Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

A digression on Scalping...

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: A digression on Scalping...

Postby natelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

deco_droid wrote: i had several sets for sale on ebay last december. as it happens, i recieved a best offer bid on some batman lego, and decided to take it. it was probably $150 more than i paid for it. evil me, right? well, i got a message from the winning bidder later -- it was a mother who went on and on about how happy her son would be this christmas because of this one set. point is, scalpers are out there making kids happy too, you probably just don't hear about it as often.

i would agree with you. scalpers provide a valuable service for consumers of tomorrow. i'll come to that in a min.

in the us, ppl can get sw lego for cheaper than elsewhere in the world. and since s@h provide cheap shipping as well, there is no reason why any americans can't buy them when they were available.

if you put off buying a set when it's available thinking it can be bought later during a sale, well, don't come crying when it's gone.

now back to my point: when sets are sold out in the us, are you prepared to buy a flight ticket to europe or australia where the sets are not sold out to buy one at msrp? no, because the effort and cost of procuring one is higher than the set's worth?

what if you have relatives or friends there, would you not pay them a little more than cost for the effort to ship it to you?

if this comes out to the same price as what "scalpers" are charging, why would you have issue with scalpers and yet not when it was from your friend?

it's pure and simple envy. because in one instance, a single person is making a lot of money while in the other the profit is spreaded out to more ppl (foreign retailer, shipping company, your friend, etc).

you see, being rich is one of life's success and unconsciously we all compete to be successful. it's hard not to covet what your neighbor has. for someone to make a huge profit out of you, you would naturally be angry since you are a little worse off while the scalper a little better off.

why do you think there's so much hate right now over the bankers? it's because of the perception (whether true or otherwise) that they caused the recession and yet are paid much better than ordinary folks. while your 401k (or other retirement funds) is nosediving, you are thinking the greedy fatcats probably sold everything and got out before the market crashed. so when you're a little worse off, and you perceive the bankers to be a little better off, animosity develops. XD

The Brain wrote: So you don't post this again: scalping is immoral because it is intentionally done to take away MSRP sets from people who would buy them, solely to sell them at a higher price. Scalping may be smart--I don't argue about that--but I don't feel that hoarding items for yourself, only to sell them later once their price has gone up, is morally gratifying. If it is, then wonderful for you...

i think that's a flawed argument. every set sold by lego is available from S@H, not just from retail shops. you can make the "scalping" argument when retail stores are your only option but not when you can buy directly from the manufacturer. there is no such thing as limited stock since TLG can make as many as they want.

scalpers essentially forego current consumption in order to provide service to future consumers. they could have spent that money on themselves today but chose instead to buy stock so that in the future, someone else can spend on lego sets that are discontinued. that's the value add that scalpers bring to the table. XD
natelite

Postby speaknspell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:57 am

this thread has officially become too wordy for me to ready anymore. I'm certain its very interesting though :)

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Postby bigospedros » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:19 am

speaknspell wrote:this thread has officially become too wordy for me to ready anymore. I'm certain its very interesting though :)

Steve

haha ... indeed ... I'm finding that I'm only reading posts that fit onto half a screen! ;)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:46 am

I will admit to not having read every word of this thread, so I may be repeating something. If so, I apologize.

I just wanted to make a couple of points that I hadn't seen.

One, I have seen people discounting the notions that scalpers could seriously affect the supply because nobody could really buy enough of a set to make that a problem. It seems that people are treating this like it is an individual issue. Sure, one scalper could not realistically make a difference, but scalping in general CAN if there are several scalpers. How often is this the case? I have no idea.

Two, I have seen people admitting that scalping MIGHT effect local availability, but saying that it doesn't matter since people can still get the sets from S@H. Well, considering that unless you buy over $130 of merchandise at once you are paying more than 10% in markup (possibly more than 20% depending on the cost of the set(s)) through shipping charges, I'd say it is not unreasonable to state that forcing people to go on-line to get the sets by drying up local availabilty is not trivial.

That being said, at least where I live, it sure doesn't seem like scalping is a big enough problem to worry about. I have no idea how much of an issue it might be elsewhere. I happen to think toys should be bought to play with, but if somebody wants to treat them like an investment, that's fine with me, though I WOULD be more than a little annoyed with somebody that walked off with a store's entire supply of an item with the intention of selling it all for higher prices elsewhere.
Mister Ed

Postby Tyrant » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:05 am

I'll try to keep this short and non repetitive.
Mister Ed wrote: One, I have seen people discounting the notions that scalpers could seriously affect the supply because nobody could really buy enough of a set to make that a problem. It seems that people are treating this like it is an individual issue. Sure, one scalper could not realistically make a difference, but scalping in general CAN if there are several scalpers. How often is this the case? I have no idea.

I was wondering how long it would take for this argument to finally pop up (or pop back up if I missed it earlier). I have been anticipating it for a while. And, honestly, I think it is a valid argument. Like you, I can't say how the scalpers effect the supply as a whole. The cumulative effect on supply is one of the only arguments against scalping of LEGO I consider to have merit. It is based on possibilities, but they are at least within the realm of possibility. Personally, I don't think scalpers effect the overall life of any set. If they really did, there wouldn't be sets going on sale or clearance as often as they do because they would be bought out. Now, one could argue that the sets hitting those points aren't popular and that's why it's happening. I believe that to be false because the majority are the high dollar sets and people seem to be proud of themselves for finding them on sale. Even though I think it's a stretch, it has merit.
thepatient wrote:Two, I have seen people admitting that scalping MIGHT effect local availability, but saying that it doesn't matter since people can still get the sets from S@H. Well, considering that unless you buy over $130 of merchandise at once you are paying more than 10% in markup (possibly more than 20% depending on the cost of the set(s)) through shipping charges, I'd say it is not unreasonable to state that forcing people to go on-line to get the sets by drying up local availabilty is not trivial.

I don't think it's trivial. I also think you have part of this wrong. For S@H to truly cost the greater amount you state, the person has to be able to teleport to Wal Mart (because otherwise they are using time and/or money to get there and get home) and pay no taxes on the sets. In my state, the tax rate is 7% and the nearest Wal Mart is a half hour drive. The price is virtually identical for me and S@H has a far better selection. If it's TRU that's the store in question, S@H is cheaper even with shipping once you factor in the cost to get to TRU and tax because they are overpriced to begin with. Having said that, I understand someone being upset if they go to the store to buy something and it isn't there. But, that happens if anyone buys it, not just scalpers.
thepatient wrote:That being said, at least where I live, it sure doesn't seem like scalping is a big enough problem to worry about. I have no idea how much of an issue it might be elsewhere. I happen to think toys should be bought to play with, but if somebody wants to treat them like an investment, that's fine with me, though I WOULD be more than a little annoyed with somebody that walked off with a store's entire supply of an item with the intention of selling it all for higher prices elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure beyond hypothetical extreme cases, no one is really saying they walk off with the entire supply. I think that seems to be universally looked down upon so far in the thread. Obvious exception being if the number is quite low.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby LEGOscum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:10 am

bigospedros wrote:I'm finding that I'm only reading posts that fit onto half a screen! ;)

LOL.

I wonder if this fancy new forum software has a upper word count limit?

;)
LEGOscum

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 am

Tyrant wrote:I don't think it's trivial. I also think you have part of this wrong. For S@H to truly cost the greater amount you state, the person has to be able to teleport to Wal Mart (because otherwise they are using time and/or money to get there and get home) and pay no taxes on the sets. In my state, the tax rate is 7% and the nearest Wal Mart is a half hour drive. The price is virtually identical for me and S@H has a far better selection. If it's TRU that's the store in question, S@H is cheaper even with shipping once you factor in the cost to get to TRU and tax because they are overpriced to begin with. Having said that, I understand someone being upset if they go to the store to buy something and it isn't there. But, that happens if anyone buys it, not just scalpers.

Maybe my view on this is affected by my personal circumstances. I live in Oregon, where there is no sales tax. (And I had the impression that, if you live in a state that charges sales tax, you were supposed to pay that sales tax whether you ordered items or bought them in the store. I remember that being the case when I lived in Connecticut as a child, but perhaps that has changed?) Also, I generally buy LEGO at stores that I go to for other reasons as well, and that are often on my way to or from work, so the cost of getting to the store is minimal, and spread out over the total range of items I buy there. I can't remember the last time I made a special trip to a store JUST to get LEGO.
Mister Ed

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:50 am

ufjason wrote:Many of you are operating on the idea that the people you mistakenly call scalpers can have the effect you talk about. Stores carry these products for months! Other than the first few weeks of release where deliveries are ramping up, they are almost always solidly on the shelf. Go to target right now and tell me they don't have a few of each set you see a price tag for! Most of us who purchase for later resale do not buy at msrp! It doesn't make any sense for us and we are not competing for products on the shelf. Basically what we do is shift supply for those that want it but couldn't get it for whatever reason. I happen to live in a huge metro area where there are plenty of stores with Lego. When clearance time hits, there's hundreds of sets on clearance aisles. Some people live in a town that has one store and may have a few sets when clearance time hits. My bulk purchasing in my land of plenty allows me to supply buyers who live in the land of few. Kids that are heartbroken because a set is sold out should be angry at Lego for retiring it, the store for no longer carrying it or their parent for not buying it during the months that it was available for msrp. Everything you speak of requires incredible odds of being in the same store at the same time with limited supply. The situations you speak of simply don't occur in the real world. Everything Tamu and I have said about the free market do occur in the real world and are a basic part of our capitalistic society.

In fact, let's stop talking in theoretical ideas. For those of you who've been posting or lurking in this thread, I'd like you to reply with sets you want and can't find right now that are not retired. I'd like to know the set you can't get that should be on shelves but isn't because of the "scalper" problem. Of course, that's what the bstf thread is for but I think you get my point. If Lego is producing the set and it isn't retired, I can guarantee I can find you that set at msrp! It's an open challenge, and if I say I can find it in a store, I will either copy a store print out of stock availability or photograph the set in a store with a price tag for proof!

Amen.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:06 am

ufjason wrote:Many of you are operating on the idea that the people you mistakenly call scalpers can have the effect you talk about. Stores carry these products for months! Other than the first few weeks of release where deliveries are ramping up, they are almost always solidly on the shelf. Go to target right now and tell me they don't have a few of each set you see a price tag for!

Well, actually it happens quite a lot that I go to Target and see empty spaces on the shelf for sets, and even more so at Wal-mart and Fred Meyer. But I'm not prepared to blame that on scalpers, as I just don't have any direct observation to back that up. They could just be doing a lousy job at restocking. And I have yet to NEVER see a set on the shelves (a situation that I understand is OFTEN the case with things like action figures), it just often seems that some sets are there for a fairly short time before largely disappearing. The only time I have ever missed out on getting a set entirely is for sets that I was on the fence about and waited for a sale. And in THAT case, it seems reasonable to assume that I just missed out because I waited too long, not that scalpers bought up all the supply (especially since the stocking of the sets was already spotty.)
Mister Ed

Postby Tyrant » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:13 am

Mister Ed wrote: Maybe my view on this is affected by my personal circumstances. I live in Oregon, where there is no sales tax. (And I had the impression that, if you live in a state that charges sales tax, you were supposed to pay that sales tax whether you ordered items or bought them in the store. I remember that being the case when I lived in Connecticut as a child, but perhaps that has changed?) Also, I generally buy LEGO at stores that I go to for other reasons as well, and that are often on my way to or from work, so the cost of getting to the store is minimal, and spread out over the total range of items I buy there. I can't remember the last time I made a special trip to a store JUST to get LEGO.
As far as shipping and sales tax, I am not 100% clear on it. Here is how I understand it. If you order something over the phone or internet and the person or business is within your state, you pay sales tax. Even if they merely have offices in your state. So, this means places like TRU online also charge tax. If they don't have a facility (like LEGO, barring I think Tennessee) in your state, you aren't legally bound to pay tax and they usually don't charge (extra paperwork). Some people are rallying to change this at the moment to force people to pay taxes no matter the case. I am again not well read on this topic, but I believe the issue is that taxing like that violates some statutes (interstate commerce clause maybe) that basically say interstate commerce isn't taxed (I believe the reasoning is to prevent states from passing levies on each other). So, in my situation, there is no huge difference except time. This will obviously vary from person to person.

As for buying on a run for other goods, that is a good way to negate those factors. I am working under the assumption that some people go out just to buy LEGO. And as I said, I sympathise with someone who goes looking for something to find it sold out.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby Puddleglum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 pm

One thing that people seem to be missing is that if they don't like the high costs associated with buying a discontined set from a scalper, they should actually be hoping more people speculated on sets this way, not less. Here's a quick simplified hypothetical: LEGO makes a million billion copies of Super Awesome X-Wing Deluxe. They are available at retail for 1 year and everyone who wants one buys one, including one lonely "scalper", who buys 100 extra sets. Five years later, there are 1,000 new LEGO Star Wars fans who weren't into LEGO when the Super Awesome X-Wing Deluxe was released, and they all decide they want to buy the set. You now have 1,000 people chasing a supply of 100 sets - prices are going to be insane. But what if there were 100 scalpers who each bought 100 sets? Now you have 1,000 people chasing a supply of 10,000 sets - the scalpers are going to have to take what they can get, or keep money tied up in their inventory even longer.

I also don't understand this idea that if you find sets on sale, you should only buy one or two of them, and leave the rest for others. If I am walking down the sidewalk, and I see five $10 bills on the sidewalk, and there is nobody around who obviously could have dropped them, how many should I pick up, and how many should I leave sitting there? Does the answer depend on what I am going to do with the money?
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby natelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:29 pm

let's not forget amazon.com offers free shipping and virtually no sales tax for many states, and it carries almost all lego stocks including some not found in stores.

seriously, the hate is not from buying sets at MRSP. you get plenty of avenue and choices to buy at MRSP. i think the hate is from missing out on sales and cheap lego. XD

i moved to sydney about a year ago and let me tell you this... lego here sells faster than hotcross buns on easter. sales are harder to come by (you don't get crazy 50% off except for this year and only from S@H).

when i was still in the US, i never had any issue getting my sw sets from shops at below mrsp prices. and it's not like i clean out the shelves either. it's a little annoying for exclusive sets because not that many stores carry them but to say shipping charge from S@H is the killer is just silly. S@H held plenty of free shipping promos all year round. and there's also amazon.com as i mentioned before. and get this -- amazon has ucs millennium falcon for $400 a few months ago. i wonder how many missed that and now complain about "scalpers". they are just easy targets because ppl envy those who are better off then themselves. it's the "keeping up with the jones" syndrome.
natelite

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:37 pm

natelite wrote: it's a little annoying for exclusive sets because not that many stores carry them but to say shipping charge from S@H is the killer is just silly. S@H held plenty of free shipping promos all year round. and there's also amazon.com as i mentioned before. and get this -- amazon has ucs millennium falcon for $400 a few months ago.

I honestly didn't realize that Amazon had LEGO available with free shipping. Guess I'll have to check that out. I thought that most toys they had were through a "partner" and thus not eligible for free shipping.

I've only ever seen S@H free shipping on orders over $100. I'm sorry, but that is not exactly practical much of the time.

I will say that, from my perspective, if you never had any difficulty getting sets from retail at BELOW MSRP, you were lucky. My choices for retail around here are Wal-mart (which seldom has sales on LEGO), Fred Meyer, which OFTEN has sales, but has a less than stellar selection of sets, and has lately started EXCLUDING Star Wars from their LEGO sales sometimes, and Target, which also seldom has sales, and by the time they do, many sets have already been gone from the shelves for a bit. I don't even consider TRU, as they almost never have sales, and usually charge OVER MSRP, as well as being rather out of the way.
Mister Ed

Postby tamuhockey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Puddleglum wrote:I also don't understand this idea that if you find sets on sale, you should only buy one or two of them, and leave the rest for others. If I am walking down the sidewalk, and I see five $10 bills on the sidewalk, and there is nobody around who obviously could have dropped them, how many should I pick up, and how many should I leave sitting there? Does the answer depend on what I am going to do with the money?

As simplistic as that scenario is - that is the probably the best example for what is going on. There is "free money" out there, and in theory - everyone has the opportunity to be in a position where they could pick it up. Capitalistic market forces dictate that it has to be picked up eventually - and anti-scalper sentiment is just people upset that THEY THEMSELVES weren't the ones to pick it up.

If you only pick up one of the bills - you are forcing someone else to miss out. If you pick them all up - you are forcing everyone to miss out. If you don't stop to pick it up - you are letting someone else make the decision on whether to pick it up or not, and their decision could force 1 person, or more to miss out, creating a situation whereby you are indirectly enabling "scalping" behavior. All 3 options result in the same outcome (somewhere, someone is being forced to "miss out"), so from that standpoint, it doesn't matter what you choose, its just that option 1 or option 2 makes YOU a little bit richer. Somehow people have a problem with that (envy, I guess), regardless of the fact that they were going to be missing out on it in the first place. Someones got to be the one to "miss out," and they are upset that its them, instead of you.
tamuhockey

Postby natelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Mister Ed wrote: I honestly didn't realize that Amazon had LEGO available with free shipping. Guess I'll have to check that out. I thought that most toys they had were through a "partner" and thus not eligible for free shipping.

I've only ever seen S@H free shipping on orders over $100. I'm sorry, but that is not exactly practical much of the time.

I will say that, from my perspective, if you never had any difficulty getting sets from retail at BELOW MSRP, you were lucky. My choices for retail around here are Wal-mart (which seldom has sales on LEGO), Fred Meyer, which OFTEN has sales, but has a less than stellar selection of sets, and has lately started EXCLUDING Star Wars from their LEGO sales sometimes, and Target, which also seldom has sales, and by the time they do, many sets have already been gone from the shelves for a bit. I don't even consider TRU, as they almost never have sales, and usually charge OVER MSRP, as well as being rather out of the way.

well, you must be missing out on a lot of things then. amazon's selection is amazing. and amazon has 20% off during christmas sale as well.

i don't see why order above $100 is impractical. over in australia, shipping cost starts from A$25 (about US$16). orders above A$250 (US$160), will be charged A$45 (US$30) shipping. that means shipping markups are closer to 20% vs the us's of 5-10%. yet ppl here still buy from S@H and not as vocal. :p

my retailer choices are not that much different: TRU and target are my favorite and to a lesser extend, walmart. TRU has plenty of BOGO 50% or B2G3 free. yes, they do charge more than MSRP but when you have BOGO or B2G3, it's still below MSRP. target has 20% or sometimes coupon if you subscribe to their email distribution list. and during clearance, target will drop to 35% first, then 50% then 75%. i was able to nab several SW sets at 75% no prob.

also, i used to get cheap lego from tuesday morning or big lot. like batcave for $40. look where BL is selling batcave now! :lol: or look at arkham asylum from TRU during BF 2007. it was sitting on the shelves after christmas and was clearanced at $30. well, it's $200 minimum now from BL. :lol:

or look at the more recent events, MTT from TRU during BF 2008. sat on the shelves after christmas and clearanced for $40.

i don't get all this whinging about no sales when the evidence is to the contrary.
natelite

Postby darth jason » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:06 pm

I started reading these points of view in this thread and there are some very strong opinions here. My personal take on the subject is much simpler and thats live and let live. I mean, for example, there is not an army of scalpers taking the only episode 1 darth maul figure out of the box at toys r us before it goes on the shelf(alot of us went through this) so they can hold a 4 dollar figure and sell him for 30 and unless your lucky or unless the interest fizzels out this is the only place you can get it..at this time. Using this example from the turn on the century, I dont see how these scalpers(if thats really what they are there seems to be a lot of different opinions as to what is and what is not a scalper) really destroying any individual oppourtunity to pick up a lego set. At least on line or in stores limits are set on how many sets you can buy in a shot but this of course is not always the case. Its not like there's 1 set in a box of 24 these things come by the pallet load.

I have gotten many sets that are retired or still around for really good prices online or through my other sources only because nothing retail wise is moving anywhere in the country right now so i benefited from someone else's failed speculation because of a crappy market. Thats the gamble this "scalper" took when he took that chance.

In this current market/economy i think its kinda hard for me to attack the way someone makes a buck. That guys got to be pretty industrious to corner his local lego star wars market. So in all truth we all have the same chance as everyone else it just depends on how much effort you want to put in. Everything in life it seems is either illegal, immoral or fattening and that is why i like star wars lego's they're one of the few things i love that dont get me busted.

Capitalism isnt for wimps, sometimes your the windshield sometimes your the bug.

Peace me bookies.
darth jason

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 pm

natelite wrote:
well, you must be missing out on a lot of things then. amazon's selection is amazing. and amazon has 20% off during christmas sale as well.

I only said I had a hard time finding stuff BELOW MSRP. I end up buying things at MSRP if I want to make sure I don't miss them. I'll have to look into Amazon, though right now they don't have any AATs which is what I'm currently looking for, and what I haven't seen on local store shelves for a while. I won't be too upset if I miss it, though, since I was never really sold on the new color scheme.

natelite wrote: i don't see why order above $100 is impractical. over in australia, shipping cost starts from A$25 (about US$16). orders above A$250 (US$160), will be charged A$45 (US$30) shipping. that means shipping markups are closer to 20% vs the us's of 5-10%. yet ppl here still buy from S@H and not as vocal. :p .

Uh, when there aren't $100 worth of sets that I'm looking to buy? Which is much of the time, when you consider that I would ONLY be buying the sets that I have difficulty finding at a store. And yes, I know LEGO pricing is much higher elsewhere in the world. Sucks to be there, I guess, and if I were, I probably would be getting very little LEGO. (And US shipping costs are 5-20+% depending on the value of the order. It doesn't go under 10% until you order over $130 of stuff on the same order.) Doesn't mean I should be happy to pay that kind of markup over retail.

natelite wrote: my retailer choices are not that much different: TRU and target are my favorite and to a lesser extend, walmart. TRU has plenty of BOGO 50% or B2G3 free. yes, they do charge more than MSRP but when you have BOGO or B2G3, it's still below MSRP. target has 20% or sometimes coupon if you subscribe to their email distribution list. and during clearance, target will drop to 35% first, then 50% then 75%. i was able to nab several SW sets at 75% no prob.

Like I say, I call that lucky. If TRU ever has sales like that here, they don't advertize them, and I ain't dropping by just in case or calling them to check every week. Target here almost never has LEGO sales anymore, and their stocking of sets that have been out a few months is spotty. I look at clearance at Target whenever I am there, and the ONLY time I have EVER seen a Star Wars LEGO set on clearance was YEARS ago when I saw ONE Imperial Shuttle on clearance (which I bought).

natelite wrote: also, i used to get cheap lego from tuesday morning or big lot. like batcave for $40. look where BL is selling batcave now! :lol: or look at arkham asylum from TRU during BF 2007. it was sitting on the shelves after christmas and was clearanced at $30. well, it's $200 minimum now from BL. :lol:

or look at the more recent events, MTT from TRU during BF 2008. sat on the shelves after christmas and clearanced for $40.

i don't get all this whinging about no sales when the evidence is to the contrary.

Sorry, but the evidence where I live is NOT to the contrary. Star Wars LEGO on sale is few and far between. I've never seen a single SW LEGO set at Big Lots (though I admit it only opened in my area within the past year). The only store that has sales at all regularly is Fred Meyer, and their selection of SW LEGO is rather weak, and is sometimes excluded from the sale, anyway.

I'm not really meaning to seem like I'm whining about it. I buy what I buy, and miss what I miss. I just dispute the idea that getting SW LEGO BELOW MSRP at a local store is somehow a common occurance. It might be for you, it might be for people in MANY areas for all I know, but it isn't for me.
Mister Ed

Postby darth jason » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:58 pm

you should try looking on ebay. I just got a V-19 on an auction for $36 after shipping(closing bid was $28.99) Its crazy on there especially at alot of the stores since they're desperate and a lot are throwing in free shipping. As for the sales...its just a question of dilligence. If you want a good deal sometimes you have to put in the time. At least you can cut down the travel time by looking online. I picked up the MTT in my area TRU(san jose) for 60 bucks on black friday only to get home, check shop at home and find general grievous for 44 bucks.last year when they closed a TRU i picked up the naboo fighter/vuluture droid for 12.99

I have had very good luck at goodwill. Believe it or not. I mentioned this in a post somewhere else. Im not sure where but i did. In a 4 month period(last year) i have found 2 general grievous starfighters new in beat up boxes but totally complete $14 each. Anakin's jedi starfighter(clone wars) this was 9 bucks or twelve i cant remember but it was missing anakin( i have 2 of this type so no biggie). Ive seen some batman, aquanaughts and mission to mars sets, i didnt buy them because im into SW mostly and the batman set was trashed. i was digging through a bin and found half a dozen of the lego city/mission to mars impulse sets for a dollar each. they made great stocking stuffers. and party gifts. Some dude beat me to obi wan's jedi starfighter that was in a nice new box. i saw it at checkout and the price was $25 bucks.

as for big lots and tuesday morning i have seen lots of legos, big lots constantly has Bionical stuff. And i know tuesday morning has for sure but i wasnt able to get there on the tuesday they had them because i had to work. Those old lady's are tough boy its a madhouse there when they bring in the new stuff.

Im not sure where you said your at Mr Ed but since you mentioned Fred Myer I'm thinking Pacific Northwest?

Good luck, its out there man,
darth jason

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:12 pm

darth jason wrote:you should try looking on ebay. I just got a V-19 on an auction for $36 after shipping(closing bid was $28.99) Its crazy on there especially at alot of the stores since they're desperate and a lot are throwing in free shipping. As for the sales...its just a question of dilligence. If you want a good deal sometimes you have to put in the time. At least you can cut down the travel time by looking online. I picked up the MTT in my area TRU(san jose) for 60 bucks on black friday only to get home, check shop at home and find general grievous for 44 bucks.last year when they closed a TRU i picked up the naboo fighter/vuluture droid for 12.99

I have had very good luck at goodwill. Believe it or not. I mentioned this in a post somewhere else. Im not sure where but i did. In a 4 month period(last year) i have found 2 general grievous starfighters new in beat up boxes but totally complete $14 each. Anakin's jedi starfighter(clone wars) this was 9 bucks or twelve i cant remember but it was missing anakin( i have 2 of this type so no biggie). Ive seen some batman, aquanaughts and mission to mars sets, i didnt buy them because im into SW mostly and the batman set was trashed. i was digging through a bin and found half a dozen of the lego city/mission to mars impulse sets for a dollar each. they made great stocking stuffers. and party gifts. Some dude beat me to obi wan's jedi starfighter that was in a nice new box. i saw it at checkout and the price was $25 bucks.

as for big lots and tuesday morning i have seen lots of legos, big lots constantly has Bionical stuff. And i know tuesday morning has for sure but i wasnt able to get there on the tuesday they had them because i had to work. Those old lady's are tough boy its a madhouse there when they bring in the new stuff.

Im not sure where you said your at Mr Ed but since you mentioned Fred Myer I'm thinking Pacific Northwest?

Good luck, its out there man,

Thanks. Yeah I'm in Portland, OR. Thanks for the ideas. I admit that eBay makes me wary, especially when it seems like I'm finding stuff cheap. But that's more paranoia than any bad experiences.

I never would have considered Goodwill. I haven't been there much lately, but the only LEGO I ever saw there was tubs. Great for the kids, but not Star Wars. Maybe I'll check it out again. As for Big Lots, I've seen Bionicle there, too. And that's about it. No interest in Bionicle, though.

So, how do people find out about these TRU in-store deals? Are they listed on-line? My only TRU is too far to "drop in" without knowing what I'm going to be getting, and in the past they haven't been willing to hold merchandise for me to come in and buy when I check stuff over the phone.
Mister Ed

Postby darth jason » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Oh i forgot about George "Ill do anything for a buck"Lucas. Star wars shop has them below MSRP all the time(regular price) not to mention all kinds of other cool stuff. I got the sith infiltrator there last year for 29 bucks when it was not available every where else that is before it came back of course. Hobby stores,the small independent ones are a good bet too. Those little "smart kid stores" you know the type that dosent sell toy guns and stuff. They all seem to stock lego's and those hang around for a long time some times.

Diddams is good if you have them where your at and i think you can buy from them online, they seem to always have an unusually good selection, they have playmobile too lots of them at least the ones here in the bay area.

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/catego ... ory_id=323
darth jason

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars