), and why we need brand new rebel troopers and imperial stormtroopers.

And then I've continually disliked how absurdly detailed the Star Wars figures are now. It really isn't that bad a problem in the other lines, but in the Star Wars line it's ridiculous. These are out-of-proportion, simplistically-designed people- their intent is not to be detailed to the point of an action figure. And then the new molds- what is up with that stupid Ki-Adi-Mundi figure? I mean, really?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Brickweiser » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Flynn wrote:And then the new molds- what is up with that stupid Ki-Adi-Mundi figure? I mean, really?

Clone Wars ... that's why. You're focusing on an issue in the clone wars line thats been voiced since that line came it.
Brickweiser

Postby Flynn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm

The printing is definitely a fault of those horrid CW faces (Which still relate to my main point- what else but an overemphasis on detail made those faces so atrocious?), but I'm referring more to the mold of the head itself, which, IMO, is far too detailed and far too much like an action figure than a minifigure.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Gooker1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 am

I actually love the molds! Keep 'em coming...buuut, I do hate the crazy eyse of the CW line. Skulpt - AAAA+++++ Faces - A big Meh.
Gooker1

Postby schlectus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Actually, I agree that some of the minifigs are getting a little too detailed. Those of us that are old enough to remember: which do you prefer, the old-school Kenner action figures or the newer releases? ("old-school" is obviously the correct answer! :D) There's a little bit of beauty in simplicity...while I do like the new Boba Fett minifig (for example), I also prefer the older one...it looks like what LEGO should look like. The new one is cool, don't get me wrong...but I don't want to see LEGO go too far in the direction of realism with their figures.

That being said, it's also possible to go too far in the simplistic direction. (I'm looking at you, Aldar Beedo.)
My Bricklink store: Pyramid Deliveries
schlectus

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 pm

You know, to be fair, the only SW action figure I ever cared about was my R2, and he looks about the same.

But I do agree on the molds, and do not especially care for them. They add too much detail to a toy that has made it's mark with simplicity. Go look at what makes the Star Wars LEGO games so stylistic and memorable... it's not amazingly detailed heads, but capturing that LEGO aesthetic. The further it moves away from that on the head, the more it looks out of places compared to the rest of the parts. Detailed printing is one thing, because the torso shape hasn't changed. But how far are we away from them actually changing the minifig hand to have fingers for that extra bit of realism?
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:39 pm

dWhisper wrote:But how far are we away from them actually changing the minifig hand to have fingers for that extra bit of realism?

Is it just me, or did I see fingers on Hagrid's hand in one of the Toyfair pics?

Sure looks like 3 fingers and a thumb, to me. So to answer your question: not very far. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:53 pm

That's the exception though, not yet the rule. Those hands are like twice the size of regular minifig hands.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Draykov wrote:Those hands are like twice the size of regular minifig hands.

Are they really? I had no idea (don't own any HP). I guess that explains that, anyway. But hopefully it doesn't become a trend.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Actually, I made the same mistake in thinking that they added fingers for Hagrid, but nope, the original mold had them as well, being based off of the Jack Stone figures. I think it's just the new flesh-colored hands that make the fingers more noticeable.

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby FarkonGnome » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:55 am

Surprised no one mentioned this "toy", Han Solo in Carbonite ice tray: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/02/freeze-your-own-han-solo-in-carbonite-ice-or-chocolate/
FarkonGnome

Postby Lord Atmo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Prices turned me away from the line for several years and continue to do so. The AT AT sets perfectly illustrated that mess. Older one was over 1000 parts at $99.99, the new one is around 800 at $119.99. thats just not right. looks worse than the 2003 offering too.

I dreamed of seeing more podracers and now we get this nifty set. Only one problem.

...It costs the exact same as the original....And in fact does NOT come with a Gasgano this time around. Pay the same, receive less!

Mos Espa Podrace had 895 parts, this set has 810. It's pretty close I guess, but I sure hope it's worth the buy
Lord Atmo

Postby MisterFubar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Lord Atmo wrote:...It costs the exact same as the original....And in fact does NOT come with a Gasgano this time around. Pay the same, receive less!

It's called inflation. What cost you $1 in 1999 costs about $1.35 today.
MisterFubar

Postby dWhisper » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Inflation would only be part of the mix, there are also economies of scale and supply/demand that factor into the price. Given how much larger LEGO's market is compared to '99, one would have expected prices to stay pretty static (on par with similar goods). LEGO makes far more sets and has more common parts and tighter controls on specialization, and those pieces would cost less to make with the higher volume of sets that sell now compared to when LEGO first launched Star Wars.

That being said, it fits more with how other Star Wars things have gone, like action figures, which have eroded their own market share by adding too many variants or lines to the market. Unfortunately, LEGO doesn't have other serious contenders in the building toy space. Hard to say in the end how the price all fits.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby bigj22 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:30 pm

honestly, please stop the whining about the prices ( blah blah blah ) and the costs ( blah blah blah ). We go thru this every single time a set is released. Quite honestly it's a waste of time reading the posts. I am looking for useful or exciting info. Not whining about the same thing over and over. I appologize if I am coming across harsh but enough already.
bigj22

Postby cas » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Discussing or whining about the prices of sets (or anything, really) is a natural side-effect of a wave of newly release information. The price of a set is, after all, a part of a set. As consumers, we should be encouraged to actively discuss the cost of what we purchase, this hobby included. People have simply noticed a continued trend of increasing prices and wished to voice their feelings and opinions on the matter. This is a discussion board, right? To stop talking about it may be less annoying, sure, but then how would we voice our disapproval? Maybe Lego will address these concerns, or not. Besides, it isn't like Lego prices are the only prices people are discussing/whining about. It's a sign of this economic era. I'm sorry it gets in the way of your perilous quest for exciting information.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 pm

I appreciate where you're coming from bigj22, reading the same complaints every time a new wave is revealed got old years ago. But expecting people not to complain is quite the fantasy. It's just the nature of the hobby. And they've a right to complain as much as you've a right to complain about them complaining.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars