Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Toy Fair This Sunday!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Toy Fair This Sunday!

Postby Brickweiser » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm

cas wrote:
Draykov wrote:Well, it's official. LEGO Star Wars pricing is insane.

I was blown away when I saw $70 for the Infiltrator. I was really looking forward to it. Talk about a buzz kill. Same with the Ewok Attack. $25, are you nerfing kidding me?

That's really not bad considering 8088 ARC-170 is 396 pcs for 59.99 (79.99 CDN)

So ARC was .16 cents/piece (.20 cents/piece CDN)
Infiltrator is under .15 cents/pieces (and assuming it will be 89.99 CDN: just under .19 cents/piece CDN)

Pricing seems fine to me and I honestly expected Ewok Attack to cost that much. No surprise.
Brickweiser

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:12 pm

It may not be a surprise given recent trends, but those prices are not good...not for my money anyway.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby jomandybri » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PH02o4kGAhc HD Video of the Falcon at the Toy Fair. I'm sure there's videos for the other sets now if you look around.
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby cas » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Based on the coverage so far, it doesn't appear that the new Naboo Starfighter, rumored Echo Base, or the Advent Calendar made an appearance. So, I'm going to assume the Naboo Starfighter & Echo Base are retailer exclusives and the Advent Calender is a S@H exclusive.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Oh dear gosh...they just have to put flick-fire on EVERYTHING.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby brownie69yov4 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:35 pm

so I am trying to think back to other years, but since the show goes on for another 3 days, is it possible we will see additional sets later in the week like the naboo starfighter or hoth set? My gut tells me no, because that would make much sense really when it comes to publicity.

br()wnie
brownie69yov4

Postby J30spiff » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Draykov wrote:It may not be a surprise given recent trends, but those prices are not good...not for my money anyway.

I agree, the only reason I got the 8088 ARC-170 was it was 50% off at WM. I'll be waiting for a great sale before I consider getting the new Sith Infiltrator.
J30spiff

Postby zwolya » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:50 pm

How about the 7877 Naboo Starfighter? It's slightly more of a reality than the Hoth Echo Base set because minifig images have been leaked, but still no Toy Fair confirmation...
zwolya

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:16 pm

zwolya wrote:How about the 7877 Naboo Starfighter? It's slightly more of a reality than the Hoth Echo Base set because minifig images have been leaked, but still no Toy Fair confirmation...

Patience.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Chief » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:28 am

Naboo fighter and Hoth Base were no-shows, and the Advent Calendar was pulled from the floor because someone decided they wanted the public unveiling to be at Comic-Con in June. We did get price confirmation on the SW advent calendar though: $39.99 USD. And it will include 8 minifigures and 16 mini models. :)
They also pulled most of the Cars product off the shelves before we got in there, but you can still see some of the sets in the press catalog they allowed us to share here
Chief

Postby Crusader » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:45 am

The pricing does seem a little high especially on the smaller sets. However a liitle patience sometimes pays off. The last Hoth base set sold for as little as $15 at one point, so my advice is wait for a good sale.

$40 for the Advent calendar doesn't surprise me. Eight minifigs is pretty good (granted at least one is a battle droid).
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Joedward » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 am

I know this point has been repeated sooooooo many times, mostly by me, but seriously, what gives with the Ki Adi Mundi figure? LEGO have squandered their opportunity to give us a perfect figure. And I say that knowing it'd be with the clone wars face design. Would it not have been cheaper to design a double sized head? Cheaper to make the mold?
Ki Adi Mundi was one of my favourite aspects of the video games, and quite a lot of that came from the uniqueness of his head. It fit with LEGO's style, it was cute, and it would have been awesome. Clone wars face aside, that is one ugly mold, is more reminiscent of Hasbro than LEGO and doesn't even look that accurate anyway.

/nerdrage

Anyhow, that aside, I'm on the fence about the Sith Inifiltrator; from the outside it looks like a decent set, but when open it seems to lack all substance. The figs leave something to be desired as well. I'm thrilled to see a Padme in flesh tone, but the others... they just don't seem to fit with me. Why'd the change Qui Gon's face design, why does Panaka look like a clone, [repeated rant about stupid horns on Maul]. Lets hope price drops a bit on that one. I'm interested, but it's no definite buy.
The Endor set looks a bit messy, but still fun. Is that another new design for the speeder? Cool new Ewok though.
Box art for the advent calendar looks pretty darn cool.
And then there are some awesome looking must-buys from PotC, Cars and Alien Conquest.

Still curious to see what other sets might show up. And that life size Lightning McQueen is, clichéd or not, epic.

^^^^ TGWTB, I think they think that we think it adds playability... or something.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby thepatient » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11 am

Slightly off topic-

So, I was flipping through the channels on TV this morning, and caught something interesting. Normally I don't watch much FOX News, but I stopped to watch coverage about this Toy Fair. The reporter was in the LEGO display area and showing the different sets. As he and the camera man come around a corner and pan right, there is a small group of people talking to each other. I could have sworn I saw Chief (wearing an orange shirt?) and Onions (trying to discreetly move out from the line of sight of the camera). I'm just wondering if that really was you two.

Great coverage on this Toy Fair in the forums by the way. I always look forward when this comes up every year.
Last edited by thepatient on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby MrCRskater » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 am

Draykov wrote:Well, it's official. LEGO Star Wars pricing is insane.

Short and to-the-point, I like it. After seeing the pricing on some of the summer wave of SW sets, it feels like our money is only going half as far as it did even just 2 years ago! >:(

For example:
(2008) 7672 Rogue Shadow - 482 pcs + 3 figs/$49.99
(2008) 7678 Droid Gunship - 329 pcs + 3 figs/$29.99
(2009) 7748 Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - 216 pcs + 4 figs/$24.99
(2009) 7753 Pirate Tank - 372 pcs + 3 figs/$39.99
(2009) 8019 Republic Attack Shuttle - 636 pcs + 3 figs/$59.99

(2011) 7959 Geonosian Starfighter - 155 pcs + 3 figs/$29.99?!
(2011) 7961 Sith Infiltrator - 479 pcs + 4 figs/$69.99?!
Joedward wrote:And then there are some awesome looking must-buys from PotC, Cars and Alien Conquest.

Ditto'd. And two of those lines are also licensed, but the pricing is much more reasonable than the SW stuff. Seems like Disney has a better grasp on what folks are willing to pay. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby bigospedros » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:15 am

PLEASE let's not turn this thread into YET ANOTHER pricing debate!

The prices are the prices, deal with it or wait for a sale.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby eriochrome » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am

So if you turn the inflitrator upside down does the whole front flap fall down. What about the hinges on the Falcon?
eriochrome

Postby cas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 pm

eriochrome wrote:So if you turn the inflitrator upside down does the whole front flap fall down. What about the hinges on the Falcon?

I'm sure it's a simple fix, unless there is something in place that wasn't evident in the videos or pics. Though, for $70+, you'd think there would be. As for the Falcon, the hinges on the previous version are fairly sturdy, but if you decide to be overly swooshy they do flap open. The covering flap between the mandibles always fall open though, so no fancy maneuvers while escaping the the Imperials unless you want smuggled goods all over the floor. The new hinges look slightly different through.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby theone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 pm

nigago fire temple sword is it holdable

in a lego person i mean
theone

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:17 pm

bigospedros wrote:PLEASE let's not turn this thread into YET ANOTHER pricing debate!

The prices are the prices, deal with it or wait for a sale.

Why? Price is just as valid a topic of conversation as the pros/cons of design, figures, new pieces, or anything else related to the sets and shouldn't just be "dealt with". People have a perfectly valid point that the value's going down while prices are going up, and it can and should be talked about. If nothing else, it highlights that it should be a point for the ambassadors to pass on to LEGO.

I'm with Draykov on this one-- I'm done with the Star Wars line. It's just not worth it any more.

m19
Morgan19

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Ugn, prices are ridicidonky and the figs look ridiculous. Sets are nice, otherwise.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars