Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars Days at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago January 28-30

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Star Wars Days at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago January 28-30

Postby Staff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Next weekend, from 10am to 7pm January 28-30, LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Chicago, IL will be hosting Star Wars Days for the second time. Planned activities include:

• Star Wars themed Model Builder Workshops where visitors can build an exclusive Slave I designed by LEGOLAND Discovery Center’s very own Master Model Builder. While supplies last.

• Opportunities to assist the Master Model Builder in an R2-D2 group build.

• Life-sized LEGO Darth Vader and LEGO R2-D2 models that give guests the best photo opportunity in the galaxy.

• 500 clone trooper and battle droid minifigures that are set for battle in MINILAND, a LEGOLAND Discovery Center exhibit featuring Chicago’s most iconic buildings recreated using LEGO bricks.

• A scavenger hunt to find ten characters hidden throughout MINILAND with the chance to win a family four-pack of Annual Passes.

• A Star Wars Speed Building Competition rewarding the fastest and most accurate builders.

• The 501st Legion

• Discounts in our Retail Shop.

LEGOLAND Discovery Center is located at Streets of Woodfield 601 N. Martingale Road (Intersection of Higgins Road and Martingale Road near Woodfield Mall) in Schaumburg, IL 60173. For more information, visit their website.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/01/20/star-wars-days-at-legoland-discovery-center-chicago-january-28-30/
Staff

Re: Star Wars Days at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago Janu

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:48 pm

For the first time in my adult life, I am actually close enough to a LEGOLAND to attend an event such as Star Wars days. My question is, is it really worth going to if you're not part of a LUG or something? It sounds like they'll just have a bunch of SW models around. Will it be a good venue to meet other AFOL's? Is the mega R2-D2 build a cool thing? How long will the Slave I "supplies" last? Is the scavenger hunt cool, or geared towards the 8-and-under crowd? Are the discounts any good? And where can I find out more about this 501st legion? S'pose I'll just google that last one. . .

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input anyone could offer! Thanks!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:05 pm

All I can say is that I have gone to the Star Wars Days at Lego Land for the past two years with my son. I am not part of a LUG. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and had fun with all the games and activities they had. I did talk to, and introduce myself, some people at the MOC table and had a great time. As far as the 501st is concerned, they usually have a booth set up to learn more about the group and local chapters. So the answer is yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus.... oops wrong answer. Kidding aside it is definitely worth attending. Just be willing to go around and talk to people.
banthafodder

Postby onions » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:35 am

the 501st has a hunt for the droids game, where you get a badge, and walk around the park. if a member of the 501st sees you, you get a stamp and a raffle ticket for some prizes. they've done this at LEGOLAND CA for as long as I can remember them having star wars days, and also at comic con. so chances are they will do something similar.

i'm not aware of the discovery center having an afol table for the event.

as far as discounts, that's the first i've heard of a discount being offered during an event.

regardless, i say just go and check it out and have fun.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Pepa Quin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 am

MrCRskater wrote:Will it be a good venue to meet other AFOL's?

Speaking on behalf of the Northern Illinois Lego Train Club, we had no idea this event was even going on. I don't know if any one of us even plans to attend - I'm not making any plans, myself. It doesn't seem like there's meant to any kind of AFOL connection to this event at all.
The events and activities seems mainly geared towards kids. DV and R2-D2 are always cool to see, but they're not all that unique (you can see them at the Lego store in Chicago, for instance).

So my recommendation is that if it's just you, pass it up. If you have kids, it could be a good time.
"Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice." - Wiley Miller
Flickr | Bricklink
Pepa Quin

Postby RfAurora » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Pepa Quin wrote:
MrCRskater wrote:Will it be a good venue to meet other AFOL's?

Speaking on behalf of the Northern Illinois Lego Train Club, we had no idea this event was even going on. I don't know if any one of us even plans to attend - I'm not making any plans, myself. It doesn't seem like there's meant to any kind of AFOL connection to this event at all.
The events and activities seems mainly geared towards kids. DV and R2-D2 are always cool to see, but they're not all that unique (you can see them at the Lego store in Chicago, for instance).

So my recommendation is that if it's just you, pass it up. If you have kids, it could be a good time.

And here I was gonna ask if the Master Builder at the event was you Pepa. It seems like it would be interesting to go to, but as for me, Ill just keep an eye on the weather.
RfAurora

Postby Pepa Quin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 am

Haha, no :)
Also, for those in the area who are interested in that big group build event, there will be another one in a month at the Northbrook Lego store, to celebrate their 'reopening' (they're moving to another storefront within the same mall). That will be Feb 18th - 20th. Also, it's free.
"Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice." - Wiley Miller
Flickr | Bricklink
Pepa Quin

Postby meeotch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:47 am

I see that they're doing an R2-D2 Master Model build. They tend to have these limited edition printed Duplo bricks at these events, and I've been trying to get the R2 brick for a year or two. Anyone who goes and is able to get a spare they're willing to trade, please see my thread in the B/S/T section. Thanks!
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks for your input, guys! Sounds like it could be fun, so I'll try and swing down there if I can. If I can land one of the printed duplo exclusives, I'll let you know, meeotch.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby SonOfSolo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Did anyone go?? How was it?? Pics??
SonOfSolo

Postby meeotch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:56 pm

Did anyone go?? How was it?? Bricks??
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Return to Star Wars